Blue Bin Recycling

Mark Anderson

Jun 21, 2015, 1:39:49 PM6/21/15
I found this Washington Post article rather interesting. The article is
"premium" content on Trib's site even though they didn't write it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/american-recycling-is-
stalling-and-the-big-blue-bin-is-one-reason-why/2015/06/20/914735e4-
1610-11e5-9ddc-e3353542100c_story.html

I'm about to put a sign up on my place with proper instructions as to
how to recycle after receiving an orange sticker of shame from some do-
gooders throwing trash in my recycling bins because they are just too
lazy in the mind to learn what is and what isn't recycling. Like stop
signs where everyone chooses which ones are worthy of stopping for,
people think they can form their own opinions as to what is recyclable.

Hangers can be reused, thus they must be recyclable. Bzzzt. Kitchen
waste is good for compost, good for the environment, recycling is good
for the environment, therefore kitchen waste is recyclable. Ditto for
clothes, wood, stryofoam, aluminum foil, and on and on and on. The
amount of crap I'm pulling from the blue bins makes me wonder what is
going into blue bins behind buildings where no one gives a shit --
perhaps 90% of buildings around here.

Someone needs to downsize recyclables and get big simple campaign like
posters we can set next to the bins. Break down your cardboard. No
more glass. Aluminum cans and plastic with the numbers, paper, and
that's it. Keep It Simple Stupid.

The green trucks picking up these recyclable probably don't give a shit
either. They get paid and without this program the city blue trucks
would be picking up everything like in the old days. Perhaps they
should.

end of rant ....
Message has been deleted

Gregory Morrow

Jun 21, 2015, 10:20:38 PM6/21/15
barbie gee wrote:
> oh, be my guest and rant away.
>
> My rant regards those feckless hipsters

LUV that word "feckless" ...

in the 6 flat next door, who,
> instead of petitioning their landlord for a recycling program in their
> building (as city mandated but not enforced), they were filling up my blue
> bin, the neighbors across the alley, and up and down the alley as well.
> We left notes, asking them to please stop, but they are lazy, so a whole
> bunch of us neighbors now have our blue bins tucked away behind our gate,
> or in our garage. Someone must have called the city (maybe one of those
> lazy kids?) and they now have two city bins next to their always
> overflowing Groot dumpster. Total misuse of the program, but at least
> their not filling up our Blue Bins leaving us compliant property owners
> and small building tenants with nowhere to put our own recyclables.
>
> The whole system is crap.

Yup...

--
Best
Greg

Mark Anderson

Jun 21, 2015, 11:26:42 PM6/21/15
In article boo...@nosespam.com says...
> Someone must have called the city (maybe one of those
> lazy kids?) and they now have two city bins next to their always
> overflowing Groot dumpster. Total misuse of the program, but at least
> their not filling up our Blue Bins leaving us compliant property owners
> and small building tenants with nowhere to put our own recyclables.

I don't mind people using my bins since we have more bins than any of us
can use in a two week period. During the end of winter I got lax in
checking them and one got stuffed with garbage and they stuck that
orange sticker on it making me look like the idiot. Ever since I've
been pulling out bag after bag of trash and putting them in the black
bins and we have plenty of them too. I maybe generate one bag of
garbage every other week.

The article covered what I'm experiencing -- that people don't know how
to use the bins and it's turning the recycling program into an expensive
garbage hauling service. What's the point of paying for two garbage
hauling services? We don't need laws mandating people to recycle
because you can't mandate idiots to not be idiots.

My sign states one rule for recycling: When in doubt throw it out.
It's OK to throw recyclables into the trash, it's not OK to throw trash
into the recyclables. I haven't put it up yet because it sounded a bit
passive aggressive. Just walking the alleys around me with my dogs I
see a lot of other bins totally contaminated with trash so this has to
be a big problem throughout Chicago -- especially in neighborhoods that
house the truly stupid and ignorant.

I wonder why that purported newspaper occupying that historic building
on Michigan Avenue hasn't pursued this story? Or is it easier to
download an RLC data set, hit sort in Excel, and call that your
investigative report for the year.

I'd like to see a simpler program with less options and stick with the
basics of plastics, aluminum cans, and paper. The rules on the bins are
kind of confusing and they don't even cover the only number plastic
between 1 and 6 that isn't recyclable. I bet everyone here would have
to look it up. I did.

