November 2012 Committee Meeting

RichardR

Nov 10, 2012, 7:10:07 PM11/10/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
It happened, not much to say apart from notes are here:
http://chelmsfordmakerspace.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Committee_Meeting_November_2012

If anything has anything they want to add or ask about, this thread is the place to do it!

David

Nov 14, 2012, 4:22:07 AM11/14/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
As raised change wiki account creation to manual - account request to be on this list

Space:building
Business use class B1 usually office around here/ B8 is storage and distribution better target for use case/searching.

Group questions

What do you want to use the space for?
How much space do you need individually?
What hardware in it other than 3D printer/ server and tens of micro-controllers/...?
How much space to we want to have to start?
What would you like to have/use a VM = Virtual Machine for?

Is the artistic group still interested in sharing or becoming a group within?

Get constituted. see:
    https://london.hackspace.org.uk/organisation/
    http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/images/a/aa/NottinghamHackspaceConstitution.pdf
Possible goto London hackspace talk with Trusties, Russ Garret is currently editing LHS Constitution. Could ask, learn before we formalize, shall I?

Run more workshops.
 Are we just making a bigish laser or can we http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/Laser_Stamps
 3d printing : When we are ready
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thief
 More Pi
 http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/FTDI-board for some of the micro-controllers and Arduino and/or Nanode

 Sensors -- power usage / pir / temperature+weather / occupancy counters http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Spacensus / product vending detect / bandwidth usage
 controlling -- remote control lights / power sockets,  system control - tv / heating / water / general home automation
 Graphing data from ^ and  making use of it.

My use cases,
Detect when there is no activity near tv and turn it off, pets: thresholds, present but still/low motion humans  - indication of imminent switch off, easy to turn on, not just walk by.
My room when dark enough, similar as ^ case actually

Alex wants to leave - Treasury and Accounts.
Richard slowly taking on additional roles to cover but others need to step up.
step up roles?
   ```digital infrastructure```?
+I Offer, hardware/networking/device to&from net comms/Linux machines/net facing stuff/  VM access arrangement with 1/or limited number of public ipv4, Just not managing Windows Server 2012 on my own, no windows server experience.
MQTT/Planet/mumble/ssh/apache or nginx php python perl mysql / bash currently prepared to or with <
Me:Make MQTT demo with verified sender/message
Me:Make net boot server a reproducible effort.

Other than lan games what do we want on a/the local network?

Offer monthly payments. -- manual cash in, then credit deductions !Paypal?
Makerspace shop -- partially/mostly vending?
Boxes of stuff at Costco. -- poll / vote by mailing list/site/other site?
Cans, crisps, etc. re selling it? NFC purchase? Item tags or Vend mech. expiry not likely but responsible'/ability.

Chores as Credit?
Services bought or rendered as Credit?

Advertising

Richard to create more posters.
relevant friends family + there workplaces + offer to business that could be interested  + shop some do notice board/ad placement + college/school? + twitter/facebook as means for some idea of interest.

Christmas

Lulz Lan Party. I'm away can loan 24pt 10/100 cisco switch enough cable for more than half of it + 3g/ethernet router for game login/DRM + could loan somewhat reasonable/suitable desktop for some game servers like minecraft Given the interest apparent.

Scout hut : Ben to request a set of keys --  gate only would resolve larger issue of being able to gather, pseudo pre-meeting, would be a good start?

Dell Server

Colocation of a server - data center in order of £180-300/month - with some reasonable presumptions on server size.
A Home / `the space` - power usage + bandwidth - one public ip - VMs have to have VM only network or pfsense to isolate from family/residents/members/guests and vhost reverse proxy websites toward Internet 'this is simple bit'. DNS CNAME to ddns target likely to get blocked from free services, Work in progress for DNS, Learning Python + my DNS registrar API - works manually needs automation. Port allocations for non http control protocols, SFTP,SSH,RDP.NX,VNC...

Projects
  - web arrangements
  • Need categories in wiki like Committee/Projects/MakerSpace{tools,parts,kits,equipment,Tasks}/???
  • Project tags - {idea, as seen there:, needs help, work in progress, it works kinda, it works - done}
  • Mail-List concept - Permission to donate - space limited is this a reasonable method?
  • In-progress and finished projects need to go on blog/wiki/planet.
  • Need Atom/RSS feeds for Planet see prototype setup http://planet.chelmsfordmakerspace.daln.org/ Tell me @2048 Twitter

Apologizes for the ramble style.

❂ David Lutton
@ david....@gmail.com
☎ 07792 560341
☏ 01245 226837

RichardR

Nov 15, 2012, 9:23:30 PM11/15/12
to chelmsford...@googlegroups.com
Wiki account creation needs to be changed to manual by Ben as he's the only one with actual wiki admin.
I might pop down to London Hackerspace and ask some questions while I'm in London picking someone up from the station next Thursday.

In regards to other groups, we've basically lost communication with all the other groups after the Chelmsford Ideas Festival ended, Changing Chelmsford went paid/invite and half the people running it went off to do other things, some outside this country.

Once the space has enough money through either redeeming the grand award or a good Pi session, I will finally buy the NFC board and some cards to start a trial run of both vending and the new membership system.

As for game servers, the for-profit thing we run, Hackzorz.eu now has a Minecraft server (Well, when Ben gets the admin mod working 100%).
What we do for the Christmas meeting still needs to be decided though.

Under web arrangements for projects, this is an area I need to sit down and work on, once my uni assignment is completed, I'm going to sit down, clean up the wiki and work out a draft process for projects to be documented, one that's pretty freeform but gets things documented to show progress.