[OT][PyCon India] Taking stock of the situation

kausikram krishnasayee

Feb 8, 2011, 4:35:12 AM2/8/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
for those of you who have not been following the activities at the inpycon list please have a look at the following thread first

Its come to a very simple thing now, if we do not show interest and if we do not show active participation towards PyCon, we will not be able to host it in our city. As things stand we will have to take a call on whether we can muster enough manpower to do some ground activities to get the conference rolling or raise the defeat flag. i am ready to do the extra bit to get PyCon to come to Chennai, but as it is, it will be impossible for a single person to do this. this is the final call for volunteering. please respond back with your willingness or non-willingness to volunteer. we should be taking a call on this by the end of tomorrow.

thanks,
kausik

--
Kausikram Krishnasayee
Company: http://silverstripesoftware.com | Webpage: kausikram.in | Blog: blog.kausikram.in | Twitter: http://twitter.com/kausikram | Email: kaus...@gmail.com | Mobile: +91 9884246490

Vijay Kumar

Feb 8, 2011, 6:52:43 AM2/8/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
kausikram krishnasayee wrote:
> impossible for a single person to do this. this is the final call for
> volunteering. please respond back with your willingness or
> non-willingness to volunteer. we should be taking a call on this by the
> end of tomorrow.

I am willing to offer to some help.

Regards,
Vijay

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 8, 2011, 7:10:30 AM2/8/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

You can count me in as a volunteer as well.

I am totally new to the conference scene, so I have little idea as to
what it takes. What type of work is involved?

Thanks
Lakshmi

Jaisathish kumar

Feb 9, 2011, 9:48:50 PM2/9/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM, kausikram krishnasayee <kaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Its come to a very simple thing now, if we do not show interest and if we do not show active participation towards PyCon, we will not be able to >host it in our city. As things stand we will have to take a call on whether we can muster enough manpower to do some ground activities to get the >conference rolling or raise the defeat flag. i am ready to do the extra bit to get PyCon to come to Chennai, but as it is, it will be impossible for a >single person to do this. this is the final call for volunteering. please respond back with your willingness or non-willingness to volunteer. we should >be taking a call on this by the end of tomorrow.

You can add me as one in volunteering for the event...

Jai Sathish kumar Ashok
M.Tech - Remote Sensing
IRS
Anna University, Chennai

  99411 65288
Winners do not do different things; they do things differently.

Vijay Kumar

Feb 9, 2011, 10:45:56 PM2/9/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
kausikram krishnasayee wrote:
> in our city. As things stand we will have to take a call on whether we can
> muster enough manpower to do some ground activities to get the conference
> rolling or raise the defeat flag. i am ready to do the extra bit to get
> PyCon to come to Chennai, but as it is, it will be impossible for a single
> person to do this. this is the final call for volunteering. please respond
> back with your willingness or non-willingness to volunteer. we should be
> taking a call on this by the end of tomorrow.

We have four people now. Is it sufficient for the "ground team"?

Regards,
Vijay

kausikram krishnasayee

Feb 9, 2011, 10:50:06 PM2/9/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> We have four people now. Is it sufficient for the "ground team"?
not really :( but 4 is a start. i am sure the students body will swing
into action once we finalize rajalakshmi engineering college. we will
be needing numbers once we start nearing july when we have to actually
step out and arrange food, swagkits etc. by then i hope we will have a
lot of people on ground. i am going to be making a final bid today on
inpycon. please do join it, if you are not on it yet.

cheers,

codes

Feb 9, 2011, 10:57:54 PM2/9/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
i would also like to help though i can help only on
saturdays and sundays and i am also new to this kind of organizing.

sathya

Arun SAG

Feb 9, 2011, 10:48:47 PM2/9/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Vijay Kumar <vijay...@bravegnu.org> wrote:
>We have four people now. Is it sufficient for the "ground team"?

We need a date and venue. Any one in this list confident that they can get a venue? What are the criteria for venue selection? Whether wifi should be there? How many auditoriums?
--
Arun S.A.G
http://zer0c00l.in/

kausikram krishnasayee

Feb 10, 2011, 2:03:57 AM2/10/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> We need a date and venue. Any one in this list confident that they can get a
> venue? What are the criteria for venue selection? Whether wifi should be
> there? How many auditoriums?
Rajalakshmi Engineering Colege was ready to host us, we also have a
very supportive team inside the college.

