First experience in GSoC

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 1:39:09 PM3/15/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hello, team :)

Earlier I did not participate in such projects, but I have experience in Java development. I got training on Java Core courses. In my training repository installed Checkstyle tests and Gradle in GitHub for the control of styles of all projects.
Besides, I studied Java for Android and wrote from scratch a small application https://github.com/MikhailovOlegM/Time-Optimazer.

I read the messages of other people and noticed that you are give test tasks.
  • Can I get a similar job?
  • What tasks are now free?
  • What is the best way to contact you and where to ask questions?

I have one problem that I do not know how to begin to decide - there is knowledge, but I do not understand how to direct them to the mainstream of development.

Andrew Selkin

Mar 15, 2017, 3:03:59 PM3/15/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hi !

If you are intended to participate in GSoC you need to be a student. Are you a student?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 3:43:56 PM3/15/17
to checkstyle-devel
Of course!) Odessa Polytechnic University, 3rd year student
Need to send you a scan of the certificate from the university? Or a student record books?

Roman Ivanov

Mar 15, 2017, 3:57:50 PM3/15/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
we do NOT need documents, You will need them during registration at GSoC web site.

please make a comment in github "I am on it" to confirm assignment

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2017, 4:01:38 PM3/15/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Excuse me, yes, I know that it is necessary at registration, but I thought that you also need it.

Thanks)

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 11:24:08 AM3/17/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hmm, could you help me? I looked through the contents of the repository, but did not quite understand the task. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 17, 2017, 11:26:21 AM3/17/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
Try to read parent issue: https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/3891
It should help you

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM <mikhailo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hmm, could you help me? I looked through the contents of the repository, but did not quite understand the task. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 11:28:47 AM3/17/17
to checkstyle-devel
I need to fix the re-opening of the same object in different tests?

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 17, 2017, 11:37:33 AM3/17/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
kind of
We use code samples as input for our UTs and we want to prevent using of the same sample file (input) across tests for different checks.
It leads to unnecessary changes sometimes.
we have amount of examples in resolved PRs already, try to find something similar here: https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 11:42:07 AM3/17/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Okey, thanks
How much time do I have to complete the task? Perhaps, before Sunday I can not do

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 17, 2017, 12:18:56 PM3/17/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
I don't think you will spend more then 3h on this issue, but if you don't have free time till Sunday - that's fine.
Do not forget about GSoC timeline. More issue you solve - more chances you have to be approved.

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 5:31:26 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
I have error with import file
import com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.grammars.javadoc.JavadocLexer;
import com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.grammars.javadoc.JavadocParser;
could you help me?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 5:44:30 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
And
import com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.grammars.GeneratedJavaTokenTypes;

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 19, 2017, 6:30:46 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 7:47:29 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hm, I used IDEA
There I have to do the same thing?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 7:48:14 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
IntelliJ Idea

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 8:09:17 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
Oh, I figured it out

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 8:12:10 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 8:14:10 AM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
I realized what needs to be done
Today I will make more edits
Message has been deleted

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 2:03:39 PM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
I deleted my pool now, because i'm broke him
If I want to add a new package in resources and unit tests from one group, then how to do it correctly? I added the package, and then transfer the files there, but it shows errors
Message has been deleted

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 2:40:21 PM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
I clone your project, immediately ran the MainTest.java - all okey, next step - I ran  mvn cleam verify and it's issued 3 errors:

Results :

Tests in error:
  ConfigurationLoaderTest.testExternalEntity:324->loadConfiguration:67 » Checkstyle
  ConfigurationLoaderTest.testExternalEntityFromUri:355 » Checkstyle unable to p...
  ConfigurationLoaderTest.testExternalEntitySubdirectory:339->loadConfiguration:67 » Checkstyle

How fix this?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 5:44:53 PM3/19/17
to checkstyle-devel
Sorry, if I ask too many questions, the more I start to understand, the more nuances appear
But since I want to get to you, i have to ask :))

And last questions:
Please, tell me, what's wrong with the path to the InputSimpleLineLength.java file? I prepared a package for it, changed the path to the file, changed the name, but it give the error:
https://github.com/MikhailovOlegM/checkstyle/blob/ae08ef900b1334423d776794c30479050d4e5c58/src/test/java/com/puppycrawl/tools/checkstyle/checks/sizes/LineLengthCheckTest.java

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 20, 2017, 1:06:17 AM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hi,

Give me the link to the input file in current state.
The message means that checkstyle expected line longer than 80 chars on the 18th line, but input does not violate the check.
I'm pretty sure you have changed something in file.

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 2:10:08 AM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel
https://github.com/MikhailovOlegM/checkstyle/blob/ae08ef900b1334423d776794c30479050d4e5c58/src/test/resources/com/puppycrawl/tools/checkstyle/checks/sizes/linelength/InputSimpleLineLength.java
I only rename this file from InputSimple in InputSimpleLineLength

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 20, 2017, 6:49:04 AM3/20/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
1) I don't see actual rename. I see only creation of new file. Do any other checks use InputSimple?
2) I see the difference between InputSimple and InputSimpleLineLength. Check whitespace

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 10:58:54 AM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Oh, yes, thanks, I fixed this
But now i have last error and i don't know why I get them

понедельник, 20 марта 2017 г., 12:49:04 UTC+2 пользователь Ilja Dubinin написал:
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Roman Ivanov

Mar 20, 2017, 11:08:00 AM3/20/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
Please always share link to code and attach full log of error, not a picture.

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 11:14:18 AM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.ConfigurationLoaderTest.txt

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 11:15:44 AM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Perhaps this is due to the fact that I have the Russian word "Documents" in the file path?

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 12:11:07 PM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
I find bugs
My global path contains russian word - OLDPWD=/home/mikha/Документы/GSoC/checkstyle
I fix this and make commit
Can I get a new job after that i fix this error?

Ilja Dubinin

Mar 20, 2017, 12:23:02 PM3/20/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
We will assign new issue after you create pull request and we start code review. Until that task is not completed.

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2017, 12:46:09 PM3/20/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Yes, of course
I work now

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2017, 2:18:26 PM3/21/17
to checkstyle-devel
Can I get the next issue?

Roman Ivanov

Mar 21, 2017, 8:02:22 PM3/21/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
try https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/3504
do not forget to make comment in github

mikhailo...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 2:33:02 AM3/22/17
to checkstyle-devel, mikhailo...@gmail.com
Could you explain in more detail?

The code that is here https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/issues/3504 I need to refactor him?
Is it not part of your project?

Roman Ivanov

Mar 22, 2017, 9:21:12 AM3/22/17
to mikhailo...@gmail.com, checkstyle-devel
all questions for issue, should be asked in github to keep context.​

You need to read code of Check and explain current behavior of Check.
if current behavior is intentional - we need to update documentation of Check.

if not intentional - fix the Check.