Aldis finds

eat me

May 29, 2016, 5:12:43 PM5/29/16
They tore down my Aldis so I'm in exile to
the one on Clybourn by that Menards and
pedestrian hostile Riverfront plaza. That
Aldis features cramped aisles and bread
that will go bad in two days unless you
remember to check the expiration date and dig
in the back for the good bread. They got
me twice already.

Anyway I tried out this new brand of
hamburger patties called "Cattlemen's
Ranch" and they are fantastic. They
cost $2 more than Black Angus for
a package of 6 but well worth it. Hardly
any grease drains when frying them up.

Aldis also started carrying Ginos East
deep dish pizza for $6 which is a good
deal. I haven't cooked one up yet since
it is a lot of food to eat in one sitting.

Max

May 30, 2016, 11:00:01 AM5/30/16
They started carrying their own sriracha sauce -- and it's made in Viet Nam.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm very optimistic.

eat me

May 30, 2016, 11:56:54 AM5/30/16
What is sriracha sauce?

Geoff Gass

May 30, 2016, 5:10:02 PM5/30/16
chili sauce named after a town in thailand. commonly found in thai or
vietnamese restaurants in a red bottle with a rooster on it

barbie gee

May 30, 2016, 9:50:02 PM5/30/16

On Sun, 29 May 2016, eat me wrote:

> They tore down my Aldis so I'm in exile to
> the one on Clybourn by that Menards and
> pedestrian hostile Riverfront plaza. That
> Aldis features cramped aisles and bread
> that will go bad in two days unless you
> remember to check the expiration date and dig
> in the back for the good bread. They got
> me twice already.

Yeah, I thought they were gonna rebuild the Aldi into a newer one, but
it's gonna be a condo or apartment building there.

I'm not a fan of the Clybourn store, but I'm a regular.
There's one at Belmont and Kimball, but that's a depressing one.

eat me

May 31, 2016, 12:52:34 PM5/31/16
It's a TOD and Aldis will be first floor brand new opening
next Spring sometime. They just remodeled that Aldis too
but the slab floor had a lot of cracks in it. As the
millenials get reamed in rent upstairs they can at least
walk downstairs and not get ripped off on groceries.

Ts of Og

May 31, 2016, 8:50:33 PM5/31/16
Aldi also carries its house Bremer brand. Any relation to George Wallace's "buddy" Arthur ??

barbie gee

May 31, 2016, 10:30:01 PM5/31/16
Oh, that's good, at least there will still be an Aldi there, although I
hate having to wait.

I've always wondered how the Aldi over on Clybourn, under the Trader
Joe's, does in terms of money-making. The parking garage is easy, but
trekking to the actual store takes up time that I don't always want to
waste.

It's like Mariano's with parking on the roof; you spend 8 minutes just
getting into a space and into the store after waiting for the elevator or
getting to the escalator. The parking is there, it just takes extra time.

eat me

Jun 1, 2016, 1:21:46 AM6/1/16
I don't have a car anymore so that Aldis by Trader Joes is too far of
a walk. Even when I had a car I rarely ever drove through that North
and Clybourn area because it's a traffic clusterfuck. I shopped
that area when Siegles and Hommakers were there. Siegles was kind
of expensive though. The Aldis by Riverpoint and Menards and they
have a lot of parking.

tert in seattle

Jun 1, 2016, 1:50:01 AM6/1/16
too bad Kenjie's not here - he had a lot of insight about parking

also if Adam wasn't off pouting somewhere he could help with some tips
about getting around on the bus or the ``L''

we need new blood

Michele

Jun 1, 2016, 4:37:10 PM6/1/16
He wasn't a fan of Trader Joe's. Too much froo-froo shit loaded with salt.

dye

Jun 9, 2016, 6:05:07 PM6/9/16
In article <Td2dnbKTJJvr2tLK...@giganews.com>,
most of theh stuff I get at TJ's *needs* a little salt!

--Ken

--
Ken R. Dye an optimist is a guy |
Chicago, Illinois that has never had |

Michele

Jun 10, 2016, 10:20:59 AM6/10/16
The frozen stuff, last I looked, is loaded with salt. Haven't been into
a TJs for at least a year, so don't know if that's changed.

barbie gee

Jun 10, 2016, 10:40:02 PM6/10/16
I was there last week. Picked up some odds and ends. I bought a "Two
Buck Chuck" Cabernet, as well as a big Rodney Hill Cab (or something like
that name), that was pretty damned good for the price. I'll be looking
for more of that one.

I was not in a position to deal with frozen foods when I was there, so I
think I got like almond "beverage" and some whipped cream cheese and some
other stuff I can't remember. I guess the big question is, "how much
sodium is 'too much' per serving?"

