GSoC Projects

ps

Mar 27, 2017, 10:38:14 PM3/27/17
to checkstyle-devel
Project Name: Regression Testing Tool and HTML Report Generator for Pull Request

I am interested in this project. How about linking it Jenkins using the git and github plugin, would that even be possible ? Other alternative that I could think in was coding a CI server for github and using web hooks but properly hosting the CI server for free might be an issue, right ? I don't have much experience with CI, can you point me in the right direction for this ? Is Jenkins a viable option ?
Thanks

Vladislav Lisetskii

Mar 30, 2017, 5:56:54 AM3/30/17
to checkstyle-devel
Hello,

Our main CI is Travis and we already have some tools from https://github.com/checkstyle/contribution running there (and on other CI's) https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/search?q=git+clone+https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcheckstyle%2Fcontribution&type=&utf8=%E2%9C%93 .

Please, submit draft of your proposal to https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/ . Deadline is coming.

Thanks,
Vladislav

Roman Ivanov

Mar 30, 2017, 3:40:32 PM3/30/17
to Vladislav Lisetskii, checkstyle-devel
How about linking it Jenkins using the git and github plugin, would that even be possible ?

No.

Other alternative that I could think in was coding a CI server for github and using web hooks but properly hosting the CI server for free might be an issue, right ?

TravisCI should be reused.

Is Jenkins a viable option ?

NO

 can you point me in the right direction for this ?

just make you account on Travis and try his abilities.

ps

Apr 1, 2017, 9:56:02 PM4/1/17
to checkstyle-devel
Project Name: Reconcile formatters of Eclipse , NetBeans and IntelijIdea IDEs by Checkstyle config.

Results of the project:

> create configuration for IDEs for Checkstyle project to let Checkstyle team use it and auto-format code to conform with checkstyle_check.xml file that is used by Continuous Integration.

As I understand it we are to create a configuration file for the IDE which would let us set the code formatting option of the IDE so that when we import the checkstyle project in the IDE and work on it the IDE will auto format the code for us so that the code would conform with checkstyle_check.xml.

If (I understood it correctly)
I think it can be managed in eclipse but there are existing issues with creating formatting profiles in Idea and netbeans. For example have a look at this issue:https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-61520

else
Please explain what exactly is to be accomplished

Also for the following outputs,

>create Checkstyle config that follows default Eclispe formatting + inspection rules
>create Checkstyle config that follows default IntelijIdea formatting + inspection rules
>create Checkstyle config that follows default NetBeans formatting + inspection rules

we are to create .xml config files with appropriate checks for each IDE so that we can check if the code base conforms to default code formatting options of the respective IDE. And for this the existing checks have to updated accordingly and new checks have to be added if needed.

Is my understanding correct. What else needs to be accomplished in this project apart from what I mentioned.
Thank you

Roman Ivanov

Apr 3, 2017, 12:44:22 AM4/3/17
to checkstyle-devel
> As I understand it we are to create a configuration file for the IDE which would let us set the code formatting option of the IDE so that when we import the checkstyle project in the IDE and work on it the IDE will auto format the code for us so that the code would conform with

yes, but not not with checkstyle_check.xml but with special config that need to be created.

In short: you open default IDE , install checkstyle plugin , activate special config (that need to be created) and IDE never conflicting with checkstyle.

there are bunch of problems with indentations, imports order, .....

> we are to create .xml config files with appropriate checks for each IDE so that we can check if the code base conforms to default code formatting options of the respective IDE. And for this the existing checks have to updated accordingly and new checks have to be added if needed.

yes.