Binary magnitudes for numeric literals

Arsenii A.

Jul 14, 2015, 11:26:56 PM7/14/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Wouldn’t it be nice to allow numeric literals like 512Ki or 4Gi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix) in some future version of Ceylon?

Gavin King

Jul 15, 2015, 6:25:27 AM7/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
We could easily support that, but do you have a specific usecase in
mind? I can't particularly think of anywhere this would be useful.

Open a feature request in ceylon-spec if you like...
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-users/0e3c9110-9b87-4531-b802-399498c5123e%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin King
ga...@ceylon-lang.org
http://profiles.google.com/gavin.king
http://ceylon-lang.org
http://hibernate.org
http://seamframework.org

Arsenii A.

Jul 15, 2015, 9:40:11 AM7/15/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
You’re right, by now I can’t think up a reasonable use case. One could write

Integer someHardcodedOrDefaultLengthLimit = 3Mi;

but that default value is pretty unnatural on its own (why not 30571111 instead?)…

OK, if I come up with something better, I’ll make a feature request.