Help! File Name Encoding Repair redux

TenThousandThings

Feb 21, 2018, 3:38:14 PM2/21/18
to Chinese Mac
As you all know I've been tinkering away in my spare time, learning about what has changed since I was last focused on these things. Without going into detail, I'll just say I've been making adjustments to the character sets page (I've been uploading the progress -- it's mostly up-to-date now).

Anyhow, a search for 中文標準交換碼 led me to this site:

Which led me to this site:

The ZIP download there is a folder loaded with good stuff, including massive fonts, glyph images, and assorted data for CNS 11643. I don't have much to say about it, but there is a minor problem that I didn't know still existed. All the file and folder names (the ones in Chinese) inside the Open_Data folder are garbled. The contents of the files are fine. It's just the file names in macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra.

I have Windows 10 running in a virtual machine, and I can read the file names in there. So it's a macOS problem. Does anyone have experience with this?

Eric

Weiyun Yu

Feb 21, 2018, 4:52:59 PM2/21/18
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

I can confirm similar in Chinese files I come across every so often. Unfortunately I can’t remember the exact circumstance. Will keep an eye out for them in future but yes, macOS is not perfect yet.

--
Cheers,
Weiyun

Jens Østergaard Petersen

Feb 22, 2018, 3:15:11 AM2/22/18
to Weiyun Yu, chine...@googlegroups.com
If you use the default Archive Utility app, the file and folder names will be mangled, but if you use Unarchiver, RAR Extractor Lite or BetterZip (and probably a lot of other utilities), they show up nicely.

Jens

TenThousandThings

Feb 22, 2018, 2:12:48 PM2/22/18
to Chinese Mac