What open data is available from the City?

Bytemarks

Dec 28, 2011, 12:49:48 AM12/28/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
What data is available from the City? That is the million dollar question. I know there is a database of art work purchased by the City.

If there are datasets you are looking for please let the City know.

Feel free to list your requests here.

Todd Ogasawara

Dec 28, 2011, 3:35:51 AM12/28/11
to CityCampHNL
I'd like to get access of the following related sets of historical
data (near real-time would be great too :-)

1. Pedestrian accidents at intersections with dates/time-of-day & lat/
long info
2. Car accidents at intersections with dates/time-of-day & lat/long
info
3. Traffic density/activity at intersections and main streets with
dates/time-of-day & lat/long info

Data used for the maps at http://gis.hicentral.com/mapgallery/ would
be appreciated too.

Thanks, Todd O.

Aryn

Dec 29, 2011, 2:46:51 AM12/29/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
Accident info is available, just not the coordinates (mainly cross streets)...

Traffic density would take some advanced video metrics.

Aryn

Dec 29, 2011, 2:47:04 AM12/29/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
its how we made Kokua Traffic ...

Aryn

Dec 29, 2011, 2:47:30 AM12/29/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com

Todd Ogasawara

Dec 29, 2011, 4:28:55 AM12/29/11
to CityCampHNL
Thank you, Aryn.
So, how can we get access to this data.

FYI: Traffic density does not require "video metrics." Firms like
Inrix have this data via fleet vehicles and mobile app users. Waze and
others crowd source the information. But, I do not know if they
provide the raw or even summarized data.

Aryn

Dec 29, 2011, 3:46:22 PM12/29/11
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
We wanted to do a community based app... we had 791-Cars

1. people could call in accidents and get ranked like DIGG

2. run the app, it'll report your speed (but lots of people don't want to do that). We would have to pay people $0.05 / hour they ran it, then maybe people would run it...  but imagine they don't turn it off and we get walking reports. lol

Royce Jones

Jan 5, 2012, 5:23:01 PM1/5/12
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
I've just finished a four part guide describing how the GIS data is available from the City using REST services and where to find the code and data used for the map gallery.  I'm calling it the "GIS Guide for Honolulu Hackers" or GG4HH.  Here are the links:

Part 1 - GIS 101 and REST map services                            bit.ly/wDCvV0
Part 2 - ArcGIS Online and intelligent web maps                  bit.ly/w7Ngbw
Part 3 - Embedding web maps and creating map galleries     bit.ly/xXFYRI
Part 4 - JavaScript, Flex and Silverlight Web Mapping APIs   bit.ly/yLCIvA

Brian McLaughlin

Feb 13, 2012, 7:25:38 PM2/13/12
to cityc...@googlegroups.com
I found this federal clearinghouse in a NY Times article on 'big data'.  Beyond the datasets themselves, there is a lot of good information on data sharing, I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned here.  Interestingly, Hawaii is not listed as one of the 31 states recognized as having a site with access to machine readable data.