Google Pinyin

Kerim Friedman

Apr 4, 2007, 5:11:18 AM4/4/07
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Did you know Google (which just released Google Desktop for the Mac)
is in the pinyin input method business?

http://tools.google.com/pinyin/index.html

Windows only right now, and judging from this review it seems that QIM
doesn't have a thing to worry about:

http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/04/04/china-google-pinyin-type-input/

kerim

Weiyun Yu

Apr 4, 2007, 5:21:35 AM4/4/07
to Chinese-Mac Mail List
Not sure. Based on what I've read on Chinese forums, it's supposed to be
pretty good. I tried to install it on my copy of Windows XP but somehow it
screwed up my tool bar. So I removed it again quickly... --WY

Steven Paul Day

Apr 4, 2007, 11:35:32 AM4/4/07
to Chinese Mac
I just did an install on my MacBook (Parallels and XP). Thus far, it
works fine. I like the interface and palette much better than the MS
IME. Haven't really tested it yet, however, since I doubt that it will
be getting much use.

Weizhong Yang

Apr 4, 2007, 3:59:21 PM4/4/07
to chine...@googlegroups.com, Weizhong Yang
Well, I just downloaded it and had a try. Since I am a Zhuyin user (and a participant of an open-source input method project), a new Pinyin input method is not attractive to me, I just want to know about what Google wants to do about Chinese input methods.

However, when I tried to type my name with Google pinyin, it gave a terrible result like this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zonble/446308840/. I never know about that the best candidate of typing "Yang Wei Zhong" in their database is it.

在 2007/4/4 下午 5:11 時,Kerim Friedman 寫到:

--
"No, I won't fix your computer."
Weizhong Yang

Weiyun Yu

Apr 4, 2007, 10:51:35 PM4/4/07
to Chinese-Mac Mail List
Good one! I think you'll have to talk to your parents about that one.

Joe Wicentowski

Apr 9, 2007, 1:04:52 PM4/9/07
to chine...@googlegroups.com
There's been some controversy surrounding Google Pinyin -- apparently
Google lifted the dictionary database from Sohu:

Google apologizes for using part of rival's software
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/09/google/>

"Google on Monday issued a brief apology for using part of a software
application developed by rival Sohu.com in a recently released
Chinese software tool of its own."

Kerim Friedman

May 20, 2009, 5:40:29 AM5/20/09
to chine...@googlegroups.com
马玉玺 sent me a link to this thread where people are requesting a Mac
OS X version of the Google Pinyin input method.

kerim