Postgraduate Certificate in 21st Century Teaching & Learning - Applications open

Jake Byrne

Aug 18, 2015, 10:23:56 AM8/18/15
to CESI-list
Apologies for any cross posting.
Please feel free to forward the email below to anyone you may think is interested.

Postgraduate Certificate in
21st Century Teaching & Learning

With the Schools of Education and Computer Science and Statistics, Bridge 21, and the Trinity Access Programme

Through creative teamwork, this Level 9 qualification explores how 21st century learning can be integrated in the classroom. In addition to core modules in 'Digital Media Literacy' and 'Inclusive Education', option modules include computer programming courses and 'STEM Pedagogy'.

Total cost for 6 modules €300

Note: Requires a Teaching Council number to apply

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House, Trinity College, Dublin 2

"Learning is experience. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

Twitter: @bridge21learn

Noeleen Leahy

Aug 18, 2015, 11:15:54 AM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
€300 for 6 modules?

Is that correct or is there a 0 missing?
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cesi-list.

Jake Byrne

Aug 18, 2015, 11:21:04 AM8/18/15
to CESI-list
Hi Noeleen,

€300 for 6 modules is correct.

It is subsidized by funding from Google (where some modules will take place).

If you have any other queries please don't hesitate in asking.

Jake

John Whitty

Aug 18, 2015, 11:26:02 AM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,
Thanks for email about the course.

Do you have information regarding course time commitments - number of lectures per week, how many hours, where do lectures take place etc.?

Thanks for information,
regards, John

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Iseult Mangan

Aug 18, 2015, 11:32:51 AM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Interested in course Info if you have it too!
Suitable for distance/online study?
Iseult

Sent from my iPhone

Marie O Connell

Aug 18, 2015, 11:40:25 AM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Iseult,

Could you send me course info as well please? There seems to be some problem opening that Youtube clip.

thanks,
Marie

From: iseult...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CESI List] Postgraduate Certificate in 21st Century Teaching & Learning - Applications open
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:32:31 +0100
To: cesi...@googlegroups.com

Denise Leslie

Aug 18, 2015, 11:44:52 AM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

I am also interested in the course and would appreciate a little more info about onsite time commitments.

Denise

Sent from my iPhone

Armelle MANGAN

Aug 18, 2015, 12:01:16 PM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com, Denise Leslie

Hello Jake,

I would be interested too. Thank you for sending me more information

Regards

Armelle Mangan

Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Sony Xperia™

---- Denise Leslie a écrit ----

Jake Byrne

Aug 18, 2015, 12:06:12 PM8/18/15
to CESI-list
Hi John, Iseult, Marie, Denise and Armelle,

Based on last years delivery (may be subject to minor changes for this year):

6 modules must be completed from 11 options (Digital Media module is required)

Each module is a full Saturday 9:30am - 5pm and a Friday evening 6pm-9pm. Each module has an assignment associated with the course content. The Digital Media, STEM and computer programming modules will all have assignments that involve designing, delivering and reflecting on a learning 21st Century experience.

Workshops will be hosted either at Trinity College Dublin or The Foundry at Google's offices in Dublin.

2-3 modules before Christmas and 3-4 modules after Christmas, depending on options selected and availability of places on that module.

As these workshops will be hands-on and practice driven, the course isn't suitable for distance/online study.

Please let me know if there is any further information I can clarify or provide.

Kind regards,

Keith Michael Gregg

Aug 18, 2015, 2:36:52 PM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I want to do this! do you just email interest, or do you need to sign up and pay and all?

Regards,

photo
Keith Michael Gregg
Creativity Coach, Designer, Teacher, Trainer

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error

sally ronayne

Aug 18, 2015, 2:39:05 PM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jake,
Could you send me on any info. I am particularly interested in where and when and how frequently the tutorials are being held
Thanks Sally

Ann Marie Kelleher

Aug 18, 2015, 4:14:50 PM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

I am very interested in this course.

Is it open to primary teachers?

Thanks,
Ann Marie

Orla

Aug 18, 2015, 5:08:45 PM8/18/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

I am very interested in doing this course. Would it be possible to get the calendar for modules and  module descriptors.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Orla Quigley

Keith Michael Gregg

Ger44

Aug 19, 2015, 11:46:49 AM8/19/15
to CESI-list
Hello Jake,
I am interested in this, I am just wondering if there is any way that this post grad cert. could be used as a stepping stone to a Masters in this area.  Your response would be appreciated.  Many thanks Geraldine

Keith Michael Gregg

Aug 19, 2015, 12:05:49 PM8/19/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

I was taking to a group of at teachers I shared this worth and one who has done this says that you can use it as year one of a three year masters

Ger44

Aug 19, 2015, 12:59:29 PM8/19/15
to CESI-list
Thanks Keith for the reply, I think I will try and get confirmation of same from TCD regarding this - if that was the case, only 2 modules would need to be in second year and then thesis in year 3??
If anyone else could give me direction regarding this I would appreciate it.

