[cherokee-http] [Cherokee] cherokee said ERROR: Broken installation detected

Andres Vargas - zodman

May 13, 2010, 9:10:29 PM5/13/10
to cher...@lists.octality.com
hi list

im download the cherokee 1.0.0

run the configure make install

an the output are:

root@gaina:~/cherokee-1.0.0# cherokee
ERROR: Broken installation detected
  Cherokee        (cherokee) 1.0.0
  Cherokee-worker (/usr/local/sbin/cherokee-worker) 0.99.41

:O im delete the old cherokee on my /usr/local/

 its think exist some cherokee lib and cheroke-woker compile with   0.99.41 lib ? its that correct ?

Alvaro Lopez Ortega

May 14, 2010, 9:48:43 AM5/14/10
to Andres Vargas - zodman, cher...@lists.octality.com
Hey! (long time no see!)
There is an old Cherokee version messing around. Try to find and remove it:

find /usr -name 'cherokee*' -print

Usually is the problem is related to having Cherokee in two different installation paths (/usr and /usr/local).

--
Octality
http://www.octality.com/

Andres Vargas - zodman

May 14, 2010, 12:03:02 PM5/14/10
to cher...@lists.octality.com
Done.. its solved

 find /usr -name 'cherokee*' -print | xargs rm -rf

make install and all works tnx

Alejandro Barrera

May 14, 2010, 3:01:42 PM5/14/10
to cher...@lists.octality.com
On Friday 14 May 2010 15:48:43 Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> There is an old Cherokee version messing around. Try to find and remove it:
>
> find /usr -name 'cherokee*' -print
>
> Usually is the problem is related to having Cherokee in two different
> installation paths (/usr and /usr/local).

Hmm, just for the sake of usability, we could be more verbose about that error. Something like:

"ERROR: Broken installation detected. Found other cherokee vers in /usr/local/... Please remove it first."

:)

Alex

--
http://www.neurosecurity.com

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi

Gunnar Wolf

May 17, 2010, 9:21:17 AM5/17/10
to Alejandro Barrera, cher...@lists.octality.com
Alejandro Barrera dijo [Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:01:42PM +0200]:

> > find /usr -name 'cherokee*' -print
> >
> > Usually is the problem is related to having Cherokee in two different
> > installation paths (/usr and /usr/local).
>
> Hmm, just for the sake of usability, we could be more verbose about that error. Something like:
>
> "ERROR: Broken installation detected. Found other cherokee vers in /usr/local/... Please remove it first."
>
> :)

This would be bad on many accounts. First of all, you as a local admin
might have _legitimate_ reasons to have more than one version of a
given program installed, Cherokee included - And they can work
reliably i.e. by setting rpath to their corresponding
libraries. Second, it could incur in a noticeable slowdown at startup,
while offending binaries are located.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gw...@gwolf.org(+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244

Alvaro Lopez Ortega

May 17, 2010, 9:40:07 AM5/17/10
to Gunnar Wolf, cher...@lists.octality.com
On 17/05/2010, at 15:21, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Alejandro Barrera dijo [Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:01:42PM +0200]:
>>> find /usr -name 'cherokee*' -print
>>>
>>> Usually is the problem is related to having Cherokee in two different
>>> installation paths (/usr and /usr/local).
>>
>> Hmm, just for the sake of usability, we could be more verbose about that error. Something like:
>>
>> "ERROR: Broken installation detected. Found other cherokee vers in /usr/local/... Please remove it first."
>>
>> :)
>
> This would be bad on many accounts. First of all, you as a local admin
> might have _legitimate_ reasons to have more than one version of a
> given program installed, Cherokee included - And they can work
> reliably i.e. by setting rpath to their corresponding
> libraries. Second, it could incur in a noticeable slowdown at startup,
> while offending binaries are located.

IMHO both of you guys are right..

Here is the patch a committed a few hours ago. It leaves the same error message, at the same time that it tries to point the user in the right direction: http://svn.cherokee-project.com/changeset/5102

I reckon it will be enough to solve ~90% of the issues. The other 10% will be either people who understand how rpath works, or people who don't have a clue about what they are doing or what the find command does.

--
Octality
http://www.octality.com/

Alejandro Barrera

May 17, 2010, 10:33:20 AM5/17/10
to Alvaro Lopez Ortega, cher...@lists.octality.com
On Monday 17 May 2010 15:40:07 Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> IMHO both of you guys are right..
>
> Here is the patch a committed a few hours ago. It leaves the same error
> message, at the same time that it tries to point the user in the right
> direction: http://svn.cherokee-project.com/changeset/5102
>
> I reckon it will be enough to solve ~90% of the issues. The other 10% will
> be either people who understand how rpath works, or people who don't have
> a clue about what they are doing or what the find command does.

Neat! Yeah I wrote that message for that case but I was suggesting just to change the error message :)

The new one is much clearer and allows for advance users to ignore it safely if they know what they are doing :)

Kudos Alvaro! :*

--
http://www.neurosecurity.com

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi

Gunnar Wolf

May 17, 2010, 10:50:32 AM5/17/10
to Alvaro Lopez Ortega, cher...@lists.octality.com
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Mon, May 17, 2010 at 03:40:07PM +0200]:

> > This would be bad on many accounts. First of all, you as a local admin
> > might have _legitimate_ reasons to have more than one version of a
> > given program installed, Cherokee included - And they can work
> > reliably i.e. by setting rpath to their corresponding
> > libraries. Second, it could incur in a noticeable slowdown at startup,
> > while offending binaries are located.
>
> IMHO both of you guys are right..
>
> Here is the patch a committed a few hours ago. It leaves the same
> error message, at the same time that it tries to point the user in
> the right direction: http://svn.cherokee-project.com/changeset/5102
>
> I reckon it will be enough to solve ~90% of the issues. The other
> 10% will be either people who understand how rpath works, or people
> who don't have a clue about what they are doing or what the find
> command does.

I completely agree with thee resolution. And I expect you as
developers will get used to seeing that message while
developing+testing ;-)

--
Gunnar Wolf • gw...@gwolf.org(+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244