Wubi code conflicts

amykathleen

May 2, 2015, 7:17:06 PM5/2/15
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I posted on the Apple support forums about this problem on April 28, and someone suggested I should ask here as well.  I am a beginner in Chinese, and I'm using Wubi (called Wubi Xing in the OSX settings) as my input method.  But I'm having a problem with the character 牛.  According to both the built-in code lookup in OSX and to the iciba dictionary (which provides Wubi codes), the correct and only code for this character is RHK.  But OSX maps 年 to the combination RHK, and puts it in the #1 position in the character picker, forcing me to type RHK2 in order to type 牛.  According to iciba and the page "Wubizixing for Speakers of English," the codes for 年 should be RH or RHFK, but not RHK.  How do I remove this mapping, or at least get 牛 to show up in the #1 spot in the character picker for RHK?  I don't want to turn on the "Adjust word frequency" option, since, as a beginner, my usage patterns are highly unusual and rapidly changing, and since when I am no longer a beginner I know I will likely use 年 more than 牛 anyway.
If it makes a difference, I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

Thanks in advance.

Magnus Lewan

May 3, 2015, 1:44:19 AM5/3/15
to Chinese Mac
Hi Amy,

Adapt and accept. That was my conclusion when I was a heavy Wubi user ten years ago. It is a marvellous system for fast entry of characters, but sometimes one gets into quirks like the one you found. If one starts to fiddle around too much with the settings, one will run into troubles when using it on other machines. Just pretend that 牛 is written RH3.

Cheers