[GSoC 2015] Improve the Ceylon IDE

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 13, 2015, 3:19:17 AM3/13/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am Rumesh Eranga Hapuarachchi, final year undergraduate in BSc. Computer Science at University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka. I have a good knowledge in Java and I would like to contribute to this project.
I have successfully completed many projects in java which are related to desktop applications( projects are hosted in github[1] ). Previously I have contributed to ownCloud project[2], OpenSeedbox[3], Brackets[4] and few small level open source projects. While working on those projects I got to experience opensource software development. I am confident I can use my knowledge, experience and passion towards the project to successfully complete it.

I have forked the project and now going through the code to  get a better understanding on the project. I'd like to know what are the improvements expected for this project as lot of improvements are listed in the issue list [5].

Thanks,

Rumesh Eranga Hapuarachchi

Stephane Epardaud

Mar 19, 2015, 11:13:21 AM3/19/15
to ceylon-dev
Hi,

Great to hear you want to help :)

I think the first step is for you to download the Ceylon sources and build it and be able to run a Ceylon IDE built from source. See "Building with Tycho/Maven 3" at https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-ide-eclipse/

When you have that ready we can find you an easy issue to work on that should only take an hour to fix so you can see if you enjoy doing this sort of work :)

Don't hesitate to ask for help on IRC on #ceylonlang.

Cheers.

Stéphane Épardaud

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 19, 2015, 11:33:34 PM3/19/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I already downloaded sources. Will work on few small bugs.

Thanks..

Gavin King

Mar 20, 2015, 5:39:33 AM3/20/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 21, 2015, 4:56:41 AM3/21/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I build the source successfully and now looking forward to fix a small issue to get start with.

Thanks,

Rumesh

Gavin King

Mar 21, 2015, 2:50:19 PM3/21/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 22, 2015, 12:14:17 AM3/22/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to start with either of following.

#1127:
For this would following steps work?
a. Add a menu item named "Format all source files" for right click on node in Ceylon Explorer
b. for each children in node, perform following
      if the children is a Ceylon source file: Format the source
      else if the children is a directory: recursively do b.
      else : skip file. (node is neither directory nor a Ceylon source file)

#1136:
    #1135 contains useful info. I could go through the implementation and get a better understanding on how to join if statements.

Which one in your opinion suits me most?

Thanks,

Rumesh

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 22, 2015, 11:01:50 PM3/22/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gavin,

I'll proceed with the issue #1136. I think I am able to handle it.

Rumesh

Rumesh Eranga

Mar 24, 2015, 11:12:31 PM3/24/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I started working in the issue #1136. I added a JointIfStatementProposal and added it into the CeylonCorrectionProcessor.
Now Join If Statements proposal appears under quick fixes if the given if statement can be joined. However I had some problems while joining the if statements and now I am trying to fix it.

Since the deadline for the GSoC proposal is on this Friday, I'd like to know the specific improvements on the IDE which are required for this GSoC so I could prepare my proposal.

Thanks,

Rumesh

Gavin King

Apr 13, 2015, 9:11:14 AM4/13/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Eeek, I didn't see this earlier, and I went ahead and implemented it myself (the issue was unassigned).

Sorry!!

Rumesh Eranga

Apr 13, 2015, 1:10:07 PM4/13/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
That's fine Gavin. I had it half implemented. I'll move on to another one (And will make sure to assign it to myself) :)

Gavin King

Apr 13, 2015, 7:04:45 PM4/13/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I feel bad. I should have paid better attention.