Baiju M

Feb 10, 2011, 2:10:14 AM2/10/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM, kausikram krishnasayee
<kaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We need a date and venue. Any one in this list confident that they can get a
>> venue? What are the criteria for venue selection? Whether wifi should be
>> there? How many auditoriums?
> Rajalakshmi Engineering Colege was ready to host us, we also have a
> very supportive team inside the college.

My experience with conducting a Python training program in this college
was very nice [1]. So, I am +1 for this college.

[1] http://baijum81.livejournal.com/33872.html

Regards,
Baiju M

Noufal Ibrahim

Feb 10, 2011, 2:20:42 AM2/10/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 10 2011, kausikram krishnasayee wrote:

>> We need a date and venue. Any one in this list confident that they can get a
>> venue? What are the criteria for venue selection? Whether wifi should be
>> there? How many auditoriums?
> Rajalakshmi Engineering Colege was ready to host us, we also have a
> very supportive team inside the college.

[...]

I prefer Chennai to Coimbatore and it looks like you already have a
venue. If you can keep the steam up till the conference to make the
people on the ground get things done, I think Chennai has a strong
case.

Sponsorships will be (atleast partially) from outside (companies in
B'lore, Pune, Delhi etc.) so that will get distributed.

kausikram krishnasayee

Feb 10, 2011, 2:32:27 AM2/10/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> I prefer Chennai to Coimbatore and it looks like you already have a
> venue. If you can keep the steam up till the conference to make the
> people on the ground get things done, I think Chennai has a strong
> case.
Am writing a mail to inpycon, will put the cards on table. we can take
a call there.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 10, 2011, 2:43:10 AM2/10/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 13:02 +0530, kausikram krishnasayee wrote:
> > I prefer Chennai to Coimbatore and it looks like you already have a
> > venue. If you can keep the steam up till the conference to make the
> > people on the ground get things done, I think Chennai has a strong
> > case.
> Am writing a mail to inpycon, will put the cards on table. we can take
> a call there.

have you got confirmation from Rajalakshmi?
--
regards
KG

Pari

Feb 11, 2011, 5:12:28 AM2/11/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Kausikram Krishnasayee wrote:
it will be impossible for a single person to do this. this is the final call for volunteering. please respond back with your willingness or non-willingness to volunteer. we should be taking a call on this by the end of tomorrow.

I know that this is kind of late, but I spoke to a few friends of mine for the College of engineering Guindy. Please count four of us as volunteers

Regards,
Parikshith

Vijay Kumar

Feb 11, 2011, 5:36:40 AM2/11/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

Make sure you cast your vote at http://doodle.com/matm4dhi9t5nv7gv

Regards,
Vijay

Srinivasan R

Feb 11, 2011, 5:59:44 AM2/11/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
I have a feeling that, that poll is gamed.
Or there is a large group of python programmers in coimbatore.
Within 1 hour 3:20 - 4:20, the count for coimbatore increased from 23 - 113.

Isn't there a better poll site?
Anyone can edit anyone's votes and a single person can vote any number of times for his preferred city.

cnu
http://blogial.com | Blogial Network

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 11, 2011, 6:15:30 AM2/11/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 16:29 +0530, Srinivasan R wrote:
> I have a feeling that, that poll is gamed.

polls of this sort are stupid - they are so easily subverted

> Or there is a large group of python programmers in coimbatore.
> Within 1 hour 3:20 - 4:20, the count for coimbatore increased from 23
> - 113.

as far as this poll is concerned, I do not think it is gamed in that
sense. What has happened is that we have been conducting a lot of python
workshops in Coimbatore and Kerala and these are students who are
voting. Which is largely irrelevant as most of them would at the most be
volunteers or newbie participants

> Isn't there a better poll site?
> Anyone can edit anyone's votes and a single person can vote any number
> of
> times for his preferred city.

the only proper way is to have a poll where only logged in people can
vote, one vote per person and only people on the inpycon list can vote.
Otherwise it is meaningless.

