Let's make some stuff on Saturday...

Jeff Johnson

Dec 8, 2016, 4:10:31 PM12/8/16
to chattlab...@googlegroups.com, chattl...@googlegroups.com
In particular, walls and work benches.

This Saturday, I'm going to be at the space around 1pm until evening working on our space buildout.

We'll essentially be knocking down some walls and putting up new ones.

If there's time, I'd like to build a bench or two.

If you're free and want to help, swing by the BDC Saturday afternoon.

Michael Grilo

Dec 9, 2016, 2:04:53 PM12/9/16
to Jeff Johnson, chattl...@googlegroups.com, Chattlab-Members
I get off at 6, so I might be able to help out in the evening.

Jason Brown

Dec 9, 2016, 3:46:18 PM12/9/16
to chattl...@googlegroups.com, Chattlab-Members
Currently it's looking like I won't be able to make it until about 3:30 or 4:00.

Jeff Johnson

Dec 10, 2016, 8:34:27 AM12/10/16
to Dave Alverson, chattlab...@googlegroups.com, chattl...@googlegroups.com
Good info Dave.  I like the idea of the unistrut for flexibility.  I love that stuff.  One of your links showed the yellow curled air hose, which you see in some workshops.  I wonder how hard it would be to run lines to be able to have those kind of drops for a bench.  It could be used for blowing or just a brad nailer (for non-electronic).  These benches would probably serve multiple needs.  Though, it might be nice to have one that is just dedicated to the best soldering iron, etc.  Just my 2 cents.  I'm not married to the idea.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Dave Alverson <dave.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll try and stop by some time tomorrow, but I'll have my son and won't be able to stay too long.

You asked about an electronics workbench. Here is what I have at home (I did not buy this new):
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2043/Packing-Tables/Anti-Static-Work-Bench-60-x-30-

This is what I outfitted our lab at work with. It's very configurable but also pricey:
http://www.listaintl.com/workstations-workbenches/modular-arlink-products/overview

The work surface on my bench is 60"x30" and it has a shelf that's 12"x30". If you are building one, I would recommend increasing the work surface to 72"x36". I searched eBay for some anti-static mats and they are available for around $40.00 or less. Also, the bench I have uses standard Uni-strut for the uprights which allows you to adjust the shelf and light positions. It's nice because you can attach all kinds of things (like bin rails and power strips) to the uprights with standard hardware that's available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

These work benches do show up at surplus auctions from time to time, but not that often. I found mine listed on Craigslist by a surplus wholesaler outside Atlanta. We can collectively try and keep an eye out for them and may be able to pick a couple up fairly cheap.

Jeff Johnson

Dec 10, 2016, 8:37:43 AM12/10/16
to Jason Brown, chattl...@googlegroups.com, Chattlab-Members
all good.  BTW, I did some initial demo yesterday when I dropped of a larger air compressor and floor dolly.  They are 2x6 walls.

I'm thinking once we take down the drywall, we may just cut the wall and slide it over and re-use it.  We can talk once we get some additional people with opinions.

I did find the fuse for that wall outlet (in the black room) and removed the outlet.

20161209_163142.jpg

Jeff Johnson

Dec 10, 2016, 1:04:55 PM12/10/16
to Lee Walker, chattl...@googlegroups.com, chattlab...@googlegroups.com, Dave Alverson

On Dec 10, 2016 11:18 AM, "Lee Walker" <l...@codejourneymen.com> wrote:
It's my son's birthday today.
He's 4 with a big party this afternoon.
Don't think I can make it today to help.

On Dec 10, 2016 10:02 AM, "Dave Alverson" <dave.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I definitely think we should get an air line over to the work bench. I have one at work and use it frequently.

One more note about dimensions. The 12" deep shelf is really not sized for the old school test equipment. It would probably be better to increase that to 14-16" deep.

I'm not so sure about using the bench for woodworking also. If we keep an anti-static mat, soldering irons and test equipment on the bench, that stuff can get torn up pretty easy if someone gets carried away. Just my two cents.

20161210_130426.jpg

Jeff Johnson

Dec 10, 2016, 1:11:07 PM12/10/16
to Lee Walker, chattl...@googlegroups.com, chattlab...@googlegroups.com, Dave Alverson
If anyone is coming and has a hammer drill please bring

Jason Brown

Dec 10, 2016, 2:03:39 PM12/10/16
to Jeff Johnson, Lee Walker, chattl...@googlegroups.com, chattlab...@googlegroups.com, Dave Alverson
I can, but I can't get there until around 4:00pm

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chattlab-membe...@googlegroups.com.

Jeff Johnson

Dec 10, 2016, 2:05:30 PM12/10/16