[GSoC] Project ideas on Ceylon

Pubudu Fernando

Mar 4, 2016, 5:23:44 AM3/4/16
to ceylon-dev
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year Computer Engineering undergraduate at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I came across the Ceylon projects while browsing projects for GSoC and it immediately caught my attention for obvious reasons :D I am interested in language internals and have taken Theory of Computing and Programming Languages modules last semester. I haven't picked a particular project yet. But I am interested in the projects API Diffs, JVM Compatibility Checker and Markdown Processor. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the requirements for those 3 projects?

API Diffs
If I understood correctly, the requirement is to add a new feature to the Ceylon doc generator: the ability to generate API diffs in HTML format. Currently, the doc generator is a command line tool right? So the task would be to add a new command/option to that tool to generate the API diffs?

JVM Compatibility Checker
What does it mean to say 2 Ceylon binaries are binary-compatible? Does that mean one binary can be used by the other without modification to the binary? i.e: whether one binary compiled, targeting a specific JVM, can be used by another binary compiled targeting a different JVM?

Markdown Processor
This projects probably interests me the most. This would mean writing a converter to convert from Markdown to HTML right? What's the end goal of this processor? Is this intended as a standalone tool? Maybe as a sample application done using Ceylon? Or is this intended to be added/published as a library, which other Ceylon apps can make use of?

Would appreciate it if you can address these queries. :)

Thanks
Pubudu

Tomáš Hradec

Mar 4, 2016, 5:30:52 AM3/4/16
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
Below are related issues, please target your question there

Thanks
T.