Problem getting phonetic guide on Word 2016

Muchun Yin

Sep 22, 2016, 7:59:51 AM9/22/16
to Chinese Mac
Hello. I recently got Word for Mac 2016 installed and when I go to use the phonetic guide/ruby text, it shows me the Chinese characters but the pinyin side is blank. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Tom Gewecke

Sep 22, 2016, 11:05:43 AM9/22/16
to chine...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 8:18 PM, Muchun Yin <yin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello. I recently got Word for Mac 2016 installed and when I go to use the phonetic guide/ruby text, it shows me the Chinese characters but the pinyin side is blank. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

I have only ever been able to get ruby to work automatically for Japanese.

Magnus Lewan

Sep 22, 2016, 1:40:02 PM9/22/16
to Chinese Mac
Isn't this one of the differences between the Mac and PC versions of MS Word? I seem to remember that I managed to get not only Katakana, Hiragana and Pinyin but also Bopomofo in the Windows version, but not in the Mac version.

Cheers

Magnus Lewan

Sep 23, 2016, 2:36:22 AM9/23/16
to Chinese Mac
Now, I cannot make it work on Windows either. It should work, but it is apparently not trivial:

Xianxian Cascella

Oct 10, 2016, 12:32:13 PM10/10/16
to Chinese Mac
Just wonder anyone has solved this problem??
My Word for Mac 2016 phonetic guide only works for Japanese. I really need it work for simplified Chinese.
I have googled for hours but haven't found any solution yet.

Muchun Yin

Oct 10, 2016, 12:32:13 PM10/10/16
to Chinese Mac
Thank you all for your help anyways!

Danny Smith

Oct 26, 2016, 9:48:42 AM10/26/16
to Chinese Mac
Same problem here...

katerina chertoritskaya

Oct 26, 2016, 9:48:42 AM10/26/16
to Chinese Mac
Unfortunately I can't find a workaround for this problem either , I am running mac 2015 on macOS sierra and have Microsoft Word 2015. I tried changing the system language to Chinese, but nothing works. I added Simplified Chinese to East Asian languages panel in Word, restarted Word, but ruby characters with pinyin still didn't appear when i tried to use the phonetic guide.

Ryan Middleton

Nov 8, 2016, 9:39:43 PM11/8/16
to Chinese Mac
Ugh, same problem here and I can't find any solution from Googling. Phonetic guide option appears, but is text is empty. It used to work in the old version of Word for Mac. I don't see the "East Asian Languages" option in settings.

I use this font as an imperfect alternative: http://fonts.mobanwang.com/201009/8689.html

tomg

Jan 24, 2017, 10:56:27 AM1/24/17
to Chinese Mac
I had not tested this for a while, but my current version, 15.30 (170107), has Chinese Phonetic Guides working.  I don't know when MS finally fixed this...

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.52.42 AM.png

katerina chertoritskaya

Jan 24, 2017, 3:09:30 PM1/24/17
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thank you for your letter ,
I have an older version of word, I don't have it in mine yet, I've gotta upgrade to a newer and check , now I only get this ..

I had not tested this for a while, but my current version, 15.30 (170107), has Chinese Phonetic Guides working.  I don't know when MS finally fixed this...

With best regards.
Katerina Chertoritskaya

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 11.06.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.54.49 PM.png