If I were to bet, I'd bet this entire program is completely fucked up
city wide and costs so much money for nothing in return and that, like
every other taxpayer funded program, no one gives a shit when you're on
the receiving end of the government tit.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 22, 2015, 12:56:11 PM6/22/15
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 2015, Mark Anderson wrote:
>
> oh, be my guest and rant away.
>
> My rant regards those feckless hipsters in the 6 flat next door, who,
> instead of petitioning their landlord for a recycling program in their
> building (as city mandated but not enforced), they were filling up my blue
> bin, the neighbors across the alley, and up and down the alley as well.
> We left notes, asking them to please stop, but they are lazy, so a whole
> bunch of us neighbors now have our blue bins tucked away behind our gate,
> or in our garage. Someone must have called the city (maybe one of those
> lazy kids?) and they now have two city bins next to their always
> overflowing Groot dumpster. Total misuse of the program, but at least
> their not filling up our Blue Bins leaving us compliant property owners
> and small building tenants with nowhere to put our own recyclables.
>
> The whole system is crap.

So you're angry people used the recycle bins provided by the city, then
somebody ordered more and you're happy?

What's the problem here?

Cydrome Leader

Jun 22, 2015, 12:57:30 PM6/22/15
Go ahead and list for all of use what can or cant' be recycled.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2015, 1:34:44 PM6/22/15
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:26:42 PM UTC-7, Mark Anderson wrote:
> In article boo...@nosespam.com says...
> > Someone must have called the city (maybe one of those
> > lazy kids?) and they now have two city bins next to their always
> > overflowing Groot dumpster. Total misuse of the program, but at least
> > their not filling up our Blue Bins leaving us compliant property owners
> > and small building tenants with nowhere to put our own recyclables.
>
> I don't mind people using my bins since we have more bins than any of us
> can use in a two week period. During the end of winter I got lax in
> checking them and one got stuffed with garbage and they stuck that
> orange sticker on it making me look like the idiot. Ever since I've
> been pulling out bag after bag of trash and putting them in the black
> bins and we have plenty of them too. I maybe generate one bag of
> garbage every other week.

I have seen some padlocks with bigass "U"s. Drill a hole near the front
thru the lid and the side thingy, slip the padlock thru and voila!
If they can pry up the other corner,repeat there.

One side of U
_|____ Lid ________
/_|_
/ | \ Side Thingy

| Inside of Cart

ASCII Dwg

> My sign states one rule for recycling: When in doubt throw it out.
> It's OK to throw recyclables into the trash, it's not OK to throw trash
> into the recyclables. I haven't put it up yet because it sounded a bit
> passive aggressive. Just walking the alleys around me with my dogs I
> see a lot of other bins totally contaminated with trash so this has to
> be a big problem throughout Chicago -- especially in neighborhoods that
> house the truly stupid and ignorant.

The city could supply posters show what can be recycled and what not.
Maybe even put them inside the lids of the carts.

> I'd like to see a simpler program with less options and stick with the
> basics of plastics, aluminum cans, and paper. The rules on the bins are
> kind of confusing and they don't even cover the only number plastic
> between 1 and 6 that isn't recyclable. I bet everyone here would have
> to look it up. I did.

Let the sorters sort it out. Glass is the most recyclable material,
so what happened to glass?

> If I were to bet, I'd bet this entire program is completely fucked up
> city wide and costs so much money for nothing in return and that, like
> every other taxpayer funded program, no one gives a shit when you're on
> the receiving end of the government tit.

Better recycling than creating more Mount Trashmores.

Mark Anderson

Jun 22, 2015, 2:14:16 PM6/22/15
In article spamtr...@gmail.com says...
> Let the sorters sort it out. Glass is the most recyclable material,
> so what happened to glass?

Did you read the article? They say glass gets broken and they have to
truck it away and bury it from all the gas it emits. I have always
wondered how they recycle broken glass because sometimes beer bottles
get broken while in the blue bins let alone all the commotion it must
receive afterwards.

> > If I were to bet, I'd bet this entire program is completely fucked
up
> > city wide and costs so much money for nothing in return and that, like
> > every other taxpayer funded program, no one gives a shit when you're on
> > the receiving end of the government tit.
>
> Better recycling than creating more Mount Trashmores.

Recycling is like the Victory Gardens during WWII. It makes you feel
good about participating in the environment without much effort or even
bothering to take a few minutes learning what is or isn't recyclable.
It's one of the biggest form of slacktivism around.

Reducing waste in consumer packaging reduces Mount Trashmore. Why do
people need to buy cases of 12oz. plastic bottles of water? Why are we
selling pop and beer in 12 pack cans when larger containers would
suffice for most use cases? Our generation lives in a culture of
consume and dispose. Fifty years ago people would recycle by reusing
things like coffee cans to store stuff -- not by merely chucking them in
a bin for someone else to deal with.