Michele

Jun 11, 2016, 12:30:15 AM6/11/16
People with normally functioning hearts and lungs won't really get
affected by "too much" salt. Kenji got flash pulmonary edema by going
back to his old eating habits one weekend and wound up in the hospital
to take care of the problem that Sunday or Monday night.

And that's what started him on the road to becoming a pit master.

matt2

Jun 11, 2016, 2:00:01 AM6/11/16
On 2016-06-11, barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> I was there last week. Picked up some odds and ends. I bought a "Two
> Buck Chuck" Cabernet, as well as a big Rodney Hill Cab (or something like
> that name), that was pretty damned good for the price. I'll be looking
> for more of that one.

Rodney Strong? My friend likes their Chard.

barbie gee

Jun 11, 2016, 10:30:02 AM6/11/16
If the name starts with Rodney, and they sell it at Trader Joe's in the
1.5 liter bottle, yeah, that's the one!

Geoff Gass

Jun 11, 2016, 11:30:01 PM6/11/16
barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:
> I was not in a position to deal with frozen foods when I was there, so I
> think I got like almond "beverage" and some whipped cream cheese and some
> other stuff I can't remember. I guess the big question is, "how much
> sodium is 'too much' per serving?"

I usually use the sodium-to-calorie ratio method. Sodium less than cals?
Awesome. Sodium around the same to a little above? okay. Sodium getting close
to double cals? maybe something I really like and don't eat often. More than
double? do not buy.

the basis of it is the 2300mg recommended limit vs 2000 calorie adult diet in
most RDA stuff.

there is an appalling amount of products where the cals will be in the 200-250
range and the sodium will be over 1000.

barbie gee

Jun 12, 2016, 10:50:01 AM6/12/16
Canned soups are notorious for being low-cal, high-sodium, and totally
meet your ratio method.

In general, though, i just look at numbers of sodium per serving, and when
it's pushing >400mg, I look for a lower alternative if available. Or I
splurge there, and work the rest of the day to keep the total sodium low
by eating low or no sodium stuff.

I know we've had these discussions many times, but if you don't have time
to cook, it can be hard to avoid convenience foods that are all heavily sodium
laden.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 13, 2016, 3:55:19 PM6/13/16
I'm going to pick up some Riunite in the next few days. It's
fascinating that they still sell it. The Binny's on Roosevelt is alleged
to have some.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 13, 2016, 3:59:08 PM6/13/16
Cydrome Leader <pres...@mungepanix.com> wrote:
> I'm going to pick up some Riunite in the next few days. It's
> fascinating that they still sell it. The Binny's on Roosevelt is alleged
> to have some.

forgot the links to the commercials-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnhOvnIi5Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGw_ekbxj5M

there's more too

barbie gee

Jun 13, 2016, 9:10:01 PM6/13/16
How sweet is that stuff?
Wasn't Cold Duck bubbly, too?

Ya know, people drink Prosecco now for the same effect...

dye

Jun 16, 2016, 12:51:37 PM6/16/16
In article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1...@sghcrg.sghcrg.pbz>,
I'll watch TJ's frozen stuff more closely now. Yesterday (didn't want to
use stove, A/C not working so hot) microwaved some TJs "Saucy Scallops with
Mushrooms", actually really, really good "Made in France" with a
wine/emmenthaller sauce:

150 calories, 330mg sodium. Fails Geoff's test, passes Brabs.

Total fail: V8 juice. 50 calories/serving, 650mg sodium...

sticks

Jun 16, 2016, 7:13:14 PM6/16/16
On 6/16/2016 11:51 AM, dye wrote:

> Total fail: V8 juice. 50 calories/serving, 650mg sodium...

I've seen more like 480 mg/8 ounce serving.
But, they do have the low sodium variety with 120mg.

I say fuck it , and have a glass of spicy hot every day.

eat me

Jun 16, 2016, 8:08:21 PM6/16/16
Just made an Aldis run today and now I know what sriracha sauce
is because I have been buying it for the past year. It comes
in a red plastic squeeze bottle and it is very good. I never
bothered to read the label.

Spent a record $140 on groceries at Aldis today and walked the entire
lot home in my shopping cart. That was some serious tetris
action. The Jewel at Riverpoint looked kind of deserted like
it was closed down or something. They should have realized
that isn't a very good location had they scouted it when
Dominicks suffered there. What's the over under for when
Jewel goes bankrupt?

Geoff Gass

Jun 17, 2016, 9:20:01 AM6/17/16
eat me <m...@brandylion.com> wrote:
> What's the over under for when Jewel goes bankrupt?

We went to Woodman's in Kenosha over Memorial weekend (my parents have a cabin
in Wisconsin). I'd been in the awesome beer section before, but hadn't bought
groceries there before. It blew me away. The selection was awesome, none of
Jewel's "Simplify Her Experience" bullshit.

matt2

Jun 17, 2016, 1:10:01 PM6/17/16
I think they're adding a couple new stores in Lake County. I haven't been
in one in IL yet so I don't know if anything is lacking here besides New Glarus.

