Cloning Herd

Luke deGruchy

May 24, 2015, 9:21:35 PM5/24/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I've attempted to clone ceylon-herd following all the instructions in the README on the github project page.   I was able to make my user admin, access the site over http from another computer on my network, and publish a module that doesn't import any other module.

Where I've had problems is in publish a module that imports another module outside of my Herd instance, there's an error with my upload.  It complains that the module can't be found in my repo.   In this case, I tried to import ceylon.collection/1.1.0.   There's a link to Resolve From Maven Central, which fails.  This is what I see in the Play output:

Looking up module in Maven Central at: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ceylon/collection/1.1.0/collection-1.1.0.jar.

Is the idea that I need to republish those modules onto my repo, or is there some configuration step that I'm missing (after RTFA and Googling, I'm not able to find it).

Luke deGruchy

Jun 19, 2015, 7:52:48 AM6/19/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, but I'm going to bump this.   I'm just wondering if this is a missing feature or I need to configure something.

Stephane Epardaud

Jul 7, 2015, 5:20:29 PM7/7/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Hi, and dreadfully sorry for the late answer, every time I remember to answer I'm away from the computer and forget when I'm in front of it.
So yeah, right now private Herd deployments can't delegate to other Ceylon repos, and that's fine for the main repo, but frankly lame for other repos, like your deployment. We should definitely add that feature, and if you want to try to add I can help :)

Stéphane Épardaud

Luke deGruchy

Jul 8, 2015, 8:13:07 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

No problem on the late reply.  I know how busy you guys are.

What's the open issue for this?   Is it https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-herd/issues/196 ?

What would be the general approach to implementing this (cloning the main repo, forwarding requests to it, etc)? How difficult would be this be to implement, what's the scale of the effort involved?

I log into gitter once in a while so you might be able to catch me there.

Stephane Epardaud

Jul 8, 2015, 9:17:04 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Yes that's the issue. I figure it's more or less a copy of the current "resolve from Maven" upload feature, so it should be easy.

Stéphane Épardaud

Tako Schotanus

Jul 8, 2015, 9:29:03 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Well it would probably be more than that, right?
I mean the Maven support is only used when uploading a new module, while this could be useful also for someone trying to use a module that's not (currently) available in the repository but can be found in other, proxies, repositories. It would then function like a kind of cache for those repositories.

-Tako

Stephane Epardaud

Jul 8, 2015, 9:38:32 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I don't see why we'd have to proxy other repos. The users can do that, and indeed Herd is always included so anything not resolved from your own Herd instance will be resolved from the main one.

Stéphane Épardaud

Stephane Epardaud

Jul 8, 2015, 9:39:37 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I mean, there are various well known proxies that can be used for caching if that's what you want… I don't see why Herd should try to reinvent caching.
--
Stéphane Épardaud

Tako Schotanus

Jul 8, 2015, 9:48:58 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
The users can do that, and indeed Herd is always included so anything not resolved from your own Herd instance will be resolved from the main one.

Not everybody has direct internet access, in fact I've worked on several projects where the client didn't allow any direct external connections (Banks are especially prone to do that) and they'd install their own Maven servers that would then proxy to the official external Maven repo.

It also means that you can configure all the needed (third-party) repos in one place and everybody can use them automatically without having to know anything about them.

I mean, there are various well known proxies that can be used for caching if that's what you want… I don't see why Herd should try to reinvent caching.

If you're positive that a normal proxy (let's say Apache) can do all what I described above okay, but the Maven server implementations that I know of all include the option to proxy to external servers.

-Tako

Stephane Epardaud

Jul 8, 2015, 10:04:17 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Let's put it this way: it's trivial to add support for what Luke needs. Turning Herd into a proxy is not trivial at all, and is redundant with the job of proxies in most cases, so I really hope he does not need that ;)

Stéphane Épardaud

Luke deGruchy

Jul 8, 2015, 11:16:49 AM7/8/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Personally, my needs are very simple.  I would like to publish modules from my workstation to a Herd repository on a FreeBSD server.  On the server I could then run a simple webapp using modules common to my local network.

Tako's point about corporations using proxies is valid insofar as promoting the Ceylon ecosystem to the enterprise, but that could that not simply be captured by another github issue?