Christmas meeting.

RichardR

Dec 5, 2012, 12:19:11 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
So next week is our christmas meeting and as suggested, we're eating pizza and playing games!

=Game suggestions=
Cube 2: Sauerbraten - http://sauerbraten.org/
Counter Strike (1.6/Source)
Whatever else people suggest.

Game requirements:
Free (or everyone is able to acquire)
Low system requirements (Netbooks must be able to run it fine)
Runs on LAN and doesn't /require/ an internet connection.

Would also be nice if the games were:
Cross platform.
Had a spectator mode for recording.

Games must be decided by this weekend to allow the Sunday and Monday for server setup.
Considering recording the gameplay, commentary and video to put up the next day.

=Pizza=
There will be pizza and probably drink, please bring £5 if you wish to have some.
Only thing that needs to be decided on is what Pizza to have so please suggest things.

If there's anything I've missed, do say!

Ben Orrin

Dec 5, 2012, 2:17:03 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with whatever, id prefer it to be a game that we're all at least familiar with, team-based games would actually be pretty good, which is why im being drawn to Counter Strike.

On the subject of pizza, people need to bring money, otherwise we wont get any! I have had people approach me about a few people in the space poncing everyone else's food, but never brings their own, and in some cases they have brought their own, but not shared it. I dont really want this attitude with the pizza.

Sam Gibson

Dec 5, 2012, 2:35:52 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind what Pizza we have. I'll bring money and chip in for whatever everyone else wants.

Games:
  • Age of Empires 1
  • Tribes: Ascend (bit high for system requirements)
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Halo 2 (might be able to run on netbooks)
  • Civilization 2 or 3

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Toby Sawyer

Dec 5, 2012, 2:49:03 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Game Suggestions:
-Starcraft 1
-Diablo 1/ 2
-Team Fortress Classic

RichardR

Dec 5, 2012, 2:52:46 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, James' Coke getting stolen is becoming an issue, this will hopefully be solved by having a kind of makerspace shop so that individual members don't have to keep having their food/drink pinched.
While I've thanked and/or given a small amount of money to those who have brought food/drink and provided biscuits myself early on as well as Mikado whenever I find them, most members don't.
In the new year, we'll hopefully have enough money to go on a Makro/Costco run.

Pizza will be on a "You pay half, you get half." or similar, of course taking into account what offers/deals there are.

KieranG

Dec 5, 2012, 3:11:39 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of Sven Co-op, it's basically Half Life 1 with Co-op. It works on LAN and we could give people a disc copy of Half Life if they needed it. Also due to the graphics, it should run fine. http://www.svencoop.com/

Alex Eary

Dec 5, 2012, 3:18:38 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Sven Co-op is such a pain to set up for everyone as it requires a large file to be transferred round, I would suggest Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3?

RichardR

Dec 5, 2012, 3:58:11 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com, alexe...@googlemail.com
Just a note that it's best if I knew the game so I could actually commentate on it, actually, maybe I could improv some funny commentary from not knowing the game!

Counter Strike 1.6 seems to be a very popular choice right now for an FPS.
We also have Half Life 2 Deathmatch suggested and on the PirateBox.
Quake 3 has been another one strongly suggested outside of the mailing list.
Warhammer 40k supports up to eight players but I'd like it if we all played one game together at a time.

Alex Cowell

Dec 5, 2012, 4:29:04 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Diablo 2 is 8-player co-op although I think there's PvP involved..?
Otherwise I'm up for Counter Strike, Warhammer, etc.
What about Serious Sam? Aren't they 16 or so players?

Will

Dec 5, 2012, 4:32:56 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I can bring a Retail Half-Life that dosn't need any setup apart from a one time cd key. So any mods,maps,cfgs etc can be thrown in a rar file along with a cd key and its all set up.

Will

Dec 5, 2012, 4:36:28 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Also, Team Fortress 2 will run on pretty much anything with the right configuration. Remember that these are not 32 player servers and there are custom configs avaliable around to get the most fps out of laptops. I have run it on a Dell Inspiron from 2002 functionally. But it would be better instead of default tf2 rules, we use competivtive tf2 rules which restrict weapons past 2010ish so the gameplay is much more about teamwork and true to TFC.

Sorry, this post went on more than  it should.

RichardR

Dec 5, 2012, 4:46:31 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Only issue with Half Life is that, if I recall correctly, though it only requires a one-time CD key, it doesn't let two people play on the same server with one CD key.

Will

Dec 5, 2012, 6:17:24 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Not on lan luckily. Happily played 4 player matches with one cd key. Guess its not WON net authed since they shut down.

RichardR

Dec 5, 2012, 6:20:19 PM12/5/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, that would explain it.

Alex Eary

Dec 6, 2012, 1:08:59 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
TF2 wont run on a netbook, seriouslly..

Ben Heaysman

Dec 6, 2012, 2:57:08 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Where are we getting the pizza from?

RichardR

Dec 6, 2012, 3:00:41 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
This needs to be agreed on, I was thinking somewhere like Dominos or Papa Johns.

Ben Heaysman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:05:09 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Okay. Which one do we get better value for money?

Ben Heaysman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:15:41 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Just looked online - It seems Papa Johns do some good offers http://www.papajohns.co.uk/offers.aspx

RichardR

Dec 6, 2012, 3:23:13 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Papa Johns seem to do the better pizzas but are expensive when ordering say, one or two.
Ordering something like five or six larger pizzas online can trigger massive discounts there.

Ben Heaysman

Dec 6, 2012, 3:31:30 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Okay, well we'll have quite a bit of money if everyone brings their £5 so we'll make a decision on the day as to how many we need

Benjamin Orrin

Dec 6, 2012, 5:39:03 PM12/6/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I'd go with Farm Pizza, they do 20 inch for £9.99

Ben Heaysman

Dec 7, 2012, 1:12:39 PM12/7/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Okay that sounds okay. Have a chat in a Skype call at some point to organize the event

Alex Cowell

Dec 7, 2012, 1:43:46 PM12/7/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
On the subject of games, what about Worms? I've got a Armageddon portable

Sam Gibson

Dec 8, 2012, 2:35:34 AM12/8/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
YES ALEX YES

Ross

Dec 9, 2012, 9:21:17 AM12/9/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Games:

- CS 1.6
- Critical Strike (In the case that not everyone can do 1.6, which I very much doubt, but it's free to play)
- Quake 3 Arena
- HL2 DM or another source title

They SHOULD all hopefully run on a netbook.

RichardR

Dec 9, 2012, 11:56:12 AM12/9/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Right, here are the final decisions made in Skype, taking in to account what was said here, in rough order:

-Discuss what happened on Monday.
-CS 1.6
--Two teams.
--Commentary by me.
--To be recorded and put on the YouTube channel.
-Papa Johns pizza.
-AR.Drone flying (with Node.js).
-Quick planning for next year.

Will

Dec 10, 2012, 8:49:00 AM12/10/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how the recording is going to be done but im planning to record everything to a demo file. Seeing as they have pretty much zero toll on preformance there is no reason why we all can't do that.

Benjamin Orrin

Dec 10, 2012, 1:25:11 PM12/10/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest Farm Pizza, 20 inch for �9.99 is cheap and we'll have more
pizza ^_^

RichardR

Dec 11, 2012, 5:54:20 PM12/11/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who came tonight, was pretty fun despite technical issues.
We're going to take a few weeks off due to Scout Hut floor repair and holidays, we'll be back in the new year, probably on the 8th but Ben and I will let everyone know once we do!