DiamondMinds, RPi and GitHub

Nate Walker

Feb 16, 2014, 5:28:22 PM2/16/14
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Just thought this one might be of interest to those who have been working on the printers.

I can drop in a Raspberry Pi and USB webcam to use, if anyone would like to tackle this task on Sunday?

If there is the interest we can hook up 3 of the rPis semi-permanently for this as well.

Nate

On Monday, 17 February 2014 11:14:57 UTC+13, Bart van der Wee wrote:
Good morning DM'ers,

There are two Github repositories for the two current models of DiamondMind 3d Printers, they can be found here:
https://github.com/DiamondMind3DPrinters

I have just updated both with the details on how to attach a Raspberry Pi and utilise OctoPrint to print via .gcode files uploaded via it's web interface. It also has the ability, via an attached USB video camera, to record a time-lapse of the build (I recommend a photo at every z-axis change for less epilepsy inducing timelapses).

The following is a quick outline of the steps I went through to get it up and running:
  • Installed the OctoPi distribution onto a shiny new Sandisk 8GB SD Card.
  • Plugged it into a spare RPi, along with USB hub, network cable, keyboard, mouse, DiamondMind printer and MS LifeCam 5000.

  • Powered it on, configured the Raspbian side of things - expand FS, secure "pi" password, start X on boot...
  • Booted to desktop and wondered what was going on - nothing to see here except for a standard Raspbian desktop/install - checked what IP address was and made a note of this.
  • Jumped on a PC - http://octopi.local didn't work so used the RPi's IP address instead...
  • Have printed a couple of things using OctoPrint without a glitch, workflow is a little different:
  1. Load .stl into Repetier
  2. Place in desired location.
  3. Slice with desired settings
  4. Save the generated GCode - all my .stl files are on a Google Drive shared folder - one thing to mention here, printing this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106822 - you will need to remove the "home x-axis" {G28 X0  ; home X axis} at the very end with any object that is higher than 70mm - as the carriage is not able to 'home' due to the constraints of the side holes.
  5. Browse to OctoPrint IP - upload Gcode
  6. "Load and Print"

Happy Pi Printing,

Bart

Jack Grigg

Feb 16, 2014, 5:36:13 PM2/16/14
to chch...@googlegroups.com

I'm keen :)

Jack

On 17/02/14 11:28, Nate Walker wrote:
> Just thought this one might be of interest to those who have been
> working on the printers.
>
> I can drop in a Raspberry Pi and USB webcam to use, if anyone would
> like to tackle this task on Sunday?
>
> If there is the interest we can hook up 3 of the rPis
> semi-permanently for this as well.
>
> Nate
>

> On Monday, 17 February 2014 11:14:57 UTC+13, Bart van der Wee
> wrote:
>
> Good morning DM'ers,
>

> There are two Github repositories for the two current models of
> DiamondMind 3d Printers, they can be found here:
> https://github.com/DiamondMind3DPrinters
> <https://github.com/DiamondMind3DPrinters>
>
> I have just updated both with the details on how to attach a
> Raspberry Pi and utilise OctoPrint to print via .gcode files
> uploaded via it's web interface. It also has the ability, via an
> attached USB video camera, to record a time-lapse of the build (I
> recommend a photo at every z-axis change for less epilepsy
> inducing timelapses).
>
> The following is a quick outline of the steps I went through to
> get it up and running:
>
> * Installed the OctoPi distribution onto a shiny new Sandisk 8GB SD
> Card. * Plugged it into a spare RPi, along with USB hub, network
> cable, keyboard, mouse, DiamondMind printer and MS LifeCam 5000. *
>
> * Powered it on, configured the Raspbian side of things - expand
> FS, secure "pi" password, start X on boot... * Booted to desktop
> and wondered what was going on - nothing to see here except for a
> standard Raspbian desktop/install - checked what IP address was and
> made a note of this. * Jumped on a PC - http://octopi.local didn't
> work so used the RPi's IP address instead... * Have printed a
> couple of things using OctoPrint without a glitch, workflow is a
> little different:
>
> 1. Load .stl into Repetier 2. Place in desired location. 3. Slice
> with desired settings 4. Save the generated GCode - all my .stl
> files are on a Google Drive shared folder - one thing to mention
> here, printing this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106822
> <http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106822> - you will need to remove
> the "home x-axis" {G28 X0 ; home X axis} at the very end with any
> object that is higher than 70mm - as the carriage is not able to
> 'home' due to the constraints of the side holes. 5. Browse to
> OctoPrint IP - upload Gcode 6. "Load and Print"
>
> * Might need to play around with printer settings within OctoPrint
> but so far the built-in defaults work fine. *
> https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Supported-Printers
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "The Foundation" group. To unsubscribe from this
> group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> chchspace+...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send
> an email to chch...@googlegroups.com. Visit this group at
> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

kiwinewt

Mar 13, 2014, 9:36:57 PM3/13/14
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Jack,
I'm hoping to call in on Sunday for a bit, weather permitting.
If not then I will have to make it the Sunday afterwards.
Nate

Jack Grigg

Mar 15, 2014, 7:42:22 PM3/15/14
to chch...@googlegroups.com