Ceylon for mathematics

Nikolay Rychkov

Jul 3, 2015, 1:02:52 PM7/3/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Our company is hiring mathematics and programmers to work with Ceylon. Totally 10 persons. Now we have hired 2 mathematics. They have some experience with C and matlab. They are very clever unfortunately is not able to understand Ceylon advanced syntax and our work is blocked. I think the solution could be not to teach newbies by entire Ceylon tour, but make short subset of Ceylon tour, that covers just simplest constructions, but that allows to begin program immediately.

Do you have such kind of lessons?
Do you have any help to produce docbook instructions in style of Ceylon tour?

Gavin King

Jul 3, 2015, 2:12:43 PM7/3/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
No, not really, but I agree that it would be interesting to have a
tutorial that just covers: functions, values, basic types, operators,
control structures, streams, tuples and sequences, arrays,
comprehensions, and modularity, without getting into
classes/interfaces, inheritance, generics, or the metamodel.

That's a basic standalone subset of the language that you can use to
write lots of interesting programs with.

The Ceylon tour isn't written in docbook, by the way; it's written in markdown.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-users/89db588a-1bbd-4794-9605-31bbff88ca65%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin King
ga...@ceylon-lang.org
http://profiles.google.com/gavin.king
http://ceylon-lang.org
http://hibernate.org
http://seamframework.org

Nikolay Rychkov

Jul 3, 2015, 2:26:12 PM7/3/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Where are the sources? How to compile markdown to nice html?
I will try to make the thin version of a tour by myself.

Do you use docbook for documentation?

Lucas Werkmeister

Jul 3, 2015, 2:28:11 PM7/3/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
The tour sources are in https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-lang.org/tree/master/documentation/1.1/tour (the rest of the website is mostly Markdown too), and I believe the Markdown is converted by the Awestruct server when it starts up. See the repository README on how to run Awestruct.

Nikolay Rychkov

Jul 3, 2015, 2:43:45 PM7/3/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
To tell the truth I don't understand what to do with source code. How to make just something like a tour that will be able to include to main site? Would you be able to help with initial config?

Gavin King

Jul 4, 2015, 2:00:18 PM7/4/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Nikolay all the sources for the website are here:

https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-lang.org/

And the awestruct build is responsible for compiling markdown.

I use docbook for the Ceylon *spec*, but not for the docs.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Nikolay Rychkov
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-users/d9a62e9d-4335-4171-bebd-05a4138c1cb8%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin King

Jul 4, 2015, 2:02:26 PM7/4/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Just write the markdown and put it in a directory of the website. It's
really as simple as that.

Then run "rake preview" to see the results.

There's no additional special step required.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 8:43 PM, Nikolay Rychkov
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-users/af0ecea9-7e1e-4ac5-81ca-1b4ca3a61b25%40googlegroups.com.

Philippe Lhoste

Jul 6, 2015, 6:36:16 AM7/6/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, 3 July 2015 20:26:12 UTC+2, Nikolay Rychkov wrote:
Where are the sources? How to compile markdown to nice html?
I will try to make the thin version of a tour by myself.

A little search can lead you to a ton of utilities, libraries or tools to convert Markdown to HTML.
It depends on your needs (on the fly or static generation), your preferred languages (tools in Python, Ruby, C++, Java, JS, whatever) or system.
Should be trivial to do.