Vela

Feb 12, 2011, 2:51:19 AM2/12/11
to Chennaipy

Hi Kaushik,

You can add me in volunteer list. I can bring up around 2 members with
me for the help.

Thanks,

Vela.Velappan

Feroze Naina

Feb 12, 2011, 11:01:31 PM2/12/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Count me in. I am a newbie to organizing events but I'd love to join.

NIVAS RAVICHANDRAN

Feb 13, 2011, 8:55:39 AM2/13/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
count me in too.. i have organized a few small events in my college and would love to help ...

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Feroze Naina <fero...@gmail.com> wrote:
Count me in. I am a newbie to organizing events but I'd love to join.

Vijay Kumar

Feb 13, 2011, 10:32:48 AM2/13/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
NIVAS RAVICHANDRAN wrote:
> count me in too.. i have organized a few small events in my college and
> would love to help ...

If I have been counting it right we now have 14 volunteers. But I guess
it's too late for PyCon India 2011. Pune seems to have won the bid.

But now that we know we have a new team, we could restart ChennaiPy
activities - do periodic workshops, sprints ...

Regards,
Vijay

sathya narayanan

Feb 13, 2011, 11:20:12 PM2/13/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
we can make the best out of this as vijay suggested.
too bad we could not conduct it in chennai.

sathya

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 13, 2011, 11:50:02 PM2/13/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I want to propose a fortnightly meetup for the active members of the group. I can sponsor up to Rs 2500 / meetup
for snacks and other expenses until we find sponsors when we are active and productive.

------------

The two meet-ups monthly can cover the following:

1.  Beginner: Short, original, high quality talks: ~30 minutes
2. Advanced: Short, original, high quality talks: ~30 minutes
3. Q/A discussions on real world python problems

--------------

We can also see if there are any open source projects that we can take on as a
collaborative group.

----------------

We could also record the talks and release it on the chennai py website to increase awareness and activity.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Lakshmi.

kausikram krishnasayee

Feb 14, 2011, 12:11:44 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All,

I want to propose a fortnightly meetup for the active members of the group. I can sponsor up to Rs 2500 / meetup
for snacks and other expenses until we find sponsors when we are active and productive.

In fact more than anything else all we need is a  place to meet with a projector and some 20 people to sit.

Roshan Mathews

Feb 14, 2011, 12:16:51 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:41, kausikram krishnasayee
<kaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact more than anything else all we need is a  place to meet with a
> projector and some 20 people to sit.

The room in Anna Univ had seats and a projector, but no people to fill
in the seats. :-)

--
http://about.me/rosh

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 12:37:54 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> The room in Anna Univ had seats and a projector, but no people to fill
> in the seats. :-)

Nice. Any contacts at AU? Can we still use their facility?

----

I am also sending an email to Thoughtworks Chennai to see if they are interested in hosting us.

Thanks
Lakshmi.

Vijay Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 12:54:15 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
kausikram krishnasayee wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com
> <mailto:lakshm...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I want to propose a fortnightly meetup for the active members of the
> group. I can sponsor up to Rs 2500 / meetup
> for snacks and other expenses until we find sponsors when we are
> active and productive.
>

> In fact more than anything else all we need is a place to meet with a
> projector and some 20 people to sit.

Zilogic can offer space for meetups ... We are located at Thiruvanmiyur.
Location map is here: http://www.zilogic.com/contact.html

Fortnightly seems to be too frequent to me. Probably we will start with
monthly and move on to fortnightly ...

Regards,
Vijay

Roshan Mathews

Feb 14, 2011, 12:53:47 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:07, Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The room in Anna Univ had seats and a projector, but no people to fill
>> in the seats.  :-)
>
> Nice. Any contacts at AU? Can we still use their facility?

No, but somebody did have them, meets have been held there for a while.

> I am also sending an email to Thoughtworks Chennai to see if they are interested in hosting us.

+1 to Thoughtworks, would be great if that works out.

--
http://about.me/rosh

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 2:09:57 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> Zilogic can offer space for meetups ... We are located at Thiruvanmiyur.
> Location map is here: http://www.zilogic.com/contact.html

Awesome :D

> Fortnightly seems to be too frequent to me. Probably we will start with
> monthly and move on to fortnightly ...

