Chaplin for mobile?

Giorgos Giannoutsos

Jun 28, 2013, 9:53:29 AM6/28/13
to chapl...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I'd like to ask if you would recommend Chaplin for mobile web app.

Delicious serves their full app for mobile as well and it feels pretty fine.

Are there any issues or things to consider though?

Thank you in advance,

Giorgos

Mathias Schäfer

Jun 28, 2013, 10:43:48 AM6/28/13
to chapl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

The basic stuff should work nicely on mobile browsers. The typical stack
is very heavy though (Require.js/Almond.js, jQuery, Underscore,
Backbone, Chaplin�). If the mobile site isn�t as complex as the full
app, a plain jQuery or Backbone app without a lot of overhead would load
faster I guess.

Some people use Zepto.js instead of jQuery with Chaplin, which should
work for most cases. We don�t test every release of Chaplin with Zepto,
but we recently fixed some Zepto issues (e.g.
https://github.com/chaplinjs/chaplin/issues/603). We�re planning to
perform more Zepto testing in the future. Some Chaplin features rely on
jQuery.Deferred and jQuery $.ajax() promises, so the specs will fail on
those tests, of course.

Also, Chaplin.Layout listens for click events to track link activation.
On mobile, it would be better to use touch event for a quicker UI
response without the notorious 300ms delay.

Regards,
Mathias