OBR - Yes, really

Tako Schotanus

Nov 9, 2015, 6:28:11 PM11/9/15
to ceylon-dev
Ok people, listen up, especially the core team working on the distribution!

I think the OBR merge scripts are ready now, you can look at the final(*) result at the following URL:

All the code is there in their new folders and all issues, milestones and labels. Everything should have been copied and correctly linked up.

*) The only thing is that the links in the issues that should point the their original copies have been escaped for now to prevent messing things up with unwanted test references. So instead of a clickable link "ceylon/ceylon-compiler#1234" you'll just see the text, no link.

So I'd like to ask all of you to look around in the repository and see if anything is broken.

(Yes, all the original creators of issues and comments are missing, GitHub doesn't let us set that field so we had to add that information to the text of the issue/comment itself. Unfortunate but the best we could do.)

My idea right now is to wait until friday evening at which point I will make all the ceylon core repositories read-only and I will start the merge process (about 8-9 hours total)

The rest of the weekend I'll work on getting the build working again, so please don't break it just before the merge! ;-)

IMPORTANT

Make sure that before friday all the branches that you want to keep have been pushed remotely because afterwards it will probably be a mostly manual process of copying files from one place to another.

So again please all take a good look at https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-obr-test so there won't be any surprises come friday.

Any other remarks, suggestions, just let me know.

Cheers,
-Tako

Gavin King

Nov 9, 2015, 6:47:53 PM11/9/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
We should move the spec out of the typechecker directory. But I assume
we don't need to do that now.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-dev/CAOJRyvrhKujOEt2NG1xqoyRXoHTt-4AWoyB5mMvx_SO6s-4aZA%40mail.gmail.com.

Gavin King
ga...@ceylon-lang.org
http://profiles.google.com/gavin.king
http://ceylon-lang.org
http://hibernate.org
http://seamframework.org

Tako Schotanus

Nov 9, 2015, 7:37:11 PM11/9/15
to ceylon-dev
Yes indeed, I had assumed you just wanted to keep "ceylon-spec" around for that.
Which would mean removing the spec from the new "typechecker" folder and removing the typechecker code from "ceylon-spec".
But we can easily do that afterwards.

-Tako

Tako Schotanus

Nov 9, 2015, 7:38:36 PM11/9/15
to ceylon-dev
Ah, we should decide what the new repository should be named!

 ceylon/ceylon
 ceylon/ceylon-core
 ceylon/ceylon-???

-Tako

Gavin King

Nov 9, 2015, 7:39:02 PM11/9/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com

Gavin King

Nov 9, 2015, 7:39:40 PM11/9/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com

Tako Schotanus

Nov 9, 2015, 8:05:45 PM11/9/15
to ceylon-dev

On 10 November 2015 at 01:39, Gavin King <gavin...@gmail.com> wrote:
ceylon-compiler ?

Unfortunately that name is already taken by an existing project.
This would not make it impossible but if that's what people want I need to know well before friday because it means changing (and testing) the import scripts!

-Tako

Gavin King

Nov 9, 2015, 8:08:07 PM11/9/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
FTR i'm suggesting, not advocating...
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-dev/CAOJRyvqyNBw4mUXGhHeMFmKAbsYWyFPq%2BjV2chJBtrwLGibPsw%40mail.gmail.com.

Tako Schotanus

Nov 9, 2015, 8:08:11 PM11/9/15
to ceylon-dev
Although it might still cause problems with all the links that might be out there in messages, blogs, Google caches, etc that would suddenly point to something completely different. So personally I would suggest choosing a different name and keep the old repositories around for some time (read-only of course).

-Tako

Roland Tepp

Nov 10, 2015, 5:21:03 AM11/10/15
to ceylon-dev, ta...@codejive.org
I vote for ceylon/ceylon.

Tako Schotanus

Nov 11, 2015, 12:14:44 PM11/11/15
to ceylon-dev
IMPORTANT

Guys, I've had almost no feedback, that can't be right.

If you think everything's okay then at least least leave a +1 or something to indicate that as far as you are concerned the merge can progress as planned.

-Tako

Gavin King

Nov 11, 2015, 12:47:27 PM11/11/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com

Lucas Werkmeister

Nov 11, 2015, 12:58:39 PM11/11/15
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
One thing I noticed is that many of the migrated issue comments have this form:

[@original_author] > quote of previous message

comment, referring to quote

where the quote is no longer a Markdown quote because of the author marker before it.
I think it would be a good idea to place the marker on a separate line if the comment has multiple lines (or perhaps just if it begins with a '>').

Tako Schotanus

Nov 11, 2015, 1:40:56 PM11/11/15
to ceylon-dev
Thanks Lucas, I should definitely change that!

-Tako

Tom Bentley

Nov 12, 2015, 4:17:02 AM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
Basically that looks great.

A few questions:

When you reference the old issue at the end of the issue description -- why isn't that a hyperlink back to the original issue?

The folder for the jvm compiler is "compiler-java", but tag for that project is c-compiler-jvm. Could we make those consistent? Also was there a reason all the project tags start with "c-"?

I think we might want to tidy up the tags a bit, but that can be done after the merge.

But really these are all quite minor. Overall this looks great.

Tom

Tako Schotanus

Nov 12, 2015, 4:34:34 AM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
On 12 November 2015 at 10:17, Tom Bentley <t.j.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Basically that looks great.

A few questions:

When you reference the old issue at the end of the issue description -- why isn't that a hyperlink back to the original issue?

*) The only thing is that the links in the issues that should point the their original copies have been escaped for now to prevent messing things up with unwanted test references. So instead of a clickable link "ceylon/ceylon-compiler#1234" you'll just see the text, no link.

Remember the large quantities of messages that would appear in our repositories of the type "X referenced this issue from Y", several times repeated for each time the merge was run. This is to prevent that,

The folder for the jvm compiler is "compiler-java", but tag for that project is c-compiler-jvm. Could we make those consistent?

Good point, although we could easily change that afterwards too.

Also was there a reason all the project tags start with "c-"?

No particular reason besides making it really obvious they were "components", otherwise to lose themselves a bit between all the other tags.
But as you say below we can rename stuff afterwards to people's liking.

I think we might want to tidy up the tags a bit, but that can be done after the merge.

Indeed.

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 12, 2015, 4:59:06 AM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
Great!

- Can we get better than "2015-10-28T14:57:52Z" for dates inserted in comments? Not very readable.
- Is it supposed to build ATM? Have you updated the build scripts?

Otherwise it looks good.

Stéphane Épardaud

Tako Schotanus

Nov 12, 2015, 5:09:04 AM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
On 12 November 2015 at 10:59, Stephane Epardaud <stephane...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great!

- Can we get better than "2015-10-28T14:57:52Z" for dates inserted in comments? Not very readable.

What do you suggest? Simpy "2015-10-28 14:57:52" ?

- Is it supposed to build ATM? Have you updated the build scripts?

Stephane Epardaud

Nov 12, 2015, 5:12:00 AM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
>  What do you suggest? Simpy "2015-10-28 14:57:52" ?

Yes

The rest of the weekend I'll work on getting the build working again, so please don't break it just before the merge! ;-)  "

OK.

Enrique

Nov 12, 2015, 3:32:35 PM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev, ta...@codejive.org
Do we really need to know the exact time? Perhaps the date alone is enough

Tako Schotanus

Nov 12, 2015, 4:41:49 PM11/12/15
to ceylon-dev
Well it's not really important at all I think (you could even go to the original issue to see when it was closed and by whom).
But does it bother anyone?

-Tako