Idea: A web or mobile app that I could plan a bike ride based on streets with bike lanes.

Bytemarks

Dec 6, 2011, 2:02:08 PM12/6/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
Discussion for: A web or mobile app that I could plan a bike ride based on streets with bike lanes.

Todd Ogasawara

Dec 6, 2011, 3:02:12 PM12/6/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
Google Maps provides routing for driving, mass transit, bicycling and walking.

Frizzell, Forest

Dec 8, 2011, 1:34:18 PM12/8/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com

Aloha Tod,

Unless I’m doing it wrong, if I map a bicycle ride via Google maps it doesn’t necessarily plan the ride based on streets with known bike lanes.  I mapped a ride from UH to the Municipal building and it told me to bike down Young St which I know doesn’t have bike lanes.

The idea around this app would be to let bikers plan a ride on streets with known bike lanes. It would also help the agency in charge see where the gaps are and work with the cycling community on adding bike lanes where applicable.

Patrick Kelly

Dec 8, 2011, 6:08:15 PM12/8/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Google maps *does* take into consideration bike lanes.  You can also simply view the bicycle layer and see where there are known bicycle lanes.  There are plenty of cases where to get from A to B on a bicycle it's not possible to *always* use bicycle lanes.  Thus Young St happens.

I have successfully gotten Google to update their bicycle lane data, and I've seen changes in routing as a result.

Patrick Kelly

Dec 8, 2011, 6:09:23 PM12/8/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
A google group has been created for this topic.  (This was one of our action items at City Camp.)

Everyone interested is invited to join this group.