Dust Sentry alternative?

Jeff Johnson

Jul 9, 2017, 10:27:42 AM7/9/17
to chattlab...@googlegroups.com, chattlab-list
Oneida sells a "Dust Sentry" which will put on a warning light when your sawdust gets to a certain level (google it).  It costs $150.  The reason it's important to have, is that with our current dust system, if the bin gets too high, all the dust clogs up our pricey filter.

I've been researching sensors that would work with an Arduino for this, but most of them are IR, and I don't know if they'd work in an environment that dust might block the receiver.

If you know of a better type of sensor that would do this, let me know.  If you want to make one cheaply, you'd make a killing selling it to the woodworkers out there compared to the $150 Dust Sentry.

Jeff Johnson

Jul 9, 2017, 10:34:07 AM7/9/17
to chattlab...@googlegroups.com, chattlab-list
FYI, here's the off the shelf product I spoke of:  https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXB999110B

Jeff Johnson

Jul 9, 2017, 12:32:24 PM7/9/17
to Michael Rowland, chattlab...@googlegroups.com, chattlab-list
Yeah, A pressure sensor might do the trick too, though it's possible you might get a false positive when the blower is running and it's pushing air down.  Of course, a distance sensor of the sawdust might have the same issue.

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Michael Rowland <mic...@escapeexperiencechattanooga.com> wrote:
How about a weight or pressure sensor under the whole unit?  I don't know how much a big bag of sawdust weighs, but you could play with it until it got close enough, and program an arduino to shut the power down (use a relay) if the weight or pressure got over a certain limit.

Just brainstorming out-loud.

Michael R.

Escape Experience Chattanooga

Michael Rowland

michael@escapeexperiencechattanooga.com

Escape Experience Chattanooga
(423) 551-3306
1800 Rossville Avenue, Suite 1Chattanooga, TN 37408
escapeexperiencechattanooga.com

Twitter Facebook Instagram Youtube Flickr TripAdvisor