Ts of Og

Jun 22, 2015, 2:18:07 PM6/22/15
On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 12:34:44 PM UTC-5, spamtr...@gmail.com wrote:
> f the government tit.
>
> Better recycling than creating more Mount Trashmores.

The dear GOP county of DuPage built a monster trash heap in the Forest Preserve, Greene Valley. This is actually a valley containing Lisle and surroundings. With the monster rains the trash mountain causes even more flooding as the Dupage River can't take all the rain. Brilliant.

Michele

Jun 22, 2015, 3:57:35 PM6/22/15
On 6/22/2015 1:14 PM, Mark Anderson wrote:
> In article spamtr...@gmail.com says...
>> Let the sorters sort it out. Glass is the most recyclable material,
>> so what happened to glass?
>
> Did you read the article? They say glass gets broken and they have to
> truck it away and bury it from all the gas it emits. I have always
> wondered how they recycle broken glass because sometimes beer bottles
> get broken while in the blue bins let alone all the commotion it must
> receive afterwards.

That's fluorescent light bulbs that release gas when broken. Otherwise,
a regular broken beer bottle is inert.

Glass is recycled by shattering the bottles into something known as
cullet. It's sorted by color, then thrown into a furnace for melting.

Brent

Jun 22, 2015, 5:20:21 PM6/22/15
On 2015-06-22, spamtr...@gmail.com <spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have seen some padlocks with bigass "U"s. Drill a hole near the front
> thru the lid and the side thingy, slip the padlock thru and voila!
> If they can pry up the other corner,repeat there.

I've seen wheelie bins* with a place for a padlock. Now I know why.

*https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wheelie_bin I like the term so I use
it.

Geoff Gass

Jun 22, 2015, 5:50:02 PM6/22/15
Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
> In article spamtr...@gmail.com says...
>> Let the sorters sort it out. Glass is the most recyclable material,
>> so what happened to glass?
>
> Did you read the article? They say glass gets broken and they have to
> truck it away and bury it from all the gas it emits. I have always
> wondered how they recycle broken glass because sometimes beer bottles
> get broken while in the blue bins let alone all the commotion it must
> receive afterwards.

they recycle glass the same way they do metal, they melt it down. I mean
sersiously? you can't figure out how they recycle broken glass? Along with
aluminum, it's very desirable because it takes less energy to melt down
existing glass than it does to make new glass by melting silica/soda (in the
case of aluminum, *way* less energy to melt it down instead of crack new
aluminum out of bauxite)

as michele already pointed out, there is no gas emitted when glass is
broken, that's specifically fluorescent bulbs (which usually contain
mercury), not glass in general. a beer bottle does not emit gas and is
rather easily recycled, broken or not

Brent

Jun 22, 2015, 5:57:07 PM6/22/15
On 2015-06-22, Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
> truck it away and bury it from all the gas it emits.

No, one of the uses for gound up glass is in landfills to keep down the
smell of the other stuff in the landfill.

"Today, more than a third of all glass sent to recycling facilities ends
up crushed. It is trucked to landfills as daily cover to bury the smell
and trap gases."

> Reducing waste in consumer packaging reduces Mount Trashmore. Why do
> people need to buy cases of 12oz. plastic bottles of water? Why are we
> selling pop and beer in 12 pack cans when larger containers would
> suffice for most use cases? Our generation lives in a culture of
> consume and dispose. Fifty years ago people would recycle by reusing
> things like coffee cans to store stuff -- not by merely chucking them in
> a bin for someone else to deal with.

Because packaging is cheap enough that its cost is justified by the
convenience. Even where garbage disposal is a private business paid for
directly that is often the case. Where it isn't well, socializing costs
has interesting problems.

As to the larger question we live in a society that overvalues the short
term. Much of this is deliberate and comes from how the society is
managed politically and economically.

Anyway recycling of ordinary trash just isn't viable and often costs
more in resources like energy that it is worth. When it's worth the
effort people will know where to find it. What is viable to recycle has
no shortage of people willing to take it away or even buy it.

Mark Anderson

Jun 22, 2015, 6:00:24 PM6/22/15
In article g...@tanzenmb.com says...
> they recycle glass the same way they do metal, they melt it down. I mean
> sersiously? you can't figure out how they recycle broken glass?

Seriously Gasbag? Can't you read the fucking article (RTFA)?

"From the start, it was hard to argue that glass should have been
allowed in the curbside mix. It?s the heaviest of recyclables but has
always been of marginal value as a commodity. In the rough-and-tumble
sorting facilities, a large share of it breaks and contaminates valuable
bales of paper, plastic and other materials.

