Free 4x6' sheets of plexi -- should I nab em' ?

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 4, 2016, 1:54:33 PM12/4/16
to Hive13
The guy offering free plotters replied that the plotters are spoken for, but since I said we were a hacker space, he offered:

20 4x6' sheets of plexiglass.

I'm asking here first if I should get these for hive13 members because storage space may be an issue. I could go get em in my truck if folks are interested.

Lorin

Michael Bell-Horwath

Dec 4, 2016, 2:36:31 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested---I'd store them in the garage at home, unless other members want them to at the space. Do you know the thickness?
Thanks!
Mike

John2pt0

Dec 4, 2016, 3:05:41 PM12/4/16
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I could see my way to a sheet or two (depending on thickness).

John2pt0

Tiffany Bell-Horwath

Dec 4, 2016, 3:51:32 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
yes get them! :)

Tiffany R. Bell-Horwath
Chemistry Ph.D
Visiting Assistant Professor
University of Cincinnati

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 4, 2016, 4:06:12 PM12/4/16
to Hive13
Just called. I'll be heading down there to meet him at 6:30.

Also, the guy no-showed on the plotters,  so he needs em out today and offered one or all to me.

Ryan said that we had a plotter and nobody used it, but I thought that was a vinyl cutter, not a color plotter... If it were a plotter, well, I would have used it frequently.

He's got two Inkjet plotters (sorta like public library) and one pen plotter.

If I need to, I can stash stuff in my attic / basement. Can always donate...

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 4, 2016, 4:06:35 PM12/4/16
to Hive13
WHO CAN HELP ME LOAD MY TRUCK AT 6:30 IN FLORENCE???

Tiffany Bell-Horwath

Dec 4, 2016, 4:31:46 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
if mike is willing to keep watchng Oliver I can help. send me an email off list with the address.

Raven Abird

Dec 4, 2016, 5:06:12 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in some of the plexi glass. Especially if it is thinner.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 4, 2016, 5:10:50 PM12/4/16
to Hive13
Yeah, but I'm not going to successfully get 20 sheets of plexi all alone.
Anyone? Tiff? Is Mike able to kid-watch?

Tiffany Bell-Horwath

Dec 4, 2016, 5:25:42 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Ill be there. Anyone else?

do you have room for it all in your vehicle?

Michael Bell-Horwath

Dec 4, 2016, 5:25:42 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Yes! (or tiffany can watch and i'll help..)

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 4, 2016, 5:32:02 PM12/4/16
to Hive13
Whatever. I'll be there. We'll need two vehicles. My truck can definitely take the plexi, but may want to put the plotter in a car (I only have single-cab).

Message has been deleted

Dave B.

Dec 4, 2016, 7:48:21 PM12/4/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Lorin, what do you think about using a plotter as a solder paste printer?
-D

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Timothy Gregg <timothyw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Correction there are 3 plotters

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 5, 2016, 8:20:14 AM12/5/16
to Hive13
Yes, one of the plotters is an HP pen plotter. I have seen these adapted to draw resist traces and to do paste, etc. Old HP pen plotters can accept all manner of stylus, and most people make their own pens. They can have a cutting head made, etc etc etc.

Of course the same can be done with a modded 3d printer, but we'll see...

I've been looking for one casually for this for a while. They are big, though and I never jumped on ebay.

The ink jet models are actually really nice. If we racked one (or both) up with the vinyl cutter (vertical saves space), it would be useful. I am hearing from people that the plotter we had previously was not used due to the cost of supplies. We now have more resources... Of course, if nobody uses them, it wouldn't be hard to find a new home for em.

Ryan Hershey

Dec 5, 2016, 11:11:26 AM12/5/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I don't recall supplies being the problem. We had multiple rolls of paper and sets of ink. It's just one of those tools that sounds more useful than it turns out to be. We've had similar experiences at work.

For as often as you really need large format printing, it winds up being far less hassle and lower cost to send your file to a print shop.

That said, the offer to build a tiered wall rack stands if this is something the community decides they want.

- Ry
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspa...@googlegroups.com.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 5, 2016, 4:31:25 PM12/5/16
to Hive13
It's up to the group. I can always take one and hack it into a gigantic fax machine...

Jamie J

Dec 5, 2016, 5:16:19 PM12/5/16
to Hive13 Hackerspace
If it's the stuff in the front hallway, I would like a couple sheets. They are good for making LED signs.

Tiffany Bell-Horwath

Dec 5, 2016, 6:08:44 PM12/5/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

Yes it is. Please please please take some.

On Dec 5, 2016 5:16 PM, "Jamie J" <bitme...@gmail.com> wrote:
If it's the stuff in the front hallway, I would like a couple sheets. They are good for making LED signs.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 5, 2016, 10:11:57 PM12/5/16
to Hive13
Dave, regarding solder paste dispenser:

https://youtu.be/tgXtRDVvhdU

A 3d printer really is pretty ideal for this. That HP pen plotter, although it has awesome resolution and calibration, is huge.

Jamie J

Dec 6, 2016, 1:21:06 PM12/6/16
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I will be by sometime Wednesday to pick it up. I have to barrow my brother's van.

Michael Bell-Horwath

Dec 6, 2016, 3:16:28 PM12/6/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I have project in mind that will use 5-10 sheets. There were more sheets than originally reported, definitely more than 20 although I'm not sure we got a final count!

Mike

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Jamie J <bitme...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will be by sometime Wednesday to pick it up. I have to barrow my brother's van.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 7, 2016, 3:05:45 PM12/7/16
to Hive13
I'll take a few. I do have some projects these would be good for.

Also, do we want to cut down a couple and keep them for laser classes & training, etc. The price is right for beginner usage...

Timothy Gregg

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 8, 2016, 7:07:00 AM12/8/16
to Hive13
I'll be in today and cut some of that plexi down to fit the lazor. I guess I finally have an excuse to get a proper plexi scoring knife now. Also, Andrew's bad-ass tables will make this easier.

Jamie J

Dec 9, 2016, 5:29:58 PM12/9/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I had a little trouble trying to barrow a vehicle over the weekend. I should be able to get the plexiglass either Tuesday or Wednesday (maybe sooner). I just want about 3 sheets. Thank You again.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 11, 2016, 10:26:50 AM12/11/16
to Timothy Gregg
I picked up a new, better plexi cutter yesterday. If anyone would like to help, let's cut these into usable sizes and pieces that don't require a truck to transport (and fit the big laser).

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
thanks lorin :) I'd like to help, although won't be available next week.
Mike

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Lorin Edwin Parker <sheep...@gmail.com> wrote:
I picked up a new, better plexi cutter yesterday. If anyone would like to help, let's cut these into usable sizes and pieces that don't require a truck to transport (and fit the big laser).

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Jamie J

Dec 11, 2016, 8:43:46 PM12/11/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for offering to cut them down. This will help me also. I do want a couple uncut sheets because I want to use them for a desk top.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Dec 12, 2016, 1:09:27 PM12/12/16
to Hive13
OK

Jamie J

Dec 14, 2016, 2:17:04 PM12/14/16
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I brought in 2 blue handled plexiglass cutters for anyone to use. one is old, one is brand new never used. use caution when cutting & please put them back for others to use. They are hanging on the rack by the lounge area by the plexiglass.