On the state of the Chinese Mac site at Yale

TenThousandThings

Jul 4, 2015, 9:13:24 PM7/4/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Yale changed something and my login stopped working. Sometime last year, or maybe in 2013. I'm not sure, but I imagine they felt it was not being updated regularly enough. My life has been all about Alzheimer's caregiving for most of these past two years and more, so what can I say? Or maybe it is just some security review and it will be no problem to get reinstated. Although they did not respond to two emails about it.

I learned of this when I went to update the site to OS X 10.8 (see the link below), intending to continue on and thoroughly update the site for Yosemite (10.10) at that same time.

I need to drive up to New Haven (I live nearby) and talk to someone about it. I hope they will reinstate my login (I'm no longer a student there, obviously), since this was originally a CEAS-sponsored site, but we will see. If they say no, then I will try to get them to upload an archival (10.8) version of the site, which I have put here for now:

If they say no to reinstating me, but agree to upload the "archival" version of the site, I will do what I say in the first sentence on the above landing page -- start a new site for OS X 10.11 at the above URL. Since no Macs were left behind by either Yosemite or the upcoming El Capitan (i.e., all machines that will run 10.9 will also run 10.11), and there has been a sort of transition period for the Chinese features between 10.9 (basically the same as 10.8) and 10.10 (transitional), and now on to the most fully-realized Chinese Mac OS ever in 10.11, this is a good time to make some changes.

The site needs a complete redesign for today's Apple, not to mention the not-so-new world of OS X-iOS continuity (you will also notice that I've also cut iOS out of the archival edition). So regardless, the old site design ends at 10.8. The end of an era.

If I get a flat no (unlikely, but you never know), then both the old site and the new site will be at chinesemac.org, and the Yale site will remain stuck where it is now.

If they say yes, then both the old site and the new site will be at Yale. There are Great Firewall reasons to keep the site at Yale if at all possible. It is far less likely to be blocked inside China if it is hosted there.

Regards,

Eric Rasmussen

Ant

Jul 4, 2015, 9:16:16 PM7/4/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the updates and keep up the good work. ^-^

Kerim Friedman

Jul 4, 2015, 9:37:25 PM7/4/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

You've done an incredible job all these years, I'm glad the site is being kept online. You might also see if Archive-It (run by the folks at the internet archive) could keep a copy mirrored on their archives.

Kerim

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系

Ant

Jul 4, 2015, 9:55:36 PM7/4/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/ has it since 2001. Wow, 2001!!

Eric, your old signature still has links to http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/ ...

Eric Rasmussen

Jul 5, 2015, 9:45:21 AM7/5/15
to Chinese Mac
On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Ant <a...@zimage.com> wrote:
It's actually older than that! I think around 1998 or so. I just don't remember the old URL and/or host. Maybe Kerim will recall?

We moved it to Yale in 2001 because it was getting blocked in China.

Eric

Kerim Friedman

Jul 5, 2015, 10:06:01 AM7/5/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
This is the oldest URL I could find, but I think it might have been more of a supplement to the Yale site than a predecessor?

Kerim

Eric Rasmussen

Jul 5, 2015, 11:03:15 AM7/5/15
to Chinese Mac
On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Kerim Friedman <ke...@oxus.net> wrote:
This is the oldest URL I could find, but I think it might have been more of a supplement to the Yale site than a predecessor?

Yes, that was just a place were I put downloads that I wasn't sure Yale would be happy about hosting, like Write Now and some of the other System 6 and System 7 stuff.

The original URL was located at some free (or extremely low-cost) host that you (Kerim) arranged and/or suggested, I remember I used Adobe GoLive, and HTML was completely new to me. I also remember the code GoLIve generated was gibberish, so I had to learn HTML to produce code I could understand. I'm sure I have it on a floppy or a Zip disk here somewhere, but I'd have to drag a computer out of the attic to search for it.

China was blocking every site located at that free/cheap host -- it wasn't specifically aimed at us.

Eric

Ant

Sep 18, 2015, 11:45:56 PM9/18/15
to Chinese Mac