TC Dictionary in iOS 10

Kerim Friedman

Sep 23, 2016, 1:56:16 AM9/23/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I just made an exciting discovery. Up till now iOS's built-in dictionary look up tool only worked for Simplified Chinese, but after upgrading to iOS 10 I now have a TC dictionary included. There is still no TC-English dictionary to match the existing SC-English dictionary, but it’s a step forward. I've had mixed luck with the dictionary so far. It doesn't seem to have a very big vocabulary... For instance, it doesn't have the word 民族誌 (ethnography).

Has anyone noticed any other new Chinese language features in iOS 10 or macOS Sierra?

Kerim

--

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures

Kerim Friedman

Sep 23, 2016, 2:17:34 AM9/23/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
And the same TC dictionary seems available on the desktop as well.

Jean Soulat (Smarthanzi.net)

Sep 23, 2016, 4:05:29 AM9/23/16
to Chinese Mac
Not exactly your question, but I have started to make iOS, Android and  Mac versions of SmartHanzi (Windows tool).

Preliminary versions are available on Apple stores (iOS and Mac). For English, the base dictionary is CC-CEDICT.

To get an idea of the targets, you may want to look at the Windows versions:
- iOS: see SmartHanzi on Windows Store (Windows 10).
- Mac: see SmartHanzi legacy (Windows 7 or newer) at http://app.smarthanzi.net

The iOS and Mac versions currently just show SC, but they should accept searches with words in TC. If there is a need, I can try to publish quickly an upgrade showing also TC.

Jean

Tom Gewecke

Sep 23, 2016, 8:53:38 AM9/23/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 22, 2016, at 10:55 PM, Kerim Friedman <oxu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone noticed any other new Chinese language features in iOS 10 or macOS Sierra?

Joe Wicentowski

Sep 23, 2016, 9:34:42 AM9/23/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Exciting indeed, Kerim!

The dictionary is one I hadn't heard of before, 五南國語活用辭典, "Wu-nan
Chinese Dictionary, Wu-nan Book Inc., under license to Oxford
University Press." The wikipedia page on the dictionary indicates
it's not a particularly comprehensive dictionary -
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/國語活用辭典. Maybe "ethnography" isn't in
their idea of "活用" ;)

Activating it and performing a search brought up a prompt to download
Kaiti, mentioned in Tom's always-useful list of changes. It's a nice
bold font and includes zhuyin annotations, as in the attached
screenshot.

With Sierra, macOS's Dictionary app is becoming pretty well rounded in
its coverage of CJK. My second screenshot shows the full list, along
with the multilingual preferences for the Wikipedia entry. Between
this, a growing set of dictionaries available in Wenlin [1], and
Pleco's pre-announced/under-consideration Mac app [2], the Mac is in
pretty good shape for CJK work.

Joe

[1] https://www.wenlin.com/products
[2] https://twitter.com/plecosoft/status/773756973493817345
> --
> --
> ---
> "Chinese Mac" group.
> email to chinesemac+...@googlegroups.com.
五南國語活用辭典 - 民族誌.png
macOS Sierra - CJK Dictionaries.png

Joe Wicentowski

Sep 23, 2016, 9:52:01 AM9/23/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I just realized the original post was about iOS, rather than macOS! I
confirmed on iOS the dictionary is the same Wunan dictionary, also
with the zhuyin ruby. I've attached a screenshot for completeness.
iOS 10 - 五南國語活用辭典 - 民族.png