The cloud and fire- a line change, or playing on the same line?

yossi goldin

May 27, 2013, 8:05:51 AM5/27/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Hello all-

  Something occurred to me this past Shabbos as I was going over the parsha. I have always thought all these years that the cloud leading BY and the fire were alternating, that the cloud alone led them during the day, and the fire alone led them during the night. We could almost envision a "changing of the guard" every morning and evening when one would leave as the other took over.
   However, it nows seems to me to be meduyak in the pesukim (particularly 9:15-16) that in fact that the cloud was really ALWAYS there, just that the fire as well was there at night. If you look closely, it never says that the cloud was there only during the day- even in places where it mentions the fire "at night", and it would have made sense to mention that the cloud was there in the morning, it simply says that the cloud was there. We might even be able to suggest that the fire itself didnt lead BY at night, it simply provided light so that BY could see the cloud at night. But the cloud was what led BY all the time. This makes sense as well considering that the Torah describes in detail how the cloud would show BY when to travel and when to rest- implying that it alone guided BY in their travels.
   Anyone have any thoughts on this- any sources supporting or rejecting this? If its correct, what would be the symbolism of this setup?

Ezra Goldschmiedt

May 27, 2013, 9:30:46 AM5/27/13
to Ichabura
Ramban to 9:19 says (according to Rabbi Chavel's notes; it's not explicit) that travels sometimes began at night. 9:21, if you look at it carefully, implies this. If you put that idea together with your suggestion that the cloud always led the travels, then you would have to come to the conclusion that the fire worked together with the cloud at the same time.

The cloud seems to be the representation of the Shechinah - it's the same one that covers the Mishkan. I don't know of any such description for the fire. That being the case, the mechanics you suggest could show that G-d never leaves us, even during times of darkness. You may need some help finding Him, but He's there.

- Ezra

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iChabura" group.