Ger

Jake Rowan Byrne

Aug 19, 2015, 1:24:22 PM8/19/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ger,

as a member of the course delivery team, I can confirm that you can use this certificate as a stepping stone to a Masters.

There are currently two Masters paths available afterwards, the M.Ed. from the School of Education and the M.Sc. in Technology and Learning from the school of Computer Science and Statistics.

Credits from the certificate can be put towards one of these Masters, as the masters modules are worth differing amounts of credits it's not strictly 2 more modules and a thesis, as it depends on the modules selected.

I hope that answers your query. Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House, Trinity College, Dublin 2

"Learning is experience. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

Twitter: @bridge21learn
Web:
www.bridge21.ie
Tel: +353 1 896 1397

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Miriam Cameron

Aug 19, 2015, 5:36:49 PM8/19/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Would you be able to provide details of modules to be covered ( video link in active).

Also could you give an idea of time committee the required, how many Friday evenings and Saturdays .

Thanks in advance

Miriam

Derek Maher

Aug 19, 2015, 5:43:23 PM8/19/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I have last years handbook from the course. It's 68 pages so it should answer a lot of questions for you.

Just to state again that it is the 2014/2015 handbook so I'm sure that they'll be changing for this year.

Link:

Best,

Derek

Sent from my iPhone

Orla

Sep 8, 2015, 8:02:40 AM9/8/15
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Are there any places still available on this course. Went to register online and got a message saying closing date has passed!

Kind regards

Orla Quigley

On 18 Aug 2015, at 15:23, Jake Byrne <ja...@bridge21.ie> wrote:

Jake Byrne

Apr 22, 2016, 7:36:58 AM4/22/16
to CESI-list
Hi everyone,

applications for the level 9 Postgraduate Certificate in 21st Century Teaching & Learning are open again for this year.

Please see the attached documents for more information.

Please note: the fee have increased slightly to €425 (including application and graduation fee). It is also my understanding that this year the course is open to educators in general teachers, (school librarians, CoderDojo mentors etc.)

The links in the email from last year are also still valid.

For more information or queries please contact the course administrator Megan Kuster -meku...@tcd.ie  or 01 896 4398

Kind regards,

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House, Trinity College, Dublin 2

"Learning is experience. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

Twitter: @bridge21learn
Web:
www.bridge21.ie
Tel: +353 1 896 1397

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 3:23:56 PM UTC+1, Jake Byrne wrote:
PG Cert Flyer.pdf
PG Cert course Letter 2016_17.docx

Jake Byrne

Aug 10, 2016, 10:40:39 AM8/10/16
to CESI-list
Hi everyone,

just to let you know there are still a number of places available on this course.

Application link: https://www.tcd.ie/courses/postgraduate/az/course.php?id=DPCED-TCTL-1P09
For more information or queries please contact the course administrator Megan Kuster -meku...@tcd.ie  or 01 896 4398

Kind regards,

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House, Trinity College, Dublin 2

"Learning is experience. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

Twitter: @bridge21learn
Web:
www.bridge21.ie
Tel: +353 1 896 1397

Mob: +353 87 64 53 083

Jake Byrne

Sep 1, 2016, 7:40:21 AM9/1/16
to CESI-list
Hi all,

just to highlight that applications close for this course on September 11th.

If you are interested please see the attached  PDF for more information.

Kind regards,

Jake
PG Cert Flyer.pdf

Keith Michael Gregg

Sep 1, 2016, 11:31:26 AM9/1/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Having done this course last year, I can highly recommend it. Even coming from a techy background - I still learned loads. You will meet loads of amazing educators and learn so much!

Regards,

Keith Michael Gregg
Designer, Teacher, Trainer

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 1, 2016, 11:51:04 AM9/1/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Something I'd love today but I fear I'll have to let it pass this year.

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi-list+...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Keith Michael Gregg

Sep 1, 2016, 11:54:47 AM9/1/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Its very doable! I had a hectic year last year, but I was still able to do it (and do very well in it I may add). Seriously do consider it! Can't recommend it enough

Regards,

 Keith Michael Gregg

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 1, 2016, 12:11:26 PM9/1/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Ahhhh you're just showing off now. :)

I'm based in Mayo working during the week so doing anything
In Dublin is just a hike, maybe next year :)

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi-list+...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 1, 2016, 12:23:27 PM9/1/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Can I please point out that I'm exhausted after a crazy day/week and I'd like to retract my earlier comment "I'd Love Today" and replace it with " I'd love to do!!!!!!" 😂😂
Always read msg before you press send !!

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi-list+...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Keith Michael Gregg

Jake Rowan Byrne

Sep 2, 2016, 8:33:47 AM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the endorsement Keith!

Hassan, yes coming from Mayo would be a trek alright (although it has been done!). We have been looking at partially supporting the course through local education centres, but we'd need enough local participation to make it worthwhile. I'm also not sure how close we'd be able to get to Mayo.

Although the course is likely to run again next year, I'm not sure if it will be as heavily subsidized as it is this year. €498 for a  level 9 postgraduate certificate is pretty good value.