Today, more than a third of all glass sent to recycling facilities ends
up crushed. It is trucked to landfills as daily cover to bury the smell
and trap gases. The rest has almost no value to recyclers and can often
cost them to haul away."

> as michele already pointed out, there is no gas emitted when glass is
> broken, that's specifically fluorescent bulbs (which usually contain
> mercury), not glass in general. a beer bottle does not emit gas and is
> rather easily recycled, broken or not

You two need to take it up with the Washington Post. They mentioned
nothing about fluorescent bulbs and the gas is probably some kind of
methane from decomposition but I'm not going to travel down the idiot
assumption road that you usually take pretending that you know
something.

Max

Jun 22, 2015, 7:10:02 PM6/22/15
If the thesis "some people can fuck up anything they touch" I answer in
agreememt.

But based on my highly scientific sample of the 'hood around Fireside
Bowl, the overwhelming majority of folks do a reasonably good job of
sticking to the guidelines.

As far as metals go, the bins will never see much more than kitchen
cans, since the scrappers pounce on macro quantities of metal in an
average time of 20 minutes.

I'm reasonably impressed, actually.

Michele

Jun 23, 2015, 2:57:22 PM6/23/15
Uhm, science much? Glass is inert even though it is a slowly moving
liquid. That's why 100-year-old window panes get wavy. But it doesn't
release any gas because IT DOESN'T DECOMPOSE.

Mark Anderson

Jun 23, 2015, 3:15:46 PM6/23/15
In article eatshi...@spammers.com says...
> Uhm, science much? Glass is inert even though it is a slowly moving
> liquid. That's why 100-year-old window panes get wavy. But it doesn't
> release any gas because IT DOESN'T DECOMPOSE.

The beer and other residue on the glass is what I referred to. Ever
take a whiff of a dumpster full of empty beer bottles? That's the gas
I'm talking about.

Brent

Jun 23, 2015, 5:36:02 PM6/23/15
It's not a slow moving liquid, the 100 year old glass was manufactured
differently and that is the reason it is as it is. It was like that the
day it was made. Looking for a reference I found you can have brand new
antique glass made to your specification:

http://www.restorationglass.com/antique-window-glass.cfm

Michele

Jun 23, 2015, 8:06:31 PM6/23/15
I used to work in a stained glass store. It's very easy to get glass to
look old with simple processes.

Second comment in this post by PharmJack explains it best.
http://io9.com/the-glass-is-a-liquid-myth-has-finally-been-destroyed-496190894

Michele

Jun 23, 2015, 8:06:47 PM6/23/15
So why didn't you say so in the first place?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Geoff Gass

Jun 23, 2015, 11:20:01 PM6/23/15
yeah, because that shit won't be gone at a temp way the fuck lower than glass
melts

Mark Anderson

Jun 24, 2015, 12:07:17 AM6/24/15
In article boo...@nosespam.com says...
> > I'd like to see a simpler program with less options and stick with the
> > basics of plastics, aluminum cans, and paper. The rules on the bins are
> > kind of confusing and they don't even cover the only number plastic
> > between 1 and 6 that isn't recyclable. I bet everyone here would have
> > to look it up. I did.
>
> without looking it up, going from what I think is correct memory, it is
> "6" that is NOT recyclable.

6 is correct. I forget it again and had to lookup it up.

Bonus Question: What percentage of your neighbors would

1) know what a plastic code looks like and
2) know that #6 in not recyclable.

My estimation 1 in 20 on #1 and 1 in 50 on #2. I bet most people
working in the recycling program do not understand all these rules.

Mark Anderson

Jun 24, 2015, 12:13:05 AM6/24/15
In article g...@tanzenmb.com says...
> > The beer and other residue on the glass is what I referred to. Ever
> > take a whiff of a dumpster full of empty beer bottles? That's the gas
> > I'm talking about.
>
> yeah, because that shit won't be gone at a temp way the fuck lower than glass
> melts

They send this glass to landfills so it never gets to the temperature
you assume it does.

smr

Jun 24, 2015, 9:50:01 AM6/24/15
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:23:48 -0500, barbie gee wrote:
> Bottled water is THE number one most wasteful stupid idea we ever got
> sucked into.

Who's this "we", kemosabe? It's trivial to not buy the shit. We have the
best tap water in the goddamned universe in this city, bottled water makes
no fuckin' sense at all.

--
smr

Ts of Og

Jun 24, 2015, 11:03:06 AM6/24/15
Mmmm, lead pipes and crappy leaky city pipes. I now avoid all drinking fountains at Parks.

