Hello darkness, my old friend.

Ryan Hershey

Jan 14, 2017, 10:15:09 PM1/14/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
The light fixture nearest the CNC machine took a ladder hit during the dust collection work today. One of the plastic end posts is broken and will not firmly hold a tube. The tube itself is fine, and has been stored on the roof of the lounge for safekeeping.

So, a question for the HiveMind. If repairing said plastic bit isn't a viable option, should we simply replace with a like T12 fixture, or should we consider something else? Possibly something brighter, more rugged, and mounted a tish higher like the brighter fixture in the welding room?

Lighting isn't really my thing, so it seemed worthwhile to see if the group had useful ideas.

- Ry

Andrew

Jan 14, 2017, 10:38:23 PM1/14/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 10:15:09 PM UTC-5, Ryan wrote:
The light fixture nearest the CNC machine took a ladder hit during the dust collection work today.

Clearly that idiot had been trying to accomplish something at the Hive.  WTF?!?!?!  Can we have the guilty party drug out into the street, whipped, drawn and quartered, and fed to ravenous cats?

Anyway, I think we need a jacob's ladder.  Anything else isn't enough light!

Timothy Gregg

Jan 14, 2017, 10:47:00 PM1/14/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I consider this an official proposal, I vote yes!

Andrew

Jan 14, 2017, 10:56:40 PM1/14/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
This is a two parter:

1)  Torture and kill the offending party
2)  Jacob's ladder in the corner.

Brad Walsh

Jan 14, 2017, 11:13:10 PM1/14/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Let's move out of the dark ages. (Ha)

Light of America LED Utility Shoplight 40 watt 4200 Lumen 48" (4 feet) with pull On/Off. One piece Aluminum housing. Hanging hardware (chain) included. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UTX4HJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_vzVEyb4E09VDD

These things run $50 each. We could get two and light the whole area.

Brad
--
Thanks, Brad

John2pt0

Jan 15, 2017, 8:11:11 AM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

As a maker space, we could also enhance it with color and pattern changes that could randomly startle the CNC operator awake,
during long milling runs!  ; )

Andrew

Jan 15, 2017, 8:59:37 AM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

While I ordinarily would agree on the upgrade to LED, in this case we're not paying for the electricity, the bulbs last almost as long, and the fixtures are $12 at the Horrible Destination.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-Light-White-T12-Fluorescent-Shop-Light-1233-SHOPLIGHT/203081577

Brad Walsh

Jan 15, 2017, 9:57:09 AM1/15/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
You could just buy them and use the warden sheet to get reimbursed.
--
Thanks, Brad

Andrew

Jan 15, 2017, 10:11:24 AM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

Yeah, I think that's going to be the plan.  The only thing really holding me back is I'm not sure which bulbs we have, or how long the fixture is.

Brad Walsh

Jan 15, 2017, 10:18:12 AM1/15/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I think there is a set of bulbs in the bathroom (shorter length).

--
Thanks, Brad

Chris Davis

Jan 15, 2017, 3:48:32 PM1/15/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
If it's just the connector that holds the bulb itself that broke, it's a fairly standardized part called a 'tombstone' and costs <$5 at any local hardware store. Replacing it should be even less work than replacing the entire fixture.

For best efficiency you totally remove the ballast and wire the tombstones at one end (new ones included) straight to 120V.

Note: for either of the above solutions, you may think that just turning off the light switch is safe enough, but the yutz that wired the fixture might have put the switch on the neutral line instead of the hot, which makes it basically impossible to remove / install a bulb without shorting it to the frame, much less rewire the fixture. So just flip the breaker no matter what you are doing.

Are the fixtures using T12 bulbs, or T8? I may have close to an entire case of them I'd rather donate and continue my LED conversion project.

Raven Abird

Jan 15, 2017, 3:51:06 PM1/15/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I suggest going with the fixtures that are more common and easy to get bulbs for.
  A Jacob's Ladder sounds just lovely with all of that sawdust in the air.

Nancy

John2pt0

Jan 15, 2017, 7:05:48 PM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I have an unused 48" fluorescent ceiling fixture is that's of any interest.

Andrew

Jan 15, 2017, 7:14:33 PM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 7:05:48 PM UTC-5, John2pt0 wrote:
I have an unused 48" fluorescent ceiling fixture is that's of any interest.

The fixture in question is 8', so that would be preferable.

Andrew

Jan 15, 2017, 7:18:42 PM1/15/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 3:48:32 PM UTC-5, Chris Davis wrote:
If it's just the connector that holds the bulb itself that broke, it's a fairly standardized part called a 'tombstone' and costs <$5 at any local hardware store. Replacing it should be even less work than replacing the entire fixture.

Perfect, found one at Home Depot, I'll pick one up tomorrow, and get it installed Tuesday.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Plunger-Fluorescent-Socket-2-Pack-SL-SS/100493843

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 9:24:08 AM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
And on the second day, his noodliness reached out his blessed pasta appendage and said "Let there be light" and behold there was!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Timothy Gregg

Jan 16, 2017, 10:57:12 AM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace