Rabbeinu's Position on Shnayim Mikra ve'Echad Targum

Jeremy Baran

May 26, 2013, 7:27:55 PM5/26/13
to chabura
I have heard Rav Schachter say that one can fulfill the Targum part of the obligation by reading Aryeh Kaplan's "the Living Torah" translation.  I have two questions on Rabbeinu's position.

1- Is it necessary to read the footnotes, or not? (the footnotes are extensive and deal with nuances in the translation of difficult words)

2- Would another English translation (Artscroll, etc..) also suffice?

While I have heard speculation regarding the second question, I wanted verify if anyone knows Rabbeinu's exact position on these matters (or if someone would be willing to clarify these questions with Rabbeinu).

Jacob Lewin

May 28, 2013, 12:27:51 AM5/28/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Logically, artscroll's translation is based off rashi's commentary so it should suffice. i believe r'balanson paskened that for some shaalvim twerp a decade ago. probably can still be relied upon...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iChabura" group.