Yet another Android Bike Share app (but from Paris :))

Cyrille Berliat

Feb 1, 2015, 5:30:16 PM2/1/15
to citibike...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you've seen 100s of them, but here's another Android App I've developed while I was in Paris: Veliby

As you'll see, I'm not a UX designer, so some icons are a little clunky.

On the tech side though:
- uses gMaps API

- a middle ware of my own brew to:
*** convert any bike sharing info source into one standardized format the app can manage
===> I can add any city I want server-side without having to update the app.
===> It currently manages JCDecaux & Alta (json) cities

*** strip down useless info. There's a "full data" sync and a "dynamic data sync"
===> The dynamic data sync only sends the number of bikes/docks free in bytes, drastically improving performances over a full blown json parsing each time

*** avoid sharing my JCDecaux dev key. (even if today it doesn't matter)

*** cache requests to the bike sharing systems

Let me know if you have any feedback :)

Cheers,
Cyrille