Mark Anderson

Jun 24, 2015, 11:49:07 AM6/24/15
In article jgro...@hotmail.com says...
> Mmmm, lead pipes and crappy leaky city pipes. I now avoid all
> drinking fountains at Parks.

Lead is only bad when you're young with a future. As you age slowing
brain activity delays the inevitable slide into dementia, alsheimers,
and/or schizophrenia.

smr

Jun 24, 2015, 12:10:01 PM6/24/15
You're the biggest pussy I've ever "met", dude. Fuck's sake.

--
smr

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 24, 2015, 1:18:28 PM6/24/15
I buy bottled water for the bottles. I refill them several times with tap
water, tossing 'em when I get mold under the cap. I don't always care for
the design of re-usable plastic bottles.

Ideally I'd carry a glass bottle because glass can be cleaned and plastic
can leach chemicals, but you need a really good cap for them.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 24, 2015, 1:47:53 PM6/24/15
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Cydrome Leader wrote:
>
>> Mark Anderson <m...@nospambradnylion.com> wrote:
>>> In article boo...@nosespam.com says...
>>>
>>> I don't mind people using my bins since we have more bins than any of us
>>> can use in a two week period. During the end of winter I got lax in
>>> checking them and one got stuffed with garbage and they stuck that
>>> orange sticker on it making me look like the idiot. Ever since I've
>>> been pulling out bag after bag of trash and putting them in the black
>>> bins and we have plenty of them too. I maybe generate one bag of
>>> garbage every other week.
>>>
>>> The article covered what I'm experiencing -- that people don't know how
>>> to use the bins and it's turning the recycling program into an expensive
>>> garbage hauling service. What's the point of paying for two garbage
>>> hauling services? We don't need laws mandating people to recycle
>>> because you can't mandate idiots to not be idiots.
>>>
>>> My sign states one rule for recycling: When in doubt throw it out.
>>> It's OK to throw recyclables into the trash, it's not OK to throw trash
>>> into the recyclables. I haven't put it up yet because it sounded a bit
>>> passive aggressive. Just walking the alleys around me with my dogs I
>>> see a lot of other bins totally contaminated with trash so this has to
>>> be a big problem throughout Chicago -- especially in neighborhoods that
>>> house the truly stupid and ignorant.
>>>
>>> I wonder why that purported newspaper occupying that historic building
>>> on Michigan Avenue hasn't pursued this story? Or is it easier to
>>> download an RLC data set, hit sort in Excel, and call that your
>>> investigative report for the year.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see a simpler program with less options and stick with the
>>> basics of plastics, aluminum cans, and paper. The rules on the bins are
>>> kind of confusing and they don't even cover the only number plastic
>>> between 1 and 6 that isn't recyclable. I bet everyone here would have
>>> to look it up. I did.
>>>
>>> If I were to bet, I'd bet this entire program is completely fucked up
>>> city wide and costs so much money for nothing in return and that, like
>>> every other taxpayer funded program, no one gives a shit when you're on
>>> the receiving end of the government tit.
>>>

>> Go ahead and list for all of use what can or cant' be recycled.
>
> it's all on the city recycling website, but no one uses the internet when
> it comes to the city's website, because their website is often
> inscrutable.
>
> <http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/supp_info/recycling1/blue_cart_residentialrecyclingacceptedmaterials.html>
>
> totally stupid, and it took me like 5 minutes to find, but there ya go,
> the City that Worsk.

glad I don't have to deal with that nonense.

I throw all my scrap metal in the alley, it'd gone on minutes.

paper and cardboard go in the commerical waste hauler recycle dumpter,
same for glass such as bottles, broken windows and other jars.

anything else solid goes in the dumpster. Paint, solvents and chemicals go
into storm trains with the fish logos on the drain covers.

smr

Jun 24, 2015, 2:00:02 PM6/24/15
I've got a Contigo stainless steel with a silicon nib that goes with me
everywhere. Even in like 90+ degree weather, it'll keep water cold for 12
hours. I love the thing.

--
smr

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 24, 2015, 2:05:59 PM6/24/15
Where do you dump your heavy metals?

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 24, 2015, 2:08:35 PM6/24/15
That brand looks like they make some useful stuff. Thank you.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 24, 2015, 6:40:20 PM6/24/15
I sell that to the chinese as fake MSG.

Max

Jun 24, 2015, 7:40:02 PM6/24/15
Brabs is Sofa King tired of me telling her how awesome Chicago's water
is! Every time we're out at the restaurant.

