Proposal for Wireless Access Point upgrade

Ian Blais

Jun 14, 2016, 9:22:23 AM6/14/16
to Hive13 Hackerspace
Hello all,

Short version: I am proposing a budget of $150 for the purposes of acquiring a new Wireless Access Point for the space.

Long Version: Some of you may have noticed network connection at the space has been cutting in and out occasionally. It is intermittent which makes it difficult to track down but I believe it is being caused by our wireless access point. This AP is old and even if I could fix it it would likely break in some new and fantastic way relatively soon. The plan instead is to purchase us a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro (~$130. The budget has some wiggle room in case I need additional cables, etc.) which gives us WAY better speeds and WAY more stability. I will also be relocating the access point to a better location while I'm at it. The current location/orientation is less than ideal for maximizing signal strength and coverage.

Side note: I wont be at the next meeting when this is actually voted on. So put me down for a yes :)

Regards,
Ian B.

Jon Neal

Jun 14, 2016, 9:25:16 AM6/14/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I won't be at the next meeting either, so put me down for a yes as well.

Ubiquiti hardware is nice!!

Brad Walsh

Jun 14, 2016, 9:44:31 AM6/14/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Yes from me if I'm not there.

New hardware. 😀

Thanks,

Brad

Dave B.

Jun 14, 2016, 4:18:03 PM6/14/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
yes
When it is retired, I'd like that WAP back please if it is not going to be in active service.

-D

Raven Abird

Jun 14, 2016, 4:42:54 PM6/14/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I think I may not make it either my vote is yes.

I may not make it either my vote is also yes.
Nancy

Ian Wilson

Jun 14, 2016, 7:32:20 PM6/14/16
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I have these WAP's and love them; make sure that they have the latest firmware otherwise they will disassociate randomly.

iw

Kevin S

Jun 14, 2016, 7:39:41 PM6/14/16
to Unknown