New space definite needs:

Lorin Edwin Parker

Jan 16, 2017, 3:25:01 PM1/16/17
to Hive13
Since we will have two, very separate spaces, we will need communication via a:

PNEUMATIC TUBE TRANSPORT!!!

Anyone down to make it awesome?

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 3:29:01 PM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
How about Pneumatic Tube Trash Removal?  I hear it's a real thing at some 100 year old apartments in NYC, along with mail delivery.

Lorin Edwin Parker

Jan 16, 2017, 3:35:57 PM1/16/17
to Hive13
You're being overly practical, Andrew. It doesn't need to accomplish anything practical, in fact, it's much cooler if it doesn't.

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 3:42:49 PM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace
LOL!  Semaphore Internet?

Chris Anderson

Jan 16, 2017, 4:58:33 PM1/16/17
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I am down. My one specification is that it has to be large/powerful enough to move a 1TB laptop hard drive so I can use it to demonstrate the difference between bandwidth and latency.

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 5:37:14 PM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace, det...@gmail.com
Pneumatic Tube Transport TCP?  It can operate by sending HDD back and forth!

Lorin Edwin Parker

Jan 16, 2017, 8:30:16 PM1/16/17
to Hive13
Yes, I like your thinking.

I also want a totally pointless mode in which it just shoots things around in a loop without stopping...

A USB HDD isn't too big. The trick for larger capsules is simply a good seal and a gentle bend. Sharp corners are not good with pneumatic things (whether sending HDD or sucking up dust). Nobody ever seems to understand that one except Andrew... Air pressure does not handle corners as well as most think...

Lorin

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 8:58:15 PM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 8:30:16 PM UTC-5, Lorin Edwin Parker wrote:
Yes, I like your thinking.

I also want a totally pointless mode in which it just shoots things around in a loop without stopping...

I always thought the train in Mr Roger's Neighborhood was the coolest.  We could do a REALLY big loop with all the space a the hive.

Kevin S

Jan 16, 2017, 9:00:10 PM1/16/17
to Unknown
Slot car track with bracket racing :)

Andrew

Jan 16, 2017, 9:26:12 PM1/16/17
to Hive13 Hackerspace

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 9:00:10 PM UTC-5, Kevin Schuler wrote:
Slot car track with bracket racing :)

That would double membership in a month!