Site status update

TenThousandThings

Feb 7, 2018, 5:14:27 PM2/7/18
to Chinese Mac
FYI, the update of the Fonts page of the Chinese Mac site is more or less done, with just a couple things left to do. I've pushed the OS X coverage to El Capitan, and comments are certainly welcome.

I have not yet taken on the "Language Tools" and "Character Sets" pages, and "Applications" pages is not finished.

I see QIM is still available here:

I wonder if anyone knows of a more authoritative place to get it. I know IMKQIM works up to Mountain Lion, but beyond that I'm not sure. I skipped Mavericks and did not install it on Yosemite. That's about the point where Apple's built-in IMs began to approach it, I think.

I know we are down to just a few people, and that's a good thing, but any advice or help is most welcome, as always!

Eric

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Feb 10, 2018, 6:02:09 AM2/10/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I had a problem with IMKQIM 2.0.3 before Sierra (preference pane crashing), but have been using it ever since, now on 10.13.3. It knows more classical compounds than the Apple input methods, I think.

Glider’s site at <http://115.com/file/dp2z5eol#QIM_Sogou_2_0_3_SL.dmg.zip> is 404. Glider’s home at <http://hi.baidu.com/gliderx/home/> is also gone. He announced a "QIM 3.0 1E160” beta two years ago on Twitter <https://twitter.com/glider_qf/status/688597584273915904?lang=en>, but I cannot find the download at the link he provides.

Jens

Weiyun Yu

Feb 10, 2018, 7:06:58 PM2/10/18
to Chinese-Mac Mail List

Can’t help you there but understand that QIM has quietly retired with all the improvements on macOS of recent years. I understand Glider has also moved on. Suspect the only way to access those files is through someone here’s old archive or by directly contacting Glider. I never picked up 3.0 version, so can’t help here. Good luck!

--

Cheers,

Weiyun

TenThousandThings

Feb 11, 2018, 10:59:52 AM2/11/18
to Chinese Mac
Interesting. The latest copy of the installer that I have is IMKQIM Release 2.3.0 (1D699), which the release notes date to August 2013. Definitely more up-to-date than that Softpedia download, which appears to date to 2012. I also have the QIT installer, but I don't seem to have kept a copy of QDM -- the version in the Softpedia download is 2.4.1.

I think I will try to track him down and say hello when I get closer to firing up the new site. Though that 2016 tweet about QIM 3.0 seems to be his last about anything, and none of his software in the App Store has been updated since then.

Eric

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Feb 13, 2018, 9:42:57 AM2/13/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I would expect the 2.0.3 QDM to work on newer versions as well. Perhaps you could share the 2.3.0 release with us? And the QIT installer? As far as I can see, the 2.0.3.1D381 release is from 2011. - Jens

TenThousandThings

Feb 13, 2018, 2:57:19 PM2/13/18
to Chinese Mac
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 9:42:57 AM UTC-5, Jens Østergaard Petersen wrote:
I would expect the 2.0.3 QDM to work on newer versions as well. Perhaps you could share the 2.3.0 release with us? And the QIT installer? As far as I can see, the 2.0.3.1D381 release is from 2011. - Jens

Yes, absolutely. Here is a link to download a compressed folder (210 MB) with the latest of all three that I have:

Most of that (186 MB) is QIT. It stands for "QIM Intelligent Transformer" but I don't remember much else about it. Even though it dates to 2008, IIRC he had to pay to license it and I'm pretty sure I remember that it still works with IMKQIM 2.3.0.

ER

SPD

Feb 13, 2018, 6:14:44 PM2/13/18
to Chinese Mac
Although Apple's input has improved, I still prefer to use QIM. At some point, however, I noticed a change in scrolling through the palette (maybe after upgrading to Sierra or HS). I can't use the direction arrow keys to skip a line; instead it's necessary to go through each character on the palette before jumping to the next line. Apple's input opens up a larger palette after going through the first line of characters. That's a nice feature. But I can't stand looking at such an ugly font.

Sounds as though QIM is dead now. Too bad. But thanks to Glider for all his hard work.

