Ceylon, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, Emacs, and Gradle.

Russel Winder

Jun 15, 2015, 8:37:28 AM6/15/15
to Ceylon Users
Hi,

Ceylon code looks unreadable in Eclipse with the dark mode, unless I am
doing something wrong. Does anyone use Eclipse dark mode for the Ceylon
IDE?

IntelliJ IDEA with dark mode looks much nicer for Ceylon projects, but
I cannot get anything to compile. I have posted an issue on the GitHub,
but if anyone has any idea about getting IntelliJ IDEA to compile
Ceylon projects…

Is anyone out there using Emacs and have an Emacs ceylon-mode?

Is anyone out there trying to create a Gradle plugin for compiling
Ceylon code?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

Stephane Epardaud

Jun 15, 2015, 9:42:27 AM6/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I don't use Emacs anymore, so I don't have an Emacs mode. But we have a Vim mode ;) I've never tried the dark mode, I didn't even know there was one. I just tried it five minutes ago and it's still applying the theme :(

Stephane Epardaud

Jun 15, 2015, 9:45:08 AM6/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
OK, after a restart, I agree our fonts are too dark, but DAMN the JDT fonts are ugly… Can you file an issue at https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-ide-eclipse/issues/new about this please?

As for the Gradle plugin, many people have reportedly started but we've never seen a finished version.

On 15 June 2015 at 15:42, Stephane Epardaud <stephane...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't use Emacs anymore, so I don't have an Emacs mode. But we have a Vim mode ;) I've never tried the dark mode, I didn't even know there was one. I just tried it five minutes ago and it's still applying the theme :(

--
Stéphane Épardaud

John Vasileff

Jun 15, 2015, 10:46:25 AM6/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Russel,

I have the early beginnings of a plugin at

https://github.com/jvasileff/csm-petstore/tree/master/buildSrc/src/main/groovy/com/vasileff/ceylon/gradle
https://github.com/jvasileff/csm-petstore/blob/master/build.gradle

My idea is:

1) Decide on `/source` or `/src/main/ceylon` (or both), and test directory org
2) One or more source directories per task
3) One output directory per task (single invocation of `ceylon compile`. Each output directory is of course a module repository.
4) “Dependency” for Ceylon == module repository (~/.ceylon/repo, Herd, directories from #3, etc.)
5) Tasks inherit the "dependencies" of task’s they depend on
6) If possible, disable all default repository locations by default

On #4, the observation is that the finest granularity of a dependency for Ceylon is a module repository, rather than something like a class file, jar file, or maven module. The build system is pretty much unaware of and has no control over individual modules and versions.

I found item #3 to be important to help gradle’s up-to-date analysis. It also helps to keep things isolated for #4.

As you can see, my last work on this was 3 months ago...

John

Lucas Werkmeister

Jun 15, 2015, 11:44:59 AM6/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
That issue already exists: https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-ide-eclipse/issues/1001

I’m actually assigned to it, but I didn’t get anywhere. I have no idea how to detect whether we’re in the dark theme, and only apply certain color definitions then.

Stephane Epardaud

Jun 15, 2015, 12:09:59 PM6/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Check how JDT does it? ;)