Geoff Gass

Jun 24, 2015, 9:20:01 PM6/24/15
and alcohol fumes are dangerous to the landfill?

Geoff Gass

Jun 24, 2015, 9:20:01 PM6/24/15
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
I know a guy who makes caps, but his truck is busted

Mark Anderson

Jun 24, 2015, 10:05:52 PM6/24/15
I just recited part of the article and rereading it they could be using
glass to trap other landfill gases. The bottom line is recycled glass
ends up in landfills because it's not economical to melt down and it
clogs up the works.

Although I have a lot of experience with alcohol residue in beer
bottles, I'm not a chemist nor do I pretend to play one here. I do know
from an engineer at the water reclamation department that it would be
impossible for that guy in Shawshank Redemption to climb through that
sewer before succumbing to sewer gas. A single fart may not kill you
but the combined farts from thousands of humans in a confined space
will. Chemistry is a fascinating subject.

smr

Jun 25, 2015, 11:00:02 AM6/25/15
It really is. The only times I do buy bottled water is when I'm not in
Chicago. Hotel taps are never cold enough, and most other water tastes
weird.

--
smr
Message has been deleted

Michele

Jun 25, 2015, 8:25:45 PM6/25/15
On 6/25/2015 7:05 PM, barbie gee wrote:
> by "we" I mean all the USA honorary members of STUPIDEMIC, Inc.
>
> I don't buy bottled water, ever. If I'm offered a bottle of water, I
> will often refuse it, even. If there's a choice of bottled water or
> getting some from the tap, I will get from the tap. The only way I
> would ever have any in the household was if I was stocking my Mormon
> Pantry for the great catastrophe if I thought one was coming.
>
> But anyone who's lazy or clueless thinks bottle water is "great!", and
> they are the "we" I was referring to.

At the risk of sounding like a heathen here. I bought a small pack of
bottled water for drinking after swimming at Portage Pool. Why?

Because I don't feel like drinking at a water fountain with bird shit in it.

smr

Jun 25, 2015, 9:10:02 PM6/25/15
Or you could just carry a reusable bottle around and fill it from
wherever. S'what I do.

--
smr

Max

Jun 25, 2015, 9:40:01 PM6/25/15
I stay away from fountains after I spent a summer a couple of years ago
suffering from sore throats after every long bike ride where I'd
hydrate at fountains along the bike path. ick.

Geoff Gass

Jun 25, 2015, 11:30:02 PM6/25/15
ditto that. I don't buy it because I think there's anything wrong with
Chicago tap, it's purely a matter of laziness/convenience to have some around
to grab when running to the park or the beach or whatever.

> Or you could just carry a reusable bottle around and fill it from
> wherever. S'what I do.

that's really what I should do too.

Michele

Jun 26, 2015, 2:05:24 AM6/26/15
Trust me. That's way too hard for me to do. I'll buy a reusable bottle,
fill it once, then forget to take it where I intended to use it/forget
to refill it/forget to bring it home for a wash.

Look up absent minded in the dictionary and you'll find my picture.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 3:25:17 AM6/26/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 5:10:01 PM UTC-7, barbie gee wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, smr wrote:
>
> by "we" I mean all the USA honorary members of STUPIDEMIC, Inc.
>
> I don't buy bottled water, ever. If I'm offered a bottle of water, I will
> often refuse it, even. If there's a choice of bottled water or getting
> some from the tap, I will get from the tap. The only way I would ever
> have any in the household was if I was stocking my Mormon Pantry for the
> great catastrophe if I thought one was coming.
>
> But anyone who's lazy or clueless thinks bottle water is "great!", and
> they are the "we" I was referring to.

It wasn't till we moved away that we realized tap water did not
have to taste like a swimming pool. You can't even let it outgas
anymore, because of the chloramines. Like it as must as you want;
it does have defects deliberately introduced for safety..

Most bottled water is just filtered Lake Michigan or whatever: Dasani,Aqua Fina, etc. La Croix is just Lake St. Clair with added
CO2.
Some bottled water is in fact spring water. They have to name the
spring or springs they come from, and come up with a mineral content.

Waukesha, Wisconsin, in the news for wanting to hook up to Lake
Michigan, was once famous for its spring water. The White Rock
brand was known throughout the land. A pipeline was actually laid
between Waukesha and Chicago, to make the supply secure.

http://www.ci.waukesha.wi.us/great_water_fight

Bottled water is convenient and sanitary. We bring it on picnics,
or whenever we're likely to want to drink more than a half liter
apiece. We don't drink pop any more.

Bruce Esquibel

Jun 26, 2015, 6:38:50 AM6/26/15
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> But anyone who's lazy or clueless thinks bottle water is "great!", and
> they are the "we" I was referring to.

