Matplotlib Animated Heatmap of Bike Usage

Ben Everson

Aug 20, 2014, 11:26:25 AM8/20/14
to citibike...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody, I just recently hacked together a little side project to create an animated heat map of bike usage using matplotlib basemap and Pandas. Check it out as a notebook here: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/beneverson/Citibike_Heatmap/blob/master/Citibike-Heatmap.ipynb . Feel free to do whatever you want with the code. The corresponding github page is here: https://github.com/beneverson/Citibike_Heatmap . Cheers!

Charley Ferrari

Feb 6, 2015, 3:37:21 PM2/6/15
to citibike...@googlegroups.com
Looks cool! I actually did a similar project, averaging out the full data available to get a typical weekday pattern, and animating by the hour in R: https://github.com/charleyferrari/CUNY/blob/master/IS%20607%20Data%20Acquisition%20and%20Management/Semester%20Project/mapstationpopularity.R

One tip, when I mapped it out I noticed the distribution of "flows" had outliers. I ended up capping them in order to get the detail of what was happening in the center, and not end up with a few bright red and blue spots.