3G data usage.

RichardR

Nov 15, 2012, 9:58:33 PM11/15/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Not to complain at anyone but our 3G data usage has gone from 100-200MB to now topping 600-700MB a week.
This amount is barely sustainable watching every single advert on Samba Mobile every single day.

While not currently a serious issue but please do check what you're doing, previous logging pointed at mostly background applications being the cause of alarming bursts of data usage.

Benjamin Orrin

Nov 16, 2012, 8:59:26 AM11/16/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
> --

I have noticed an increase in the number of computers on the network as
well.

YouTube, Image site, Downloading, etc all take up huge amount of data,
and since we get our 3G by watching advert we get very little bandwidth
to use. YouTube is a killer for bandwidth hogging, try and use it only
if necessary.

Make sure that all background programs (Bittorrent, Steam etc.) are
closed, if it persists we may have to block these programs from the network.

Ross

Nov 17, 2012, 4:51:14 AM11/17/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Definitely, definitely block Bittorrent and Steam. Noone needs to download updates from Steam while at Makerspace and noone needs to download any torrents while at Makerspace XD Almost all bandwidth used by both will be accidental. I mean, Utorrent opens automatically on my machine and I can forget to close it on occasion, although I haven't done that in a fair while.