Chinese character counts in Word for Mac

francesen

Oct 10, 2016, 11:27:31 PM10/10/16
to Chinese Mac
Hi all,

Since I've updated to Sierra, my Chinese template has gone from Word, which is what I believe was enabling me to get Chinese character counts in all documents. Now there are seemingly no Chinese language options at all. Has anyone else had this problem, or know of any solutions? The only solution there seems to be is to change my OS language to Chinese (note, I haven't tried this yet, either) which I don't particularly want to do long term...

There is also no character conversion on Word for Mac (or Excel, PPT etc) for the latest Office on Mac. Pretty shoddy.

If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Tom Gewecke

Oct 11, 2016, 11:05:22 AM10/11/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 10, 2016, at 8:27 PM, francesen <fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since I've updated to Sierra, my Chinese template has gone from Word, which is what I believe was enabling me to get Chinese character counts in all documents. Now there are seemingly no Chinese language options at all.

In Word 2016, you turn on the Chinese options via Preferences > Authoring and Proofing Tools > East Asian Languages. But there are no proofing tools for Chinese (not in Word 2011 either as far as I know).

If I remember right, Word’s access to Apple’s Simplified/Traditional conversion service has been broken for quite a long time now.

Fran Nichol

Oct 11, 2016, 11:13:12 AM10/11/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
There are no options for East Asian Languages any more! See screenshot.

Anyone else had this problem? This happened when I updated Word 2016 and Sierra at the same time... A warning to others, I guess!

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 11.10.37.png

Tom Gewecke

Oct 11, 2016, 12:30:53 PM10/11/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Fran Nichol <fran...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are no options for East Asian Languages any more! See screenshot.

Of course it should be there.  There were discussions in the MS forums earlier this year about people for whom it was missing, I will see if I can find them and see if there was a fix…

In the meantime I think LibreOffice can do pretty much the same things as Word regarding Chinese

Tom Gewecke

Oct 11, 2016, 1:53:37 PM10/11/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Fran Nichol <fran...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are no options for East Asian Languages any more! See screenshot.

Is you machine set to US English?  If not, try that.

Also try setting up a new user account and see if it shows up when you are logged into that.

Magnus Lewan

Oct 11, 2016, 1:58:09 PM10/11/16
to Chinese Mac
Yes, US English is the way to go. None of that international or UK or Canadian or Australian English. US only. We discussed it in the MS forum some time ago: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac/how-to-show-furigana/4676699a-9e0f-4449-966b-6b41e19ae55a

Cheers

Fran Nichol

Oct 11, 2016, 2:10:48 PM10/11/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thank you Tom and Magnus so much for your help, and so quickly! I've changed my system to US English which has enabled Chinese character counts again. I guess I'll stick with US English on my machine for now.

I also posted on the MS forums, which wasn't nearly as helpful, but I will update them there and (probably) also lodge a complaint with MS.

Thanks
Frances

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chinese Mac" group.

Tom Gewecke

Oct 30, 2016, 1:23:46 PM10/30/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
As part of the release of the new Macbook Pro models, a new “chinese-pinyin” keyboard has been spotted that may be of interest to members of this group. See

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2016/10/macos-possible-new-keyboard-for-china.html

Kerim Friedman

Oct 30, 2016, 7:58:52 PM10/30/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious to see how the new Touch Bar works with Chinese input...

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Tom Gewecke <thge...@gmail.com> wrote:
As part of the release of the new Macbook Pro models, a new “chinese-pinyin” keyboard has been spotted that may be of interest to members of this group.  See

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2016/10/macos-possible-new-keyboard-for-china.html

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系

Tom Gewecke

Oct 30, 2016, 11:13:40 PM10/30/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com

On Oct 30, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Kerim Friedman <oxu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm curious to see how the new Touch Bar works with Chinese input…

I suspect it will be used to provide a row of Quick Type suggestions like one gets in iOS.