Not sure what this is

howard roth

Jan 27, 2011, 10:25:57 AM1/27/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I  am a newbie cider maker in Illinois.  This year I built a press and grinder and got about 25 gallons of juice (apples were a mix of Northern spy, grimes golden, golden russet and ida red).  I have five carboys sitting around quietly but one of them developed a white waxy film.  The cider tastes very good at this point.  I have posted this on another discussion site and the pictures and discussion are here:  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/not-sure-what-but-220336/

I have received several widely different opinions as to what this is and would be curious what the folks in this group thought.  I did rack the cider out from underneath the film onto 1/4 tsp sulfite, waited 24 hours and then added 5 ounces corn sugar and 1/4 package yeast before bottling.

Thanks in advance
Howard

Andrew Lea

Jan 27, 2011, 10:40:42 AM1/27/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On 27/01/2011 15:25, howard roth wrote:

> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/not-sure-what-but-220336/
>
> I have received several widely different opinions as to what this is and
> would be curious what the folks in this group thought.

It's a film yeast. Very common in cider if the air can get in. See here
(second para) for more about it http://www.cider.org.uk/part5.htm

Keep the air out and preferably treat with SO2.

Andrew

--
Wittenham Hill Cider Page
http://www.cider.org.uk

howard roth

Jan 27, 2011, 11:24:44 AM1/27/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.  I believe this is it.  Sounds like my instinct to sulphite and bottle carbonate (cuts down on oxygen in the bottles)  was probably correct although I may have undersulphited (50ppm rather than 100ppm as you suggest.) I have learned that I have too much headspace in my carboys and will correct that.

Howard

Andrew Lea

Jan 27, 2011, 11:31:10 AM1/27/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

With fairly acid fruit as you probably have then 50 ppm sulphite will
probably do the job. Its antimicrobial effectiveness depends on pH /
acidity. At low pH (high acid) it's more effective. Film yeasts thrive
on air so no air = no growth.