Video Editing and Production with Chromebooks?

RBelprez

Jun 15, 2012, 2:13:10 AM6/15/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if there is a way/app/program that will allow students to make their own "YouTube" quality videos using Chromebooks?  Being a web-based OS in a slimmed down machine with limited hardware (Memory, Processor speed, etc.) I feel like Chromebooks would have limited potential in the video editing and production department.

I know Picasa offers some options for making sideshows with music and captions, but can is be used to produce, say, a 5-10 minute video with several spliced clips from a variety of sources integrating music, transitions, and captions?  And if so, can those video projects be rendered/saved as a .mp4 video for publication on the web (or a .wmv, .avi, .flv file type equivalent).

If you've had any experience using Chromebooks for video editing and production, I'd love to hear what works, and what won't work given the specific limitations of Chrome.

:c)

Jason Markey

Jun 15, 2012, 9:23:42 AM6/15/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend WeVideo , try that and see how it works.  I've used it to some extent and it has a lot more functionality than anything else I've seen so far.  There are some limitations on the free account.
Jason

Jason Markey
Assistant Principal
East Leyden High School
Franklin Park, IL  60131

Chris Williams

Jun 15, 2012, 3:48:20 PM6/15/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
The reviews are not good for this app; do you think it is really worth
the installation? Chris

Dan Sitter

Jun 17, 2012, 10:20:55 AM6/17/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
We have a broadcast journalism class and they used WeVideo to produce some pieces.  The free version is a bit stodgy, but it's worth a shot.  You could also try pixorial as well, considering that is combined into Drive now, so working with that on the Chromebook is similar to WeVideo as a Drive ready app.  I usually read reviews, but having a classroom of kids working on it usually shows the truth pretty quickly.

Also, YouTube's video editor and creator has worked well for many teachers as well.  I've had my eyes open for video creation and editing on the Chromebooks for some time now, and these are what I've seen work so far.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromebook-teachers?hl=en.
>

> --
> Jason Markey
> Assistant Principal
> East Leyden High School
> Franklin Park, IL  60131
> 847-451-3025
> www.leyden212.org

Mike Swanson

Jul 5, 2012, 4:37:36 PM7/5/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I know this discussion was a few weeks ago but, just having gotten back from extended ISTE, I want to throw in my 2 cents about WeVideo. I spent a bunch of time with John Hallman from WeVideo before a Demo Slam in the Google booth. This is a fantastic and easy solution and they have a lot to offer education. I am sure they would be happy to address your concerns. We talked at length about the reviews and I got a chance to use WeVideo a bunch over the few days at ISTE. Don't give up on it because of reviews. Think of it this way; when you go to one of those restaurants that puts a survey on the receipt, do you fill it out. I bet you never do if you have good or even great service. However, when we get ticked, we are always ready to attack. Some of those reviews are also due to the terms and I think those are a bit of paranoia; WeVideo is not going to keep your videos.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/chromebook-teachers/-/rl8ND_DGC4QJ.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
---Henry Ford
-----------------------------
Mike Swanson
Google Certified Trainer

Chris

Jul 5, 2012, 8:17:39 PM7/5/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I have spent the last week communicating with WeVideo support and they are great.  They worked out some of the issues I was experiencing and are putting renewed effort to correct the upload error message.  I have put it through some paces during our conversations and things seem to be working fine.  I could not have asked for a more timely and appropriate response from them...and by the way, tech support for WeVideo is on Oslo, Norway.  I look forward to using it with teachers and students.  Thanks for your comments from ISTE. Chris

Sent from my iPad

Linda Branham

Jul 5, 2012, 8:27:24 PM7/5/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Quick Question:
What do I need to do to record a video in WeVideo? I go to My Videos- add media- and then I want to record a video but cannot.......Maybe this is a crazy question, but you sound like you may know the answer.
Thanks,
Linda
--
Linda Branham
5th Grade

Chris Williams

Jul 6, 2012, 9:33:44 AM7/6/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
You don't really record a video in WeVideo; you import your images,
videos,audios into WeVideo and create your final video of all this
media that you have imported. You can record your own voice in
WeVideo to add to your version. WeVideo works sort of like
MovieMaker. Drag and drop your imported content into the timeline and
add your transitions/text where you want it. Then, when you are done,
you can save it as an mp4 or post it to your social networking site.
I will say that the website has all the features to do what you want
to do; in the app on the chromebook, you can create a new project but
to access your existing projects, you will need to open them from
within your google Drive account in order to edit them. The titles
listed in the app look like you can access them directly from the app
but you can't. Chris

Mike Swanson

Jul 6, 2012, 9:45:54 AM7/6/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I might have heard they are working on a way to use the built-in web cam if I was listening closely.
Message has been deleted

Dan Sitter

Aug 15, 2012, 10:40:12 PM8/15/12
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I added the YouTube uploader to my site and it works on the Chromebook, although since I don't know how to do javascript, I'm not 100% sure how I got it to work so well.  I'm just really good at pushing buttons and somehow things work:-)

Cory Sakai

Apr 14, 2013, 4:46:54 PM4/14/13
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Stupeflix allows recording from webcam.

The problem with all of these however, is that you have to be online in order to use them.  Too bad nothing allows you to combine both on/off line worlds.  I am looking into the  Chromebook option and this is one problem with all of the Chrome video editors.

