Speidel grinder/mill

Shaun Pett

Jun 15, 2022, 3:00:19 AM6/15/22
to Cider Workshop
Hi all.

Starting up a small cidery business that is based around wild apples. We're looking at getting the Speidel mill. Just wondering if it can handle small apples? Andy Brennan in his book talks about some mills having blades with too much space and the tiny wild apples don't get milled.

Cheers.

Claude Jolicoeur

Jun 15, 2022, 8:06:35 AM6/15/22
to Cider Workshop
I don't think you'll have problems. Wild apples are not "that" tiny! And in any case you wouldn't harvest pea-size apples - it would take forever to obtain a sizeable amount.
I don't remember reading that in Andy's book - on which page is it?

Shaun Pett

Jun 15, 2022, 8:22:28 AM6/15/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input, Claude.

Yes, tiny apples wouldn’t be so efficient—but we have been known to be a bit mad if they taste good.

I only have a digital copy of Andy’s book. He talks about the grinder in the Cider Section. Here’s a screenshot:

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Claude Jolicoeur

Jun 15, 2022, 8:40:34 AM6/15/22
to Cider Workshop
Note he says smaller apples fall in the craks of the conveyer belt, not the same thing at all - and a problem that has nothing to do with the mill itself.
Note also the OESCO mill Andy mentions is of the grinder type while the Spiedel is centrifugal type. But I don't think this would make a huge difference.

Cider

Jun 15, 2022, 8:59:41 AM6/15/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Here are some pictures of the internals of various apple mills (including Speidel) which I posted many years ago http://www.cider.org.uk/mills.html

The Speidel mill comprises an initial top blade followed by a very efficient main knife / fixed hammer blade, rotating at high speed.  There is a percussive effect as well as a cutting effect. UK cider apples are often pretty small and I never heard anyone here complain that the Speidel couldn’t do the job.

It’s become the most recommended mill for amateur cidermakers in this country over the last decade or so.  If your apples were as tiny as currants you might have a few fruits left undamaged, but honestly I don’t think you will have a problem..

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 15 Jun 2022, at 08:01, Shaun Pett <shaun...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all.

Starting up a small cidery business that is based around wild apples. We're looking at getting the Speidel mill. Just wondering if it can handle small apples? Andy Brennan in his book talks about some mills having blades with too much space and the tiny wild apples don't get milled.

Cheers.

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Miguel Pereda

Jun 16, 2022, 3:31:52 AM6/16/22
to Cider Workshop
Somewhere and some time ago I read that centrifugal mills tend to oxidize the pulp more and consequently the must has that character. My favorite is the wooden grater mill. A system similar to the one you see in Andrew's photos but nobody manufactures it industrially, you have to build it yourself.
Miguel A. Pereda