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House,

Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin

Dublin 2, Ireland.

"Learning is experience. Everything else is just information." - Albert Einstein

Twitter: @bridge21learn
Web:
www.bridge21.ie
Tel: +353 1 896 1397

Mob: +353 87 64 53 083

Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin is ranked 1st in Ireland

and in the top 100 world universities by the QS World University Rankings.

 ––––––––––––

Jake Byrne

Programme Manager
Bridge21 CS-STEM Programme, Sponsored by Google

Bridge21, Oriel House,

Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath, Ollscoil Átha Cliath

Baile Átha Cliath 2, Éire.

+353 1 896 1397

Twitter: @bridge21team

cia...@bridge21.ie

www.bridge21.ie

Coláiste na Tríonóide, Baile Átha Cliath – an ollscoil is fearr in Éirinn agus ceann den 100

ollscoil is fearr ar domhan de réir Rangú QS ar Ollscoileanna an Domhain

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Keith Michael Gregg <keithm...@gmail.com> wrote:
ah no bother. Its only weekends for contact. You do six modules, and they were a friday evening and all day Saturday - module depending. I am sure it will run again though

Regards,

Keith Michael Gregg
Designer, Teacher, Trainer
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

John Meaney

Sep 2, 2016, 8:46:36 AM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I did this course last year and travelled from Mayo.

The course was excellent, well presented and offered great opportunities to to network with other educators.

When I picked my modules, I sought the ones that were offered on consecutive days i.e. Friday / Saturday and this made it a lot easier. There are a few modules that are offered on Saturday and the following Fri evening and it was not possible to do these.

Overall, I have no hesitation in recommending the course.

Regards

John Meaney
Westport

Jake Rowan Byrne

Sep 2, 2016, 8:51:52 AM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John!

Just to note that we are trying to reduce the number of additional Fridays this year, opting to stay longer on the Saturdays and offering some allocated times for online support. The aim is to make most of the modules just one day, with an online clinic to support the assignments.
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

catherine whelan

Sep 2, 2016, 9:53:07 AM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I also completed this PG Cert last year. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was interesting, innovative and engaging. I travelled from Waterford.

I was interested in all 12 modules so I chose my 6 modules with the assignment dates in mind.  Five teachers from my school are attending this year.

Feel free to contact me for extra information.
Best Regards,
Catherine Whelan

Sent from my HTC
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cesi-list+...@googlegroups.com

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

michael ruane

Sep 2, 2016, 10:44:51 AM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

First time poster here!

I did this course and it was very good. Am going teaching computers this year for the first time ever and I intend using a lot of what I learned on the course.

You get plenty of time to do assignments and they are flexible if you need an extra few days.

The assignments involve creating learning opportunities for students in your school e.g introduction to scratch, digital media literacy and you can do them with large groups or a small number of students.

Some of the Fridays were cancelled with us staying longer on the Saturday for the assignment support and this worked well.

When I informed my Principal about this course she told the BOM who paid the fee for me and also gave me a small sum of money towards expenses.

In summary, well worth doing!

Michael Ruane

Sep 2, 2016, 1:43:05 PM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering if this course would be more suited to secondary school teachers?
I am a primary teacher and ICT co-ordinator in my school.
It sounds like a very interesting course!

Fiona Hayden

Sent from my iPhone
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cesi-list.
<PG Cert Flyer.pdf>
<PG Cert course Letter 2016_17.docx>

Keith Michael Gregg

Sep 2, 2016, 1:46:43 PM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fiona,

there was a lot of different teachers on it last year. I was teaching Mostly FE and a splash of Second Level, but there were a few primary schools, and indeed teaching principals doing the course. There are lots of IT but also some great managementy style modules, such as Leadership and Change management, inclusive education etc... which I highly recommend.

Regards,

 Keith Michael Gregg

[...]

catherine whelan

Sep 2, 2016, 2:12:28 PM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fiona,

I am a primary school teacher and found the course to be excellent.

Catherine

Sent from my HTC

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Muireann Harrington

Sep 2, 2016, 2:54:27 PM9/2/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Living in Cork me as the course is out for me but an earlier email mentioned the course being offered at an education centre if enough numbers were to sign up. Is this an actual possibility and if yes , how many people would be needed to make it viable?

Thanks,
Muireann

Fiona McMenamin

Sep 5, 2016, 3:21:18 PM9/5/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm also in Cork and might be interested in it too if it was run through the local education centre.
thanks,
Fiona

michael ruane

Sep 5, 2016, 4:13:25 PM9/5/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Just to say...it really only involves 6 trips to Dublin,  2 or 3 of which involve going to Gordon House [Google HQ] which is pretty cool. The others were mostly in Bridge 21 at Oriel House behind TCD which is also impressive.

Sep 12, 2016, 8:06:59 AM9/12/16
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fiona and Muireann,

sorry about the delay in reply I just had to confirm what we are able to do.

We would need at least 15 people participating locally on the Course in order to run some workshops in the Cork area. However, you would still need to attend a number of core modules in Dublin.

Please get in touch if you need any further information.