>>> --

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromebook-teachers?hl=en.
>>

>> --
>>
>> “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster
>> horses.”
>> ---Henry Ford
>>
>> All email correspondence to and from this address is
>> subject to NC Public Records law, which may result in
>> monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.
>>

>> --

>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromebook-teachers?hl=en.
>>

> --
> Linda Branham
> 5th Grade
> Math/Science
> Langford Elementary

Tara Goh

Steve Gustafson

Dec 29, 2013, 9:16:28 AM12/29/13
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
One way I've gotten around this is to have students make a presentation on google docs and then go to our library to record their voice, music or whatever on our Macs using Screencastomatic. So it isn't a solo chromebook solution, but it does work. I have them write a script they can read as they go through their presentation.

If someone has a chromebook only solution, I'd love to hear it.

Steve

Steve Gustafson
Science Instructor
Chequamegon School District
Park Falls, WI
District 1 WSST Director

Dan Sitter

Dec 29, 2013, 11:28:41 AM12/29/13
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Why not just use the YouTube editor?

Sent from my iPad
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chromebook Teachers" group.

Follow FDL Schools on Twitter
http://twitter.com/fdlschools

NON_CONFIDENTIAL:

This e-mail message together with any attachment or reply should not be considered private or confidential because they may be archived and subject to public disclosure under certain circumstances, such as request made pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.

E Everett

Shay Honey

Jan 11, 2014, 7:21:33 PM1/11/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to upload from my canon camera to youtube editor. One it takes forever then it doesn't upload it gets to a point where it never uploads. I know using we video it says the video is too long too. But it's only like a 7 min Video. Can someone help me understand how to use the software so I can edit the video and then I can upload it to YouTube. Chomebook is nice but very limited. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

E Everett

Jan 12, 2014, 4:40:04 AM1/12/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, they're very limited with regard to video editing, but browser-based editors are getting better every day.  I'm thinking that your video is too high definition and therefore too large.  Try making videos in a lower setting.  I'd also recommend that you drag the video to your hard drive first before uploading.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Shay Honey <my4cha...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's hard to upload from my canon camera to youtube editor. One it takes forever then it doesn't upload it gets to a point where it never uploads. I know using we video it says the video is too long too. But it's only like a 7 min Video. Can someone help me understand how to use the software so I can edit the video and then I can upload it to YouTube. Chomebook is nice but very limited. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

If we don’t redesign the culture of teaching and learning and ask some fundamental questions about the design of learning environments, our investment in technology will be wasted. Shouldn’t we define the problem as a learning design problem, rather than a technology problem?    --Alan November

Dan Sitter

Jan 28, 2014, 9:46:13 PM1/28/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
So after all the back and forth, anyone decide the best method?

E Everett

Jan 29, 2014, 11:37:55 AM1/29/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I've found WeVideo to be the best at this point.

Steve Gustafson

Jan 29, 2014, 1:18:53 PM1/29/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Wevideo is an app in the Chrome Web Store, for those that aren't aware. I haven't used it yet.

E Everett

Jan 29, 2014, 2:24:33 PM1/29/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I use it straight from the site...

Erling Steen

Feb 17, 2014, 9:25:11 AM2/17/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
WeVideo is really a pay for app disguised as free. They ask for money the moment you open it and thats the tone of voice all the way. Personally I want nothing to do with such people they are dishonest. And I would never trust them.

Giankarlo Padilla

May 23, 2014, 3:29:38 PM5/23/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
i made this video using wevideo https://www.wevideo.com/hub/#media/ci/172309300

Ryan Case

May 23, 2014, 9:24:56 PM5/23/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com

Try WeVideo.

E Everett

May 24, 2014, 6:35:30 AM5/24/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
definitely WeVideo.

bri...@plymouth.k12.ct.us

Sep 16, 2014, 9:11:38 AM9/16/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what kind of file Wemovie "creates" produces?

On Friday, June 15, 2012 2:13:10 AM UTC-4, RBelprez wrote:
[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.

blucreeper girl

Ladonna Mielke

Nov 18, 2014, 5:18:24 PM11/18/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I use WeVideo with my school classes.

Richard Fletcher

Nov 18, 2014, 5:20:13 PM11/18/14
to chromeboo...@googlegroups.com
I would agree.  We have several teachers utilizing that, and they love it.

Richard Fletcher
Technology Specialist
Smithville School District

Confidentiality Notice for Smithville R-II School District: This correspondence and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message.

Matthew Nickerson

Nov 19, 2015, 9:06:44 AM11/19/15
to Chromebook Teachers
How do all the WeVideo users deal with COPPA and FERPA?

On Friday, June 15, 2012 at 2:13:10 AM UTC-4, RBelprez wrote:
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Brian McLane

Mar 2, 2016, 11:43:29 PM3/2/16
to Chromebook Teachers
The paid classroom version is COPPA/FERPA compliant. The free version is not.

noah.g.vl...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2016, 12:45:06 PM6/23/16
to Chromebook Teachers

terrible request!!!
i tried it and every time i did try it it failed my request

Aina Vallès

May 19, 2017, 6:57:48 AM5/19/17
to Chromebook Teachers
We video is not realy good beacuse the we video logo apers on one side of the screen.

El divendres, 15 juny de 2012 8:13:10 UTC+2, RBelprez va escriure:

Arthur Schultz

Feb 12, 2018, 11:05:56 AM2/12/18
to Chromebook Teachers
I have been using Chromebooks to create Google Slides, and using the 'Screencastify' extension to record a screencast.  This can create video from your webcam, and save it to Google Drive.

I find WeVideo often loses student work, and often corrupts projects.  And my school does not pay for it.

I look forward to Adobe Spark becoming available to students in the new year.  It is not a true editor, but it does create scaffolding for the student.

Until Chromebooks are robust enough to handle true video editors, I still would rather teach video editing with a computer lab using iMovie, or Adobe Premiere.

Best of luck!
Message has been deleted