Project Night on Wednesdays // 25 Nov 2015

Marek Kuziel

Nov 25, 2015, 9:24:23 PM11/25/15
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Here is a summary from yesterday's `Project Night` session.

3D Printing

Winston worked on a bracket replacement for the `i3` printer. PLA part melted on a hot day (not kidding). Neil printed a new part from ABS.

Neil was printing a sample chess figure. STL obtained via a 3D scanner that Neil is building. Good ol' extrusion-stopped-in-the-middle-of-the-print issue ended up the print.

I worked on PID tuning of `DMvII #71` following http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning . `M500` GCode command didn't work so I ended up getting the `DMvII #71` setup files from Neil and uploaded the new configuration for the PID via Arduino IDE. Then I spent a lot of time releveling and testing the new setup without much success. The new PID setup wassn't stable enough. Callum suggested  going with PI setup instead of PID to test the difference. New hot end setup still requires further investigation and fiddling.

Music

Quentin worked on a prototype LFO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_oscillation). I reckon we should explore making of musical instruments a bit further. Espcially considering the success of building theremins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin) last year.

Other Projects

Neil (the other one) worked on getting his Cubietruck v2 working. AFAIK, HDMI was misbehaving, or something along those lines.

Callum continued work on his CNC mill control panel.

Misc

We had a couple of "first timers" Chris and Dave joining us. Couple of gold coin donations happened, too. We started a bit late (6.45pm), because it was too hot and the beers downstairs had to be finished. To prevent any confusion in the future (sorry again Dave!), if we aren't upstairs, look for us at one of the tables downstairs at the pub.

It was a really nice session, lot of progress made, beers enjoyed and good chat about 3D printing/scanning et al.

--Marek

Andrew Starr

Nov 26, 2015, 12:21:08 AM11/26/15
to The Foundation
Thanks for the summary Marek, I wanted to be there but family stuff prevented me, so it's good to be 'up to speed'. I'll see you next week!

Quentin McDonald

Nov 29, 2015, 4:25:49 PM11/29/15
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Thanks Marek for this excellent summary - you really managed to capture the buzz that was happening on the night. I had my doubts about Wednesday nights but I can see it's working a lot better than Sundays. If anybody hasn't checked it out yet they should come along!

Music

Quentin worked on a prototype LFO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_oscillation). I reckon we should explore making of musical instruments a bit further. Espcially considering the success of building theremins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin) last year.

And the breadboard prototype I did on Wednesday actually works. Anybody who's curious about what it sounds like here's a small sample of the pseudo-random  "Psycho LFO" modulating a filter on an A-drone:

"Psycho" perhaps after how you feel after listening?

Quentin

ps - I forgot to hand in my $2. Perhaps some kind of visual reminder might help? (I'm thinking a begging bowl...)

Andrew Starr

Nov 29, 2015, 5:20:30 PM11/29/15
to The Foundation
Add a breath velocity sensor and you'll have a sweet electric didgeridoo :)

Marek Kuziel

Nov 29, 2015, 11:27:56 PM11/29/15
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Quentin!

Initially I just wanted to make notes/diary about progress on DMvII #71 printer, but in the end I ended up with a session summary, because it made more sense that way.

I *love* the sound of the PsychoLFO!! Are you going to pusblish it anywhere ie. so I can build one myself? Or is it published somewhere? Link?

Based on Andrew's comment I did a quick search and found this sensor: www.dx.com/p/stainless-steel-variable-pump-water-air-pressure-sensor-silver-black-dc-8-16v-390131

I wonder if it would be suitable for an electronic didgeridoo variant of the LFO.

Re gold coin donations etc. It's first Wednesday of the month this week, so let's have a committee catchup on Wednesday and discuss the "boring" stuff such as monies, reimbursements, paperwork, etc. Briefly, of course :-)

Marek

Quentin McDonald

Nov 30, 2015, 1:30:45 AM11/30/15
to chch...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I *love* the sound of the PsychoLFO!! Are you going to pusblish it anywhere ie. so I can build one myself? Or is it published somewhere? Link?

It's based on Ken Stone's design

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/psycho_lfo.html

It's not exactly clear to me what the connection with model railways is but apparently there is one.

I've used slightly different values and a different Glide circuit to one he shows here.

The bad news is you need a few more modules to get the sound I generated - a couple of audio frequency voltage controlled oscillators to generate the basic tone as well as a voltage controlled filter and it's the latter the LFO was modulating to give the "chattering" quality to the basic drone. At some point a hollowed out log becomes a bit easier...

> Based on Andrew's comment I did a quick search and found this sensor: www.dx.com/p/stainless-steel-variable-pump-water-air-pressure-sensor-silver-black-dc-8-16v-390131
>
> I wonder if it would be suitable for an electronic didgeridoo variant of the LFO.

Yeah, I don't know. There definitely are breath sensors in existence because there are electronic wind instruments (like Clarinets). In this case I don't really have much sense of pressures - could you generate 2.5 MPa by breath alone? That's something like 25 atmospheres I think.

Somehow I can never quite look at a didgeridoo quite the same way after Rolf...

On my long term list of things to build is a "Talk Box" (think Peter Frampton if anybody is old enough to remember him):

I think somehow the same principal as a didgeridoo because it's the mouth and throat generating the modulating effect.

> Re gold coin donations etc. It's first Wednesday of the month this week, so let's have a committee catchup on Wednesday and discuss the "boring" stuff such as monies, reimbursements, paperwork, etc. Briefly, of course :-)

Cool, I actually wasn't going to come but since it's the last Wednesday I'm able to until February I think I'll at least stop by.

Quentin