Reactive programming support

Andrew Miller

Apr 4, 2015, 12:11:27 PM4/4/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Does Ceylon have any built-in support for reactive programming? Or do we still need to use libraries?

Philippe Lhoste

Apr 7, 2015, 4:35:18 AM4/7/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 4 April 2015 18:11:27 UTC+2, Andrew Miller wrote:
Hello,
Does Ceylon have any built-in support for reactive programming? Or do we still need to use libraries?

1) No (AFAIK).
2) Probably, yes. RxJava might be an interesting starting point.

I am reading lot of stuff about reactive programming lately, so this topic interests me too. Having a simple native (Ceylon) reactive library would be interesting. We already have the base functional methods (map, filter, etc.), so it shouldn't be too hard to build something on this solid base. It should be pure Ceylon, so that we can use it both in Java and in JavaScript.

Tako Schotanus

Apr 7, 2015, 4:59:49 AM4/7/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Like Philippe say we don't have anything right now.
But incidentally I've been looking at http://reactivex.io/ these last couple of days and have made a start with implementing the basic building blocks that reactive programming needs: the Observable / Observer interfaces.
I'm just looking at those basics because:
 a) I don't have the time to do a full port of Rx to Ceylon, I'll leave that to someone else
 b) I want those basics to be available in the language module (like Iterable/Iterator) so modules can provide data sources without having to depend on the entire RxCeylon module

I'm modeling those basics as much as possible on Rx to make sure a future RxCeylon project will have the least possible problems in integrating with it.

-Tako

Philippe Lhoste

Apr 7, 2015, 5:26:29 AM4/7/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com, ta...@codejive.org
I very vaguely plan to do some port to Ceylon, although I would target a simpler API, like the Kefir one.
"Vaguely" because of lack of time, of course.
If you commit Observable / Observer, I would base my vaporware on them, of course. Perhaps it would allow interoperability of different implementations of the paradigm (if somebody tackle the more ambitious Rx library).

Some data:
Kefir.js: 61 KB, min: 34 KB
Bacon.js: 90 KB, min: 42 KB
RX.js: 185 KB, min: 57 KB

Luke deGruchy

Apr 7, 2015, 10:47:37 AM4/7/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com, ta...@codejive.org
Interesting that RxJava support a bunch of other JVM languages, including Kotlin:

Emmanuel Bernard

Apr 10, 2015, 6:00:12 AM4/10/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com, Tako Schotanus
I’d go for a Ceylon API for RxJava / RX.js.
The popularity and breath of the toolset is really good.

Tako Schotanus

Apr 10, 2015, 7:18:00 AM4/10/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I’d go for a Ceylon API for RxJava / RX.js.

I definitely hope someone is going to do that at some time, but for now I'd like to have the basic Observer/Observable interfaces available in the language module, something others can build on and be able to directly plug in into other/existing code.

(I already have a proof of concept lying around, just need to see if it's good enough)

-Tako

Renato Athaydes

Apr 11, 2015, 5:03:30 AM4/11/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com, ta...@codejive.org
We had a long discussion on the topic of observing properties in the context of CeylonFX (JavaFX has support for binding properties of any UI component as every UI property in JavaFX is Observable).

https://github.com/renatoathaydes/CeylonFX/issues/2

This may help.

Renato

Nikolay Rychkov

Jun 21, 2015, 7:13:42 PM6/21/15
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com, ta...@codejive.org
vert.x 3 has "reactive streams" (http://www.reactive-streams.org/) support http://vert-x3.github.io/docs/vertx-reactive-streams/java/ that is a latest implementation of reactive programming. Ceylon is intended to officially support vertx. So, question is when will we have Ceylon vertx 3 support?