Agreed. Baby steps.

Next steps?

* Date / Time
- Would 24th Feb, 6PM be good?
* Talk Proposals
* Questions / Topics for discussion

Thanks
Lakshmi.

Yuvi Panda

Feb 14, 2011, 2:11:41 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
We could offer classes following LPTHW
(http://learnpythonthehardway.org/index). I volunteer to start things
off.

Also, let's please schedule it so that it doesn't clash with other
chennai geek events.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 2:25:38 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> We could offer classes following LPTHW
> (http://learnpythonthehardway.org/index). I volunteer to start things
> off.

Neat. Thats perfect :)

> Also, let's please schedule it so that it doesn't clash with other
> chennai geek events.

I am new to the tech scene in Chennai (been out of the country for a good while). I
have no idea what / when other events are. Anyone thats active can take over the
scheduling of the next meet up (OT: where can I find more about other Chennai geek
events?)

--------

Also, since we are starting off with a monthly once meetup, my sponsorship remains the same
in quantity but increases per event - so its Rs 5000 / event.

Thanks
Lakshmi.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Feb 14, 2011, 2:39:42 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:55 +0530, Lakshmi Vyas wrote:
> I am new to the tech scene in Chennai (been out of the country for a
> good while). I
> have no idea what / when other events are. Anyone thats active can
> take over the
> scheduling of the next meet up (OT: where can I find more about other
> Chennai geek
> events?)

saturday afternoons normally. 2nd saturday is Chennai lug meet and we
used to have chennaipy meets every 4th saturday. Our policy in those
days was to have the meet come what may even if only 2 people attend.

> --------
>

> Also, since we are starting off with a monthly once meetup, my
> sponsorship remains the same
> in quantity but increases per event - so its Rs 5000 / event.

afaik 50 rs is more than enough for a meeting. It is people that are
missing, not money

Arulalan T

Feb 14, 2011, 2:41:37 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/14 Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com>:

>> Zilogic can offer space for meetups ... We are located at Thiruvanmiyur.
>> Location map is here: http://www.zilogic.com/contact.html
>
> Awesome :D
>
>> Fortnightly seems to be too frequent to me. Probably we will start with
>> monthly and move on to fortnightly ...
>
> Agreed. Baby steps.
>
> Next steps?
>
> * Date / Time
>        - Would 24th Feb, 6PM be good?

I suggest dont fix the meet ups on week days. Probably saturday or sunday

time should be 1pm to 4 pm or 2 pm to 5 pm or varying in between that.
But time should not exceed 6pm.
So that should be helpful for girls or long distance travellers.

--
Regards,
Arulalan.T

My Experiments In Gnu/Linux !  : http://tuxcoder.wordpress.com
Kanchi Linux User Group Rocks ! : http://kanchilug.wordpress.com

Arulalan T

Feb 14, 2011, 2:43:15 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/14 Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com>:

> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:55 +0530, Lakshmi Vyas wrote:
>> I am new to the tech scene in Chennai (been out of the country for a
>> good while). I
>> have no idea what / when other events are. Anyone thats active can
>> take over the
>> scheduling of the next meet up (OT: where can I find more about other
>> Chennai geek
>> events?)
>
> saturday afternoons normally. 2nd saturday is Chennai lug meet and we
> used to have chennaipy meets every 4th saturday. Our policy in those
> days was to have the meet come what may even if only 2 people attend.
>>
>> --------
>>

>> Also, since we are starting off with a monthly once meetup, my
>> sponsorship remains the same
>> in quantity but increases per event - so its Rs 5000 / event.
>
> afaik 50 rs is more than enough for a meeting. It is people that are
> missing, not money

+1

To conduct python meetup, we no need money.

Probably few industry python people.

So that may help to students to learn many things from them.

> --
> regards
> KG
> http://lawgon.livejournal.com
> Coimbatore LUG rox
> http://ilugcbe.techstud.org/

Arulalan T

Feb 14, 2011, 2:45:46 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com, Sathish
2011/2/14 Roshan Mathews <rmat...@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:07, Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The room in Anna Univ had seats and a projector, but no people to fill
>>> in the seats.  :-)
>>
>> Nice. Any contacts at AU? Can we still use their facility?
>>
> No, but somebody did have them, meets have been held there for a while.