You guys just aren't getting the good stuff...

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/beverly-hills-90h20-the-first-crafted-water-18054/

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 26, 2015, 9:13:04 AM6/26/15
Where did you leave the dictionary?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

smr

Jun 26, 2015, 11:40:02 AM6/26/15
That's a shame, but I get it.

One good $20 purchase kicks the shit out of the $20/wk I'm guessing you
might spend on this if you go through water at anything near the rate I do.
It goes from nightstand to desk (if I'm working from home) or nighstand to
backup bottle slot to desk (if at the office). If I'm not at home for any
reason, it's in the backpack slot.

I'm the opposite of you, though, I think, in terms of anal-retentively
keeping things in the exact same place at all times so I know where they
are.

Have I mentioned how much I love my Contigo? Bought the wife one, too, she
loves hers.

--
smr

smr

Jun 26, 2015, 11:40:02 AM6/26/15
Chicago tap water does not taste like a swimming pool. I don't know what
lead-lined well you drank from in your childhood when you still lived here,
but it tastes comparable to the freshest spring water I've ever drank right
from the source.

> Bottled water is convenient and sanitary. We bring it on picnics,
> or whenever we're likely to want to drink more than a half liter
> apiece. We don't drink pop any more.

You're a consumerist tool.

--
smr

Cydrome Leader

Jun 26, 2015, 2:04:42 PM6/26/15
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2015, Cydrome Leader wrote:
>
>> barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

>>> oh, be my guest and rant away.
>>>
>>> My rant regards those feckless hipsters in the 6 flat next door, who,
>>> instead of petitioning their landlord for a recycling program in their
>>> building (as city mandated but not enforced), they were filling up my blue
>>> bin, the neighbors across the alley, and up and down the alley as well.
>>> We left notes, asking them to please stop, but they are lazy, so a whole
>>> bunch of us neighbors now have our blue bins tucked away behind our gate,
>>> or in our garage. Someone must have called the city (maybe one of those
>>> lazy kids?) and they now have two city bins next to their always
>>> overflowing Groot dumpster. Total misuse of the program, but at least
>>> their not filling up our Blue Bins leaving us compliant property owners
>>> and small building tenants with nowhere to put our own recyclables.
>>>
>>> The whole system is crap.
>>
>> So you're angry people used the recycle bins provided by the city, then
>> somebody ordered more and you're happy?
>>
>> What's the problem here?
>
> NO, I"M NOT HAPPY.
>
> Those freeloaders in the apartment building are using a service that they
> are NOT entitled to. Their lazy asses and their lazy landlord should have
> a recycling dumpster provided by Groot, just like their trash dumpster.

just tell them to stop recycling and throw everything away in their
commercial dumpsters.

problem solved.

Michele

Jun 26, 2015, 2:24:54 PM6/26/15
Nah. I rarely buy bottled water, so this is more an exception to the
rule than anything else. I have to watch when and where I drink water
because I absolutely hate getting caught out with a full bladder and
nowhere to pee. So I don't keep much in the way of water with me in the
car. At home? I clear the 75 oz water jug in about a day.

I have a locker at my gym and I keep a water bottle there because it's
damn nigh impossible to forget it when it's already there. Plus I can
keep it on the edge of the pool, unlike at the public pool.

> I'm the opposite of you, though, I think, in terms of anal-retentively
> keeping things in the exact same place at all times so I know where they
> are.

Oh, I can do that too. But if I'm grabbing a bunch of shit out of the
car and deciding what to drag up 2.5 flights of stairs? Chances are good
I'll overlook the water bottle.

Michele

Jun 26, 2015, 2:25:15 PM6/26/15
Good question.

Ts of Og

Jun 26, 2015, 3:12:23 PM6/26/15
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 10:40:02 AM UTC-5, smr wrote:

> Chicago tap water does not taste like a swimming pool. I don't know what
> lead-lined well you drank from in your childhood when you still lived here,
> but it tastes comparable to the freshest spring water I've ever drank right
> from the source.

Chug that Vanecko-Mell-Murhpy nectar. Get your face up in that park spigot and replenish your blood iron !!

Max

Jun 27, 2015, 11:00:02 AM6/27/15
On 2015-06-26 07:25:16 +0000, spamtr...@gmail.com said:

> They have to name the
> spring or springs they come from, and come up with a mineral content.

waaaya back in the day i lived in Saratoga Springs
<http://www.saratogaspringwater.com/our-history.html> and later, a few
miles from Calistoga Ca <http://www.calistogawater.com>.

