IRC

RichardR

Dec 2, 2012, 9:41:56 PM12/2/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Thinking of settings up a small IRC server for the makerspace.
Main channel will be logged to a web page so people don't miss out if they're not connected 24/7.

Any opinions, requests or suggestions for it?

Ben Orrin

Dec 3, 2012, 4:32:47 PM12/3/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Im definitely for it, although I wasnt too sure about setting one up until we had a space.

Will

Dec 4, 2012, 5:31:23 PM12/4/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. Keeping it logged to a text file will be sufficient for me. Would prefer that to the skype tbh.

Ross

Dec 9, 2012, 9:11:39 AM12/9/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I'd like IRC. I've never used it before but the idea that we can just log on and chat is cool. I presume it's better for our purpose than Skype? Can MOTDs and stuff be posted, bulletins, important messages etc.?

RichardR

Dec 9, 2012, 10:34:47 AM12/9/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Yup, we can have bulletins posted in the server MOTD.

Joseph Walton-Rivers

Dec 18, 2012, 2:55:42 PM12/18/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.

In terms of networks, Freenode [1] is a worthwhile network to look into - you don't have to worry about running your own IRC server then. They're also pretty friendly and are used by a number of open source and free software projects (including Ubuntu, Fedora and the Colchester lug). Of course, you can always run your own if you'd prefer, they're not too difficult to set up with a little time and always fun to play with :P.

If you want to log IRC channels you'll probably want to use an IRC bot to do it. Supybot[2] is quite a popular python based bot which is quite easy to use (and comes with a boatload of plugins, including a channel logging one). It's also in the repos for Debian and Ubuntu (it used to be in Fedora as well, but I've not checked recently).

[1] irc://irc.freenode.net
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/supybot/

Ross

Dec 19, 2012, 11:10:35 AM12/19/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I think we'll make our own tbh, it's a Makerspace thing to do xD

Joseph Walton-Rivers

Dec 19, 2012, 12:53:51 PM12/19/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Have you looked much at IRC deamons?

Ross

Dec 19, 2012, 1:36:42 PM12/19/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I looked at some a while ago and with little knowledge of IRC, my brain keeled over at the sight of it. One of our other guys will probably do it. There is very little information on how to set up your own from what I found, but then again, I wasn't entirely sure of what I was looking for. Most sites told me to go to one of the networks like Freenode.

RichardR

Dec 21, 2012, 8:30:30 PM12/21/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Ahaha, yeah, IRCDs are very complex for most of what they do.
At the moment, a channel on Freenode or another network would be the best idea seeing as I'm busy with other things.

Ross

Dec 22, 2012, 7:18:48 AM12/22/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. It'd be nice to have one in the future.