ChattLab reboot

Jeff Johnson

Sep 12, 2016, 10:07:34 PM9/12/16
to Chattlab Chattanooga
Hi all.

As many of you know, we had to shut down ChattLab due to a collection of issues, losing our lease being the biggest of them.

Jason and I have found an individual that has some warehouse space that's located close to North Chatt, Downtown and Signal.  (located here:  https://goo.gl/maps/FsDikyHLjkq )   He has expressed interest in starting a makerspace but doesn't know what the next steps are.   As we try to figure those steps out, I thought I would reach out to the former maker community in Chattanooga to see if there is still interest in this club.

The space this guy has is pretty sweet.  About 10 times larger than the St Elmo location, and I think the rent will be very fair.  There are even some heavy duty tools there already. (can you say 8 inch jointer?)

We are looking for organizers as much as we are members.  If you would rather just be a member, that's fine.  But if you want to join those of us that are trying to get this started, please let us know.  Either way, please reply to this group if you have any kind of interest.

Thanks.
Jeff

James B

Sep 13, 2016, 2:03:31 AM9/13/16
to chattlab-list
I'm up in Knoxville but will gladly pledge a monthly donation once you all get started, at least recurring a few months to help boost about a +1 to membership dues coming in.

Jeff Johnson

Sep 13, 2016, 8:20:31 AM9/13/16
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James, that's very generous.  I need to get up there to see your new space. I hear it's pretty sweet.

Jennifer Lawson

Sep 16, 2016, 3:59:10 PM9/16/16
to Chattlab Chattanooga
I have an interest, and I'm happy to spread the word to anyone I know who might be interested as well.

I'm not sure what I might be able to contribute as far as organizing. I've never had the luxury of being involved in a maker group so I don't know what kinda of skill sets you're looking for. I've got common sense and I'm a Jill of many trades. Depending on what the focus is I might be able to contribute.

Jeff Johnson

Sep 16, 2016, 8:48:07 PM9/16/16
to chattl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jennifer, thanks for your interest.  All input is welcome!  I'll add you to our "reboot" email group and you can see the comments that are getting passed around.  We just started it, so you haven't missed much.  We're up to 11 people in our pilot group so far.  You make a dozen.  :-)

Welcome to the team.

Jeff