[GSOC][2016][Ceylon] Support for SourceMaps

Minudika Malshan

Mar 1, 2016, 6:29:04 AM3/1/16
to ceylon-dev
I am a 3rd year undergraduate student in Computer Science and
Engineering of University of Moratuwa,Sri Lanka.
I would like to contribute to above subjected project in thie year GSOC.
Please give me instructions on getting started with this..

Thank you!
Minudika

Enrique

Mar 1, 2016, 3:01:19 PM3/1/16
to ceylon-dev
The goal of this project is to generate an additional file along with the generated JS module, which will contain the source map between the generated code and the original Ceylon code.

One way to do this is to have a component that will store all the mappings and encode them at the end. The different visitors will need access to this component, to add new mappings.

The location in the Ceylon source is easy because each Node of the AST already contains its location. The problem is the location in the generated code. So perhaps instead of a new component, we need to modify the component that writes to the output file.

Minudika Malshan

Mar 1, 2016, 3:31:59 PM3/1/16
to ceylon-dev
Hi Enrique,

Thanks for your reply.
I did some research about Ceylon.
Since the Ceylon project is actually made up of several smaller components, It's little bit time consuming to go through all the components and get familiar with them.
Could you please give me some links for the source code which is related to this Gsoc project?
Also I'm grateful if you can give me some resources which may help with this implementation.

Regards,
Minudika

Pratyush Talreja

Mar 1, 2016, 3:55:35 PM3/1/16
to ceylon-dev

Hi

I am pursuing Masters at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay in the field of Geo-informatics. I had completed Bachelors in the field of Information Technology. I am having a work experience of 1 year working with Cognizant Technology Solutions in Java domain.

I am currently working on "Large Scale Spatial Data Processing on GPU". I have developed an Android application for my Minor Project. Also, our team won first prize in "mApp your way" at "16th ESRI India User Conference" where we developed an Android app. http://www.csre.iitb.ac.in/csre-events/156-esri-india-app-development-challenge-winners is the link for the same.

This is regarding "Support for SourceMaps", the project idea selected for GSoC'16. Congratulations Sir. I am very much interested in working with you on the mentioned topic.

Can you please help me with the further steps.

Waiting for your positive reply.

Thanking you.

Minudika Malshan

Mar 1, 2016, 4:03:20 PM3/1/16
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pratyush,

It's really nice to meet someone with the same interests in open source developing.
Yes  sure we can share our knowledge with each other. That's what FOSS stands for right? :)
But Gsoc is counting on individual participants. So participating Gsoc as a team will not be accepted by Gsoc terms and regulations.
However I'm always ready to share my knowledge and experience in opensource development and programming.
Happy coding!

Cheers.
Minudika

Minudika Malshan
Undergraduate
University of Moratuwa.

Tako Schotanus

Mar 1, 2016, 5:37:22 PM3/1/16
to ceylon-dev
So what do we do now? Make you guys fight for it? ^^

-Tako

Pratyush Talreja

Mar 2, 2016, 2:55:30 AM3/2/16
to ceylon-dev, ta...@codejive.org
Sure Sir. Whatever you prefer.

Stephane Epardaud

Mar 3, 2016, 4:24:46 AM3/3/16
to ceylon-dev
I'll clarify that it was a joke ;)

Stéphane Épardaud

Stephane Epardaud

Mar 3, 2016, 4:25:05 AM3/3/16
to ceylon-dev
Hi,

This is great news. I've put more info at https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon/issues/2498

Don't hesitate to ask questions on the issue if you have any.

Cheers.

Stéphane Épardaud