Satish from AU done that. We can get room and projector again, if
people suggested that.
[cced]

>> I am also sending an email to Thoughtworks Chennai to see if they are interested in hosting us.
>>
> +1 to Thoughtworks, would be great if that works out.
>
> --
> http://about.me/rosh

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 2:56:37 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> we
> used to have chennaipy meets every 4th saturday. Our policy in those
> days was to have the meet come what may even if only 2 people attend.

Sounds fantastic to me.

> afaik 50 rs is more than enough for a meeting. It is people that are
> missing, not money

Nice. I was hoping that money can bring in the facilities / food that will make it easier for
people to attend the event and contribute.

My offer still remains. If it is a truly inexpensive thing to do, we can perhaps use it for awards,
incubating open source projects and other larger scale events.

Thanks
Lakshmi

karthick kb

Feb 14, 2011, 2:56:31 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Cool.. am  interested in python groups.. about to learn python and hope i will have more fun and learning with you guys :)
Karthick

Arulalan T

Feb 14, 2011, 3:06:04 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/14 Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com>:

>> afaik 50 rs is more than enough for a meeting. It is people that are
>> missing, not money
>
> Nice. I was hoping that money can bring in the facilities / food that will make it easier for
> people to attend the event and contribute.
>
> My offer still remains. If it is a truly inexpensive thing to do, we can perhaps use it for awards,
> incubating open source projects and other larger scale events.

I am appreciating the above idea. Its really good encouragement to the
students. :)

> Thanks
> Lakshmi

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 6:41:32 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just keep the momentum going...

1. I have created a free meet up - please sign up / in and RSVP: http://www.groupomatic.com/ko9noioo - (4th saturday of this month = 26th Feb)
2. I have also created a topic request forum - please add your requests for talks - http://chennaipy.uservoice.com

=====================

@Yuvi - can you confirm if 26th Feb gives you enough time to prepare for your talk?
@Vijay - Would 3PM on the 26th be good for a meetup at Zilogic?

Thanks
Lakshmi

Vijay Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 7:13:51 AM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Lakshmi Vyas wrote:
> @Vijay - Would 3PM on the 26th be good for a meetup at Zilogic?

That should be fine.

Regards,
Vijay

Yuvi Panda

Feb 14, 2011, 12:43:53 PM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

Apologies for top posting. Fourth saturday this month my college has an open house projects exhibit where I'm demoing four or five projects (all in python) so awful timing.

Also, you can't do lpthw as a talk - it is more a class/workshop than talk. I think newbie talks aren't as useful for real newbies as a small workshop

On 14-Feb-2011, at 1:36 PM, Arulalan T wrote:

Arun SAG

Feb 14, 2011, 1:30:41 PM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Lakshmi Vyas <lakshm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>* Talk Proposals

Hi,

My name is Arun . I am new to python and to this list. I'd like to talk about a script kiddie app i developed to learn python. Here is the detailed description http://chennaipy.uservoice.com/forums/102153-talk-requests/suggestions/1490303-demo-transmissiontwitter?ref=title

--
Arun S.A.G
http://zer0c00l.in/

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 9:45:27 PM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com

 I think newbie talks aren't as useful for real newbies as a small workshop

Sounds good. We can perhaps have a separate day for this workshop. Yuvi, can you add yourself to http://www.groupomatic.com
and schedule the event?

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 9:49:10 PM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Also,

What do you need for the workshop? I am assuming you need a computer LAB like environment?

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 14, 2011, 9:50:55 PM2/14/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Sounds awesome and very interesting.

We need one more talk proposal. I can talk about some meta programming
features used in hyde if you guys are interested.

Also, if there are questions/topics that you'd like to discuss in the meetup please shoot. I am also trying to see if some organizational
leaders from CTS etc want to participate and perhaps have a panel or something in the future.

Thanks
Lakshmi.

Lakshmi Vyas

Feb 15, 2011, 6:35:49 AM2/15/11
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Still looking for one more talk.

Does anyone have a "intermediate / advanced" talk in the works?

Thanks
Lakshmi