Geoff Gass

Jun 17, 2016, 1:50:02 PM6/17/16
I didn't know they were in IL, but I see why, none of the locations
(Carpentersville, Rockford, N Aurora) are useful to me.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are other beer differences due to the state line
besides the obvious New Glarus, but hopefully the grocery is similarly good.

eat me

Jun 17, 2016, 4:45:03 PM6/17/16
Simplify Her Experience sounds like a form of cunnilingis.

barbie gee

Jun 17, 2016, 5:50:02 PM6/17/16
I hope you had something else with that tiny 150 cal entree!
that's a snack...

barbie gee

Jun 17, 2016, 6:00:02 PM6/17/16
$140 at Aldi is pretty amazing (high), even if you're shopping for two,
but I've found some stuff has gone up in price quite a bit, or if you buy
some "big ticket" items or their seasonal specials it can push the bill
up.

I have no idea how any of the Jewel stores are still in business. The one
across from Mariano's on Roscoe/Western? I don't think I ever see anyone
in their lot. no idea how they survive, anymore than that one you're
talking about at Riverpoint (not to be confused with Riverview).

barbie gee

Jun 17, 2016, 6:00:02 PM6/17/16
Yeah, I think maybe Woodman's positions itself as a bit of an upscale
store, or at least that's the impression I got when .max and I went to the
N Aurora one, once, a decade ago.

dye

Jun 17, 2016, 7:58:36 PM6/17/16
In article <njvbq9$2r5$1...@dont-email.me>,
Not so sure what the Tabsaco and Worcestershire sauces add as far
as soudium adds but at that point....who gives a *iit???
A mid-morning snack of walnuts and the aforementioned elixir
have done okey-dokey by me...

--Ken "hold the celery salt" Dye

Max

Jun 17, 2016, 9:40:02 PM6/17/16
I was particularly impressed by their comprehensive Clubman men's
grooming selection.

eat me

Jun 17, 2016, 11:26:59 PM6/17/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 5:00:02 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:

> $140 at Aldi is pretty amazing (high), even if you're shopping for two,
> but I've found some stuff has gone up in price quite a bit, or if you buy
> some "big ticket" items or their seasonal specials it can push the bill
> up.

I don't have a car and have to walk with a shopping cart. The
Aldis in Riverpoint or Riverfront plaza by Menards is much much
farther than the one they tore down so I have cut back to once
every four weeks. My shopping cart consists of 3 15 gallon crates
stacked on a heavy duty hand cart. My previous record was $110
about a month ago.

Most everything at the boutique stores by me is double or more
than Aldis so the more I buy there the less I have to get at
stores within a few blocks. They really soak people around here
and it's funny how some people don't even think those stores
are expensive. "Oh, the prices are great" they claim. Idiots!

> I have no idea how any of the Jewel stores are still in business. The one
> across from Mariano's on Roscoe/Western? I don't think I ever see anyone
> in their lot. no idea how they survive, anymore than that one you're
> talking about at Riverpoint (not to be confused with Riverview).

I bought some seedlings that were on sale outside last month at
that Jewel in Riverpoint where
the Omni and Dominicks used to be. Had to go inside to pay and
even though it was empty the few people left had to wait in line.
It eerily reminded me the last time I shopped that Dominicks.
Even Aldis hardly makes you wait when they're busy and they are
the fastest cashiers on the planet.

Geoff Gass

Jun 18, 2016, 12:40:01 AM6/18/16
that was, quite seriously, their code name for cutting back on the number of
carried products back in 2010. you know, because it's hard work being a broad
and grocery shopping needs to be made easier for them gals.

Geoff Gass

Jun 18, 2016, 12:40:01 AM6/18/16
I thought you were a Dapper Dan Man

tert in seattle

Jun 18, 2016, 2:40:02 PM6/18/16
eat me wrote:
> On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 5:00:02 PM UTC-5, barbie gee wrote:
>
>> $140 at Aldi is pretty amazing (high), even if you're shopping for two,
>> but I've found some stuff has gone up in price quite a bit, or if you buy
>> some "big ticket" items or their seasonal specials it can push the bill
>> up.
>
> I don't have a car and have to walk with a shopping cart.

you may have seen these large vehicles with numbers on them like "36" and
words like "Broadway" ambling down the street, with a couple of doors on
the right side - they're called busses and you can ride them if you have
a couple dollars to spare

give it a try - you might meet some new and interesting people

barbie gee

Jun 18, 2016, 4:00:01 PM6/18/16
Heh.

