January Meet Minutes

Vijay Kumar

Jan 27, 2013, 10:53:06 PM1/27/13
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,
Python users in Chennai met on 26th Jan. Despite being a holiday, we
had about 6 people attending the meet. Attendees included Balamurugan,
Ganesan, Murthyraju, Pradeesh, Reegan and Vijay

== pyudev

The Python Serial talk was cancelled because Keerthi Priyan, got held
up with some work. So we started off with the pyudev talk by
Vijay. Vijay first introduced the audience to udev. He also explained
that udev maintains a database of the devices connected to the system,
which can be queried using libudev. He then used pyudev, a python
wrapper for libudev, to list the devices connected to the system. He
also showed how to filter the devices, based on a criteria. He
described a common use case in applications (like
minicom/hyperterminal) that need to provide a list of devices (serial
ports) to choose from.

== paramiko

Reegan offered to give a short talk on paramiko, an ssh library. He
described a project he was working on, which involved testing
installation of custom packages on various operating systems. He
showed a script that automated the testing process. He walked through
the script, and explained the various APIs to connect to an SSH
server, execute commands, and get access to the standard input and
output streams.

Murthyraju, suggested that we check out, configuration management
tools, to help out in automating testing of package installation.

== General Discussion

Pradeesh, showed us a Google App Engine based project that we was
working on. It was a movie and music rating web application. He
explained some of the challenges in ranking movies based on user
rating. He promised to give a talk, in the next meet.

Murthyraju, also offered to talk on processing indic text, an area he
was working on. And the discussion then dragged into tamil unicode
encoding, and issues with text processing, font rendering, etc.

With this we came to end of another wonderful python meet.

Roshan Mathews

Jan 28, 2013, 1:08:02 AM1/28/13
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the write up.