Weiyun Yu

Feb 13, 2018, 10:02:40 PM2/13/18
to Chinese-Mac Mail List

Yes, I think it’s reasonable to say QIM is history now. Glider has a family and a teenager kid now and the desperate need for an efficient Chinese IM is no longer present. Whilst QIM has worked brilliantly for many of us through its development but I have to say that it was a one person’s hard work and the lack of resources often showed through miscellaneous bugs. It was mission impossible to address all the bugs and keep up with an evolving mac OS. Yes, a big thanks to Glider for all the hard work he put in and he certainly made his mark in the development of Chinese IM on macOS.

--

Cheers,

Weiyun

From: Chinese-Mac Mail List <chine...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of SPD <stevenp...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 10:14
To: Chinese-Mac Mail List <chine...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [chinese mac] Site status update

For answers to frequently-asked questions, visit

Eric Rasmussen

Feb 14, 2018, 11:25:02 AM2/14/18
to Chinese Mac
I did some digging on the WayBack machine:

Note that while this last archive of the macqim.com home page dates to April 2014, many of the back pages have later archives (meaning the were changed after that). Unfortunately, they did not archive the .zip files for the downloads from macqim.com, but I'm pretty confident now that the two I have for IMKQIM and QIT are the last two from 2014 and they were meant to work together. So I think I will write up an explanatory readme for them and put a link to them on the main site. Comments from Jens and everyone else using INKQIM 2.3.0 (1D699) with QIT 1.01 in High Sierra about what works and what doesn't are welcome.

Another tidbit I picked up from the blog archive is that the main change in the 3.0 beta was integration of QIT into QIM -- the download was more than 200MB as a result. Unfortunately the Baidu link for that download is dead.

And yes, all hail Glider, a remarkable individual -- humble, smart, hardworking, generous -- no doubt a great father.

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Feb 15, 2018, 2:50:44 AM2/15/18
to TenThousandThings, chine...@googlegroups.com
Thank you - I will try it out.

For others wishing to download it, insert an “s” after “download” in the link.

Jens

Eric Rasmussen

Feb 15, 2018, 1:33:53 PM2/15/18
to Chinese Mac
Ugh! Sorry about the typo. I've uploaded a more complete version, with a short READ ME and the uninstaller utility from 2011 added. Now linked from the main site:

http://chinesemac.org/pages/input_methods.html#QIM

Again, comments welcome, especially re: the READ ME.

Eric

On 13 February 2018 at 20.57.21, TenThousandThings (hello....@gmail.com) wrote:

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 9:42:57 AM UTC-5, Jens Østergaard Petersen wrote:
I would expect the 2.0.3 QDM to work on newer versions as well. Perhaps you could share the 2.3.0 release with us? And the QIT installer? As far as I can see, the 2.0.3.1D381 release is from 2011. - Jens

Yes, absolutely. Here is a link to download a compressed folder (210 MB) with the latest of all three that I have:

Most of that (186 MB) is QIT. It stands for "QIM Intelligent Transformer" but I don't remember much else about it. Even though it dates to 2008, IIRC he had to pay to license it and I'm pretty sure I remember that it still works with IMKQIM 2.3.0.

ER

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Feb 16, 2018, 3:52:05 AM2/16/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Thanks (again), Eric.

Minor things: my QIM Uninstaller is version 1.1, modified 4 May 2012.

I will have to wait until next week before I try out the (to me) new installer.

Jens
To unsubscribe, send a message to chinesemac-...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chinese Mac" group.

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Mar 1, 2018, 3:23:16 AM3/1/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I have been running IMKQIM 2.3.0 for a week or so in High Sierra encountering no problems. I have not really tested the parsing algorithm, since I mainly input single characters. - I guess I use this IM out of old habit – perhaps I should switch to Apple’s own IMs.

On the web page, "搜索" (a movie by 陈凯歌) should be "搜狗输入法”, I think.

From the release notes, it would appear that development on IMKQIM 2.3.0 (1D699) stopped 2012-08-13, but it was released only one year later. Copyright is only claimed for the period 2006-2011.

The Help page, which we can now se at <http://web.archive.org/web/20160130063550/http://162.243.196.58/wordpress/?page_id=15> doesn't give much information.

Jens

TenThousandThings