I needed to get to State and Washington yesterday, and was in no mood to
pay $$$ for parking. So, I took my trusty Blue Line to downtown.
I don't have a Ventra card, so the nice lady at the station helped me, and
said I could buy ride for $3.00, and it would be good for like 3 hours.
So, I got myself downtown and back, and even squeezed in a stop at
Marshall Fields while I was at it.
And I got a little walkies in, to boot.

barbie gee

Jun 18, 2016, 4:00:01 PM6/18/16
for what it's worth, though, anderson strikes me as more of a cargo bike
guy than a public transportation guy.

eat me

Jun 18, 2016, 8:25:46 PM6/18/16
I'm not sure they'd let me on a bus with my cart full as it's
kind of bulky. Think 3 16" crates stacked. It's no problem
walking it as the dolly has big inflatable rubber tires that
can go over anything. Getting through the Fullerton/Damen
intersection has been bad since they don't really give
a shit about pedestrians. There would be whining to City
Hall if they half assed routed cars like they do pedestrians.

Luckily the new leg from Fullerton to Elston is finished
and there are some roads I can serpentine in that weird
neighborhood to get to Damen. I bought some chips for
the bums under the bridge but they weren't there and
now I have these extra bags of chips I shouldn't be
eating.

Michele

Jun 19, 2016, 2:03:52 AM6/19/16
Woodman's? Upscale? LOL

R. Ess

Jun 19, 2016, 5:56:30 AM6/19/16
In order for them to keep prices low, the last I was there, they
didn't accept credit cards. I believe they only accept debit cards,
including at their gas station pumps.

ChiFan

Michele

Jun 19, 2016, 2:07:41 PM6/19/16
Yeah, they only accept cash or debit. Doesn't keep people from shopping
there, though.

matt2

Jun 19, 2016, 8:50:02 PM6/19/16
I guess that makes Aldi more upscale now?

Michele

Jun 19, 2016, 11:57:35 PM6/19/16
Aldi's ain't got nothing on Woodman's. Woodman's is something else entirely.

core

Jun 20, 2016, 12:10:01 PM6/20/16
On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:57:40 -0500, Michele
We might get a Woodmans out by here. They're talking about a location
in Lake County in Lakemoor.

Michele

Jun 20, 2016, 2:19:06 PM6/20/16
Apparently there's been a bit of a lawsuit over who gets what taxes for
the location. Think Wauconda stuck their beak into things and it's
slowing down development.

barbie gee

Jun 20, 2016, 6:50:02 PM6/20/16
I'll ask .max, maybe I'm thinking of a different place...

barbie gee

Jun 21, 2016, 12:40:02 PM6/21/16
.max says it was yooge, more than upscale, with lots of variety.

Michele

Jun 21, 2016, 12:53:44 PM6/21/16
There is a Woodman's in Auwowa, and they use about as much floor space
as a Costco. It's got lots of variety, that's for sure, but they keep
prices on the lower side. The feeling I get is that their buyers have
the challenge of finding enough product to fill the shelves instead of
trying to cram stuff into limited space.

The one in Kenosha is the one I like to go to for the fresh cheese
curds. Mmmmmmm cheese curds.

Geoff Gass

Jun 22, 2016, 12:10:01 AM6/22/16
how is there a lawsuit, isn't it either in Wauconda or not? or is it that
Wauconda is trying to annex the spot and the owners and county don't want them
to?

core

Jun 22, 2016, 1:40:02 PM6/22/16
Might be the Wauconda fire protection district, but more likely the
Wauconda School District, both of which cover that area.

Michele

Jun 22, 2016, 10:13:41 PM6/22/16
A corner of the property leaks over into Wauconda which is why Scumconda
is getting involved:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-lns-woodmans-grocery-eyes-lakemoor-st-0225-20160224-story.html

Geoff Gass

Jun 23, 2016, 11:10:02 AM6/23/16
oh, that makes sense, so they're arguing over what percentage Wauconda gets,
which I'm sure Wauconda would like it based on percent of overall property, but
the opposing jurisdictions will say it's just parking lot so it should be based
on the building instead or some such mess. got it.

Ts of Og

Jun 25, 2016, 3:02:35 PM6/25/16
Even Aldi takes credit cards now. The dumpiness returns when Aldi fills the middle of aisles with seasonal plants and yard stuff. I don't think the plant soil is free of bugs.

eat me

Jun 25, 2016, 8:46:39 PM6/25/16
It's too late to plant now but I ran into some very good
plant finds at Aldis over the years. I have a redwood tree growing
outside that I got for $9.99. It's three years old now and supposed
to grow to 75 feet. Potting soil is kind of stupid for Aldis
to carry. THe Miracle Grow that people buy at Menards and
Home Depot is a complete scam so maybe Aldis sees a way to undercut
that.

Cydrome Leader

Jun 27, 2016, 1:36:59 PM6/27/16
So the soil matches the food. No big deal.