GSoC 2017 Proposal

Andrew Kuchev

Mar 1, 2017, 1:27:35 AM3/1/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hi!

Firstly, let me thank you for making this awesome project, we are using it every day for our code base and it saves a lot of time!

Currently, I am a fourth-year Software Engineer bachelor at NRU Higher School of Economics, Russia, Perm. I am also working as a full-time java developer for two years and would like to apply for the "Flexible Suppression model" GSoC project. This project is important for our company too, because we also have some legacy code and unable to run style checks for the whole project (for now, we just calculating diffs between main branch and feature branch and checking changed files only).

I would like to discuss the project details with the project mentors. Right now, I am going to take and fix an issue.

Thanks,
Andrew

R Veach

Mar 1, 2017, 11:17:45 AM3/1/17
to checkstyle-devel
A good place to start with is http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/beginning_development.html
You can choose any approved and unassigned issue your self.

Andrew Kuchev

Mar 1, 2017, 11:44:19 AM3/1/17
to checkstyle-devel
Working on issue#3850, PR: https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/pull/3887

Going to take some other issues in the weekends.

Roman Ivanov

Mar 1, 2017, 1:06:54 PM3/1/17
to Andrew Kuchev, checkstyle-devel
Hi Andrew,

thanks for interest with our project.
Please keep fixing issues to prove your experience, as you fix more than 5 issues to prove your experience start discussion of project details.

I would like to discuss the project details with the project mentors

Please keep doing a bug fixing to let evaluate your experience and ability to work independently and reliably.
Let us know if you need guidance on next issue to resolve (to increase complexity gradually).

thanks,
Roman Ivanov

Andrew Kuchev

Mar 2, 2017, 12:24:45 AM3/2/17
to checkstyle-devel, kuch...@gmail.com
Hi Roman,

Thank you (and, of course, other team members) for tagging issues with easy / medium / hard tags! Going to take one more easy issue to become more familiar with the project and then I'd like to take a medium issue. Could you, please, suggest one?

Thanks,
Andrew

Roman Ivanov

Mar 2, 2017, 8:39:53 AM3/2/17
to checkstyle-devel, kuch...@gmail.com
Hi Andrew,

it is not really very easy issue.

As you agree, please place "I am on it" in comment. To make assignment public.

thanks,
Roman Ivanov

Andrew Kuchev

Mar 6, 2017, 10:04:55 PM3/6/17
to checkstyle-devel, kuch...@gmail.com
Just completed another issue. Could you, please assign one more issue to me? I'd like to work on at least 2 issues (along with #3309) just not to waste time while one is being reviewed.

Roman Ivanov

Mar 7, 2017, 8:42:23 PM3/7/17
to Andrew Kuchev, checkstyle-devel
Please help us to complete https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/pull/3613 , take this code and treat it as completely yours . Testing might reveal complications. This is most complicated Check in whole checkstyle.

Roman Ivanov

Mar 7, 2017, 11:44:42 PM3/7/17
to Andrew Kuchev, checkstyle-devel
Your second issue is https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/3312#issuecomment-284921518
Please do a comment to confirm assignment.

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 30, 2017, 4:01:06 AM3/30/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hi,

RE: your proposal draft. Please read this page again: https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/wiki/To-student-of-GSoC-2017
Notice, that you have to have separate proposals for each projects and add some details.

Andrew Kuchev

Mar 30, 2017, 4:32:22 AM3/30/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hi!

Thank you for the fast reply!

Split the document into two proposals, extended abstract.

Andrew Kuchev

May 2, 2017, 6:06:08 AM5/2/17
to checkstyle-devel, kuch...@gmail.com
Could you please assign me one more issue?