Usig anything else seemed.... weird. I remember the local reactions to
Naive water...

Sadly, it appears that Callistoga got Merged, Nestle'd and debased. :-(

Max

Jun 27, 2015, 11:10:01 AM6/27/15
On 2015-06-26 14:07:38 +0000, barbie gee said:
> This strikes me as highly unlikely, but whatevs.

The one in Wayne and a couple outhers were hand-pumped fountains. One
had a sign that said "unfit for human consumption" that I found in the
weeds after I'd watered-up. you don't know what it's like out there,
man.

It also turned out that, while convenient, the dog faucet may not have
best choice for filling up my bottles.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gregory Morrow

Jun 27, 2015, 12:09:32 PM6/27/15
barbie gee wrote:
> I try to optimize for not forgetting by having my gym bags have a slot on
> the exterior that fits a water bottle. Or, the one steel bottle I have,
> has a loop and a carbiner clip on it. Yeah, it's a nuisance to manage,
> but I've probably got 4 different water bottles, so if I scatter them
> about enough, I usually have one. In a real pinch at the gym, I'll
> buy one, they're like $1.
>
> I also have my mental checklist, much like Iused to use when a club-kid;
> then it was;
> keys, money, id's, cigs, lipstick.
> now for the gym it's;
> headband, water bottle, towel, lock, especially if I'm changing from my
> swim bag to/from my exercise bag.

U fergot "kitties" on the list ...

--
Best
Greg

Michele

Jun 27, 2015, 3:01:33 PM6/27/15
Hah!

Michele

Jun 27, 2015, 3:02:12 PM6/27/15
On 6/27/2015 10:05 AM, barbie gee wrote:
> I try to optimize for not forgetting by having my gym bags have a slot
> on the exterior that fits a water bottle. Or, the one steel bottle I
> have, has a loop and a carbiner clip on it. Yeah, it's a nuisance to
> manage, but I've probably got 4 different water bottles, so if I scatter
> them about enough, I usually have one. In a real pinch at the gym, I'll
> buy one, they're like $1.
>
> I also have my mental checklist, much like Iused to use when a club-kid;
> then it was;
> keys, money, id's, cigs, lipstick.
> now for the gym it's;
> headband, water bottle, towel, lock, especially if I'm changing from my
> swim bag to/from my exercise bag.

Well, if I had a gym bag, sure. But I have a locker at the gym, so water
bottle stays there.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 29, 2015, 2:56:36 PM6/29/15
> oh no, they want to tread lightly on mother earth, dontcha know! But in
> the most lazy, "let someone else do the hard work" way, possible.
>
> My latest annoyance is the girl next door who got a dog, and hasn't a clue
> about how to teach them simple commands, but instead goes on long
> discussions with this poor animal, who generally has no idea what it is
> she wants. Instead of "come", "sit", "stop", it's "Goober, come here! I
> told you you can't go out front, what are you doing? get over here..."
> What a moron.
>
> Oh, have I mentioned how much I hate those people in that building next
> door? Although for whatever it's worth, I still say "Hi" when I see one,
> just to see if any one of them will respond with anything other than a
> glazed over glare.

I think you need to meet my old neighbor. You're almost neighbors anyways
now that she left my building. You can spend days together complaining
about the little things that all the neighbords do to bother you.

I can arrange a play-date at the Scofflaw if you'd like.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 29, 2015, 3:06:56 PM6/29/15
You have a weak sense of taste or smell.

Our water IS good, but depending on the time of year, the chlorine levels
go up and down, and in the summer they can go way up. I can smell and
taste it. It always tastes better if left to sit out of a bit or if
filters with something like a brita.

Again, if you have a weak sense of taste and smell, that's great and all.
Unlike everywhere else, you won't get sick from our water and it doesn't
actually stink or destroy everything it touches. I am quite pleased with
Chicago water.

smr

Jun 29, 2015, 6:00:02 PM6/29/15
I have never noticed a chlorinated smell or taste to the water. Dunno
where my sense of either lands on a general scale.

--
smr

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 29, 2015, 10:08:34 PM6/29/15
He's absolutely right. There have been times of the year that the fecal
count is up; they dump in more chlorine. And there are several times
that they dump in more chlorine for water problems that chlorine won't
solve but claim to be doing it in the abundance of caution.

It's been several years since I've noticed it.

I always love when dissolved detergents are noticeable; the water foams
strangely.

Geoff Gass

Jul 2, 2015, 12:10:02 PM7/2/15
it's more smell then taste, but it definitely happens from time to time and
it seems to offgas pretty quickly.