Additional compiler option `--incremental`

Tako Schotanus

Nov 15, 2016, 10:14:16 PM11/15/16
to ceylon-dev
Hi people,

over a week ago I introduced the `--include-dependencies` option for dealing with the automatic compilation of a module's dependencies if the sources are locally available.

Today I've added a companion option called `--incremental`. What it does is check which sources have been changed it compile only those. (Although if it detects that the current module had compile errors it will force a complete compilation.)

This new option works together with `--include-dependencies` to only compile those files necessary in any of the modules and their dependencies.

The `ceylon run` tool now enables this option by default.

And of course the option can be set in the config file using `compiler.incremental=true`.

Hope you think this useful.

Gnight!
-Tako

PS: Some technical info:

For this to work the final CAR file now has two extra files in its `META-INF`:

 - `hashes.txt` that contains a list of source file names + the SHA1 hash of their contents, and
 - `errors.txt` that contains a list of source files that had compile errors

Btw, older modules that don't have this information get marked for full compilation as well.

Gavin King

Nov 16, 2016, 2